Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SalSports

I talked with Bills G Richie Incognito yesterday, who was very open/honest about where his life was & is (14:30 mark) http://media.wgr550.com/a/107935624/8-2-sports-talk-sunday-with-sal-capaccio.htm

Highly recommend spending a few minutes listening to it.

I've been one of Richie's fiercest critics but he does sound very genuine. From a completely humanistic point of view, it's a good thing if he's found some structure and happiness off the field. If it sticks, good on him.

Read what Rex said.

1) TT and EJ have been relegated to the 2's & 3's because MEh is supposed to be the pro and the other 2 are in development.

2) Defenses are normally ahead of offenses in early camp.

that is all

Let's also recognize:

1) Rex is a master salesmen and not someone I would like to play poker with... Of course he is offering "reasons"

2) Our guys are struggling on 7v7 drills...vs air - balls overthrown, underthrown, behind, etc., have nothing to do with defense

3) In todays NFL, "developmental" QB's are named starters with regularity to bolster confidence

Insight aside, the QB position is unfortunately looking exactly like what every sports writer in America said it would - our achilles. We can pull out some modicum of comfort from what Rex or anyone in the organization is saying to the press or fans, but the smell test at SJF isn't meshing up with what Rex is saying or fans want to believe. Still exciting to see if Rex can manufacture playoffs like he did in NY with subpar QB play...Better tools here, so I am thinking yes...

Assume nothing, give everything is Chris Hogan's mantra

This might be Chris Hogan's third training camp, and he might be coming off his most successful NFL season as a receiver, but he's taking nothing for granted in training camp.

First day of Bills Training Camp (2:01)

It was a beautiful day in Pittsford, NY as thousands of fans came to St. John Fisher College to see the Buffalo Bills first day of training camp.

As I feared, the next several weeks around here are going to be absolutely brutal (with no QB stepping forward). I wish I had the self discipline to stay away until September.

But I don't. :bag:

As I feared, the next several weeks around here are going to be absolutely brutal (with no QB stepping forward). I wish I had the self discipline to stay away until September.

maybe hogan can play QB or didn't Freddie play a little QB in high school or college?? WE could run the wishbone with all these RBs and Freddie could be the QB now talk about a very inventive 1900's offense that would be

Highly predictable behavior. I can't listen to WGR either as it mirrors the same panic mode. :death:

Highly predictable behavior. I can't listen to WGR either as it mirrors the same panic mode. :death:

You don't find the fact that none of the three QBs have stepped up yet a bit troubling? Three practices is a red herring. These guys are looking bad in 7 on 7 with no pressure.

You don't find the fact that none of the three QBs have stepped up yet a bit troubling? Three practices is a red herring. These guys are looking bad in 7 on 7 with no pressure.

If it keeps up then I expect to see either a big push for Kaepernick (doubtful, but who knows) or RGIII (much more likely IMO).

The RGIII scenario is that the Bills would be just rolling the dice on a guy who was once a very productive player. The Redskins don't want him and the Bills could become desperate enough to do a deal.

You know the Bills are starting to panic with each and every bad practice by the QBs.

I'm not as worried about that, because they are installing a brand new offense and they're going against a great and experienced defense. Roman may just be testing the limits of each of the three guys to see what they can, and can't do, before fine-tuning the playbook.

What I'm concerned about is the report by a credible poster that they're looking to cut bait on EJ already. I find that to be beyond distressing - it's downright negligent. If EJ is so bad the team is ready to cut him or trade him for a bag of underinflated footballs in the middle of his third offseason, and their plan at QB is to move forward with Matt Cassell (their second choice among vet QBs this offseason) and Tyrod Taylor, someone needs to be fired. It's irresponsible and absurd that the Bills are in this situation right now. They've done nothing in the past two drafts to deal with the hole at QB. I'm sorry to be hard on Whaley and perhaps overly alarmist, and he's built a great roster at every other position - but the level of negligence just appalls me.

I'm not as worried about that, because they are installing a brand new offense and they're going against a great and experienced defense. Roman may just be testing the limits of each of the three guys to see what they can, and can't do, before fine-tuning the playbook.

What I'm concerned about is the report by a credible poster that they're looking to cut bait on EJ already. I find that to be beyond distressing - it's downright negligent. If EJ is so bad the team is ready to cut him or trade him for a bag of underinflated footballs in the middle of his third offseason, and their plan at QB is to move forward with Matt Cassell (their second choice among vet QBs this offseason) and Tyrod Taylor, someone needs to be fired. It's irresponsible and absurd that the Bills are in this situation right now. They've done nothing in the past two drafts to deal with the hole at QB. I'm sorry to be hard on Whaley and perhaps overly alarmist, and he's built a great roster at every other position - but the level of negligence just appalls me.

I can't get on board with that thought process for one reason: in 2013, they had nothing that even resembled a developmental QB on the roster. They absolutely had to draft a guy, and they took the guy with the best physical tools, who also had a terrific work ethic and attitude. They knew it was something of a long-shot (as were all of the guys in that class), so they took their shot. I can't blame them for doing it, and I don't see anyone else from that draft that I think had more upside.

I don't think that's a fireable offense. Now, had Whaley traded up (and not down) for EJ, that would be fireable IMO.

Troubling yes. Mitigating factor to be considered IMO is new players in a new offense practicing against good to great defensive players in a defensive scheme that's designed to create confusion. Total FN panic to start searching high and low under garbage cans for other teams' dregs QBs.? Nope! Not me.

EJ was never supposed to be some great blue chip talent that would come in and be the man at QB from day one. Around the league that QB draft class was almost universally viewed as mediocre and uninspiring.

Just go and read this list of names from EJ's QB class:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/year/2013/quarterbacks

Had the Bills not taken EJ in round one it's likely there would have been zero QBs taken in the first round that year. That tells you something, given how many get picked every year in round one.

He's basically been exactly what the scouting report said he would be. On the other hand, looking at that list there has to be ONE guy who can make it right? lol

Agreed. And as I have said many times, don't forget that we traded DOWN when we selected EJ. This strongly indicates that they were ready to "lose" him and had another qb rated about as high.

You just don't trade down if a player you think is your franchise quarterback is on the board. It doesn't happen, or so I think.

If it keeps up then I expect to see either a big push for Kaepernick (doubtful, but who knows) or RGIII (much more likely IMO).

The RGIII scenario is that the Bills would be just rolling the dice on a guy who was once a very productive player. The Redskins don't want him and the Bills could become desperate enough to do a deal.

You know the Bills are starting to panic with each and every bad practice by the QBs.

Have we seen any sign that Washington would let RGIII go? Granted, I'm all for it and even with his injury history I think he would work well with this offense, but I haven't heard any trade rumors. In fact, didn't they just pick up his option?

Purely hypothetical, but what would you offer for him?

If EJ in his third year can't beat out a journeyman backup who is sucking in practice then that is a HUGE "career changer" red flag for him. I've been a big supporter of EJ, but Teddy Bridgwater took about 15 seconds into his rookie year to make Cassel expendable.

I'm almost certain that Whaley is going to make a deal for a name QB who's had NFL success if this three-headed bad QB play continues (the price will no doubt hurt their future drafts, but that's the point it might be reaching).

Have we seen any sign that Washington would let RGIII go? Granted, I'm all for it and even with his injury history I think he would work well with this offense, but I haven't heard any trade rumors. In fact, didn't they just pick up his option?

Purely hypothetical, but what would you offer for him?

They did pick up his option and he is going in as the starter. I have my doubts whether Gruden will be able to resurrect Griffin's play though and it would not surprise me if he ultimately went in another direction, perhaps after the season starts. For now, they are sticking with their investment and the plan is to make the RG3 investment pay off. He might be available next year. Not sure what will be left of him after another year of Gruden though.

If EJ in his third year can't beat out a journeyman backup who is sucking in practice then that is a HUGE "career changer" red flag for him. I've been a big supporter of EJ, but Teddy Bridgwater took about 15 seconds into his rookie year to make Cassel expendable.

I'm almost certain that Whaley is going to make a deal for a name QB who's had NFL success if this three-headed bad QB play continues (the price will no doubt hurt their future drafts, but that's the point it might be reaching).

Yup and yup