Future Power Rankings (next 3 seasons)

To project which NFL franchises are in the best shape for the next three seasons, we asked our panel of experts -- John Clayton, Louis Riddick and Mike Sando -- to rate each team on a scale of 0-100 in five categories: roster (excluding quarterback), quarterback, draft, front office and coaching.

#26 - Buffalo Bills

The overview: The Bills improved four spots overall largely because they jumped from 29th to 16th in the front-office category. They also moved from 16th to 10th in non-QB roster. It's just tough to climb up too much in the overall standings with Matt Cassel, EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor at quarterback. Buffalo ranked tied for last with Cleveland in that critical category. Because the front office has done a good job of setting up the roster overall, the Bills can make a big jump overall next year, provided they find more stability behind center (no easy task). --Mike Sando

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13129838/ranking-nfl-teams-1-32-based-their-outlook-next-three-seasons-nfl

anything lower than 20 is utter BS and s/b ignored

Pretty much this ^^

QB is really important but the Bills had the 19th pick in this draft. They finished ahead of 18 teams and by ALL accounts improved this offseason. They are not old either. I'm having a tough time comprehending how as they improve they drop 13 spots over the next 3 years?

Disagree... it's a QB driven league, and without a proven QB it's tough to predict longer term success for the franchise, which I think this ranking is based on. Not what our record will be this upcoming season, but if a few years down the road we're still looking good/stable. If you have a QB you can absorb losing star players to free agency, without a QB you can't... and thus, a low ranking is born.

Disagree... it's a QB driven league, and without a proven QB it's tough to predict longer term success for the franchise, which I think this ranking is based on. Not what our record will be this upcoming season, but if a few years down the road we're still looking good/stable. If you have a QB you can absorb losing star players to free agency, without a QB you can't... and thus, a low ranking is born.

26th would mean that the Bills pick 6th in the draft. Dareus is our only top 6 pick (besides Watkins trade) since Mike Williams. I don't know how they can project that as the norm. Edited by Kirby Jackson

26th would mean that the Bills pick 6th in the draft. Dareus is our only top 6 pick (besides Watkins trade) since Mike Williams. I don't know how they can project that as the norm.

Without a QB, and with some big re-signings coming up, and possibly KW/Mario retiring, it's pretty easy to see how our future outlook is dim. Even if this season is looking very optimistic.

Edited by Dorkington

Without a QB, and with some big re-signings coming up, and possibly KW/Mario retiring, it's pretty easy to see how our future outlook is dim. Even if this season is looking very optimistic.

Mario is not going to retire in the next 3 seasons.

There is no way we should be 26th. I could understand some drop off from 13th (essentially where we finished last year) but 26th? No way. 22nd would be the absolute floor for me and I think 16-20 would be most accurate.

Mario is not going to retire in the next 3 seasons.

There is no way we should be 26th. I could understand some drop off from 13th (essentially where we finished last year) but 26th? No way. 22nd would be the absolute floor for me and I think 16-20 would be most accurate.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Even in the last decade the Bills have only been 26th or worse once. I don't see them being worse in the next 3 years then in the last 13 years (or whatever it has been).

To project which NFL franchises are in the best shape for the next three seasons, we asked our panel of experts -- John Clayton, Louis Riddick and Mike Sando -- to rate each team on a scale of 0-100 in five categories: roster (excluding quarterback), quarterback, draft, front office and coaching.

#26 - Buffalo Bills

The overview: The Bills improved four spots overall largely because they jumped from 29th to 16th in the front-office category. They also moved from 16th to 10th in non-QB roster. It's just tough to climb up too much in the overall standings with Matt Cassel, EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor at quarterback. Buffalo ranked tied for last with Cleveland in that critical category. Because the front office has done a good job of setting up the roster overall, the Bills can make a big jump overall next year, provided they find more stability behind center (no easy task). --Mike Sando

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13129838/ranking-nfl-teams-1-32-based-their-outlook-next-three-seasons-nfl

Yet another reason ESPN gets no clicks or views from me unless it's unavoidable (NFL or MLB games that I can't see elsewhere).

This (the poll, not the post) is one of the most stupid things I've ever seen.

Wow. Given the vagaries of the NFL, you'd have to be a soothsayer to predict 2-3 years out. Star players get injured or surprisingly retire. Coaches unexpectedly quit or get fired. Unheralded draft picks and no name coaches sometimes emerge as superstars. Key personnel sometimes succumb to drug, alcohol, or other personal problems. Owners sometimes die or sell, leading to wholesale changes.

It's hard enough to predict the upcoming season let alone the next 3!

I guess the exercise is interesting but I'd love to revisit this 4 years from and see how accurate the "panel of experts" was. My guess is that the accuracy of the rankings (versus actual 3 year won-loss records) won't be spectacularly high. Their rankings versus Year 3 standings will be low, I'd wager.

Despite Buffalo's #26 ranking here, I'm personally happy with the direction of the Bills.

It's fair, the Bills have a QB situation that's not that good and doesn't stand too much chance of improving in the next 3 seasons (If they go with a rookie after this upcoming season they will have to groom him for a couple of seasons), also our cap situation next season is a bit concerning. So while the rest of the roster is loaded for the most part, the team has a better front office and an owner will to spend there remains some concerns going forward. But !@#$ it it's about this season.

Only way 26 makes sense is counting qb, and then penalizing both rest of roster and front office for the lack of qb.

Really if it even thirds between the 3 and independent rankings of the 3 I'd venture we are probably pretty close to 10-15.

Qb- bottom 5

Roster- top 5

Front office- better than average

Average of those slightly better than average?

You can just as easily argue the opposite. If you have a top rated QB, you're going to devote a much larger part of your salary cap for qb, thus not having enough money left to sign other players and you will lose players to FA.

Will be interesting to see what happens in Seattle. If R Wilson gets even close to what he wants, there won't be enough money left for others and Wilson is not elite enough to carry the team either.

. If you have a QB you can absorb losing star players to free agency, without a QB you can't... and thus, a low ranking is born.