Q&A: Confident EJ Manuel builds on adversity of 2014

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotta stop listening to Schopp on my way home from work. I'm on the EJ optimism train, and he just keeps trying to derail it. Saying that it's obvious Rex doesn't like EJ because of his comments yesterday and that they probably aren't really even considering him. That EJ would have to be loads better. I know Schopp is full of crap, and yet, I let a little doubt creep in.

Cassel would have to make EJ/Tyrod look like crap for Cassel to start, probably. So we'll likely see a young guy be our QB for the season, and hopefully get some good solid development under their feet. I'm optimistic :)

I'm happy that Manuel looked good. I'd also be happy if any of the others looked good. I'd be very happy if all of them looked good.

Making accurate throws in a non-pressure environment is a good start. Hopefully the accuracy and good decisions continue in preseason and when it counts.

Edited by CodeMonkey

If you didn't open the link, Kryk says this:

I don’t get to watch many Bills practices. But over the past three years I’ve seen him at rookie mini-camp, at OTAs, at three mandatory mini-camps, at two training camps and in games home and away. Manuel on Thursday looked as good as I’ve seen him.

He was confident, assertive in his decisions, stepped aggressively into his throws, and was accurate everywhere: short, deep, on the flanks and over the middle.

i don't think it's that hard. whenever Rex ends a sentence with "and things" he's shoveling bull ****. in this case he did it when talking about EJ "slow eyes" Manuel...so id don't think it's such a big leap that he's not sold on the guy yet. i hope he's wrong and EJs a stud, but we'll see. wake me up in August.

I think a hater is someone who seems like they are rooting for the guy to fail. It's ok to be skeptical. I'm just a patient person in general and can't stand people who want to be the first to year bust. It is a big transition from college to the NFL. Especially for a QB. Year 3 is the year where you can see if a player is trending. So this is a huge year for EJ and hopefully, the light is turning on for him.

I would agree that QB's should be showing something by year 3 and it is indeed a big transition from college to the pros. It's pretty much make or break for EJM in 2015 and IIRC, the GM has said as much.

If he does become the guy they envisioned when picked 2 years ago, well great. I'm interested in seeing how the QB trio fares in camp given the new coaching staff.

I would agree that QB's should be showing something by year 3 and it is indeed a big transition from college to the pros. It's pretty much make or break for EJM in 2015 and IIRC, the GM has said as much.

If he does become the guy they envisioned when picked 2 years ago, well great. I'm interested in seeing how the QB trio fares in camp given the new coaching staff.

100% reasonable post from you. I'm impressed! :nana:

If you want good information on collecting cards, food drafts, and tennis, Schoop is amazing. But for every other sport, he is a joke. He has to be the worst primetime sports host in a city that has a NFL team.

tweet from Schopp yesterday:

@Schopptalk: Q: Hey, wasn't EJ good today?

Rex: Yeah he has had some moments and things like that.

Rex Ryan is totally not going with EJ Manuel. #bills

If you didn't open the link, Kryk says this:

I don’t get to watch many Bills practices. But over the past three years I’ve seen him at rookie mini-camp, at OTAs, at three mandatory mini-camps, at two training camps and in games home and away. Manuel on Thursday looked as good as I’ve seen him.

He was confident, assertive in his decisions, stepped aggressively into his throws, and was accurate everywhere: short, deep, on the flanks and over the middle.

There was also this analysis from Chris Brown:

Manuel put together one of his better practices Thursday and has improved in a couple of specific areas with respect to his personal game. He’s much less hesitant in his decision making and his accuracy is more consistent. Perhaps the area of his game that has seen the greatest jump is his footwork in the pocket and leading up to the throw.

His drops are much tighter. When he slides in the pocket his steps are efficient and he keeps his feet underneath his frame. That has kept his upper body properly balanced to deliver the ball more accurately.
Manuel demonstrated good timing on a couple of crossing routes, but it’s his accuracy on touch throws has been noticeably better. Each of the three days of minicamp Manuel has dropped passes over cornerbacks into the arms of his receiving targets. Two went for touchdowns on Thursday, including a fourth down conversion to Marcus Easley that capped his two-minute drive.

There was also this analysis from Chris Brown:

ive got to wonder if having a little less heat from the d line in practice would help him actually progress. toss the big 4 a few more off days since rushing in shorts isnt doing much for them and let the kid get the routines down pat. ideally he wont face the JJ Watt slaughter that was last years houston game that often so maybe not have every practice be like that. Edited by NoSaint

That's more than he said about Taylor after Tuesday's practice. Sal even specifically asked what he thought of Taylor's day.... Didn't mention Taylor once.

I believe Rex said he looked good against a "watered down defense". Not quite the ringing endorsement from the HC.

piggy backing my previous post though -- is our front 4 rushing in shorts against guys not really blocking causing more pressure than is actually practical to expect week in and week out? (obviously no risk of injury but timing, disruptions)

and ther lies the problem those labeled detractor / hater are not willing to give EJ the time needed.

I've said this in other threads.. IMO if you think EJ, right now, is a failure then you can be labeled a detractor.

If that shoe fits then to me and others with the same impression ... wear it.

You're not a career-minded GM, HC, assistant, or a veteran player trying to win now though. This isn't just about EJ. It's about getting a team into the playoffs and QB play remains the big question mark.

If it makes people feel good to say the guy's working hard, so be it. But at this point I've heard a lot of that and there aren't results when the real snaps are taken.

And I really don't care if I'm labeled a "hater" because that's what those who can't debate will say in the face of skepticism about a player who hasn't been consistent.

I don't think you're a hater, I just think you're jumping the gun on believing you have any real idea of whether or not EJ can be a decent NFL starting QB based upon 14 games, considering the circumstances.

It also makes absolutely no sense not to be rooting for a guy who seems to be such a hard worker and who has earned praise from his teammates. I'm not suggesting you aren't rooting for him, but it seems many on here are almost hoping he fails so they can be proven right.

considering the other two looked bad against a watered down defense, I think that says more

Thought of that as well. Sometimes I try to ignore problems. That usually comes back to bite me in the a**. So I guess focus on the positive and think happy thoughts for the next 6 weeks.

What Schdope was missing, of course, was Rex was saying I am not going to get too high on one day of practice in shorts when a guy looks good, the same way I am not going to get down on a guy (like you imbeciles did) for one practice in shorts when he looks bad.

The next time Schopp has an informed Bills take will be the first.

Here is what I read into Rex's comments.

He is freaking giddy about this defense and he knows that his D is going to wreck teams this year.

He hasn't decided the QB yet. The process is going to play out at QB. Roman knows what he is doing and can adjust the offense to the strengths of the emerging QB. Whoever wins will be better than Mark Sanchez in 2009-10, and Rex took that QB to two AFC championships.

Edited by Flip Johnson