Eagles released Evan Mathis

and he didn't get it.

I don't know how losing a holdout by getting released outright, and not traded, improves your bargaining position with the other 31 teams. IF somebody thought he was worth the money he was being paid, they would have traded for him.

So, we have to start with less than he was going to make the next 2 years, don't we? I mean, who releases an All-Pro, #2 PFF guard, unless the guy swears he isn't gonna play a single down without more $? Is Kelly's need for control worth dumping a guy like Mathis? We don't know. Regardless, Mathis gambled, and lost.

The rest of the teams have their perspective as well.

Well, that he publicly spoke out against his coach this week is slightly different than just holding out.

Additionally that a team didn't want to give him the deal AND picks to the Eagles doesn't mean a team won't give a monster deal. See Byrd, j.

Otherwise, sure, that he and his agent think he's worth 6m per year totally isn't worth mentioning in reply to someone saying get him for less than 4m

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twitter rumor that Chip is just letting mathis test the FA market to see if he can get what he wants and could re-sign him.

Have to think Chip burned that bridge, when he wouldn't honor the last GM's offer. But then again, I suppose anything could happen.

I kind of wonder how much he will really get. If a team really was open to paying even what he is currently making, why wouldn't they even just trade a late round pick so as to not have to compete in FA? Chip had said he was available for trade for 2 years and they got no offers.

You are mixing up the numbers. The first one is dead money, the second is cap space saved. (Just look at the prorated signing bonus numbers.) Even if they'd designate him as a June 1st cut then they just push off some of the signing bonus hit until next season. June 1st designated cuts are still accounted for as if the player is not cut until that date. It just removes risks associated with the team being on the hook for salary if the player gets injured, paying for work out bonuses, etc. - and it gets the player on the market sooner.

Go to this page and choose the drop down box "Cut post June 1st" and tell me what it our cap savings is and what our dead money will be

http://overthecap.com/player/chris-williams/2179/

What I'm saying is correct

Your going off of Pre June 1st release

Edited by dezertbill

@LesBowen: Im told timing of release kinda took @EvanMathis69 by surprise. Chip told him release was to see if he could get what he wants (on mkt)

Personally, I do think this backfires on Chip. Mathis might want more money, but there is absolutely nothing that can force Mathis back if he doesn't want to play for the man.

Chip out to prove that he doesn't just release, waive and trade the best black players on his team....he releases, waives and trades the best white ones too!!

Is this dude high or something? Is he determined to "prove" the entire NFL wrong by going 8-8 with a team that looks like it might be 5-11? Maybe win coach of the year because of it?

I might not be the most brilliant football mind, but I do know that players like DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, LeSean McCoy, Evan Mathis, etc don't just grow on trees and you can't replace them with depth guys and think you are going to be OK...

I kind of wonder how much he will really get. If a team really was open to paying even what he is currently making, why wouldn't they even just trade a late round pick so as to not have to compete in FA? Chip had said he was available for trade for 2 years and they got no offers.

As opposed to Byrd?

Who knows what offers they've received or what contracts might be on the table once it does cost a pick.

Chip out to prove that he doesn't just release, waive and trade the best black players on his team....he releases, waives and trades the best white ones too!!

Is this dude high or something? Is he determined to "prove" the entire NFL wrong by going 8-8 with a team that looks like it might be 5-11? Maybe win coach of the year because of it?

I might not be the most brilliant football mind, but I do know that players like DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, LeSean McCoy, Evan Mathis, etc don't just grow on trees and you can't replace them with depth guys and think you are going to be OK...

Seems like he wants to prove that it's him and his system that produces his success, not the players. I mean, that's pretty much how I feel about the Patriots**. Maybe Chip wants to build that type of rep too.