QB Competition Not Yielding Promising Results Yet

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't panic just yet. Doug marrone is now coaching in Jacksonville so that means Manuel should be good this year. Plus he's only played 14 games so he's got that going for him. And also, Kyle Orton sucked last year too so EJ should be fine.

well with that logic Manuel would have sucked too. Since Maroon, and the OC are taking most of the blame. yet Orton sucked?

His name is Aaron Rodgers.

I don't think so. I know he's the consensus guy, but is Aaron Rogers really better than Brees, Brady, and Manning (assuming Manning's struggles last year were injury related)? Maybe, but not necessarily. LeBron has separation from the pack.

I'd go even further and say none. I don't think there's a QB right now who's nearly universally recognized as the greatest in the league by a good margin.

You have a point. At one point in time, it might have been Peyton - but he's aged and he never had the team around him. At another, it might have been Brady but....those asterisks.

Brees and Rodgers haven't had the consistent success, in part because their contracts make it hard to keep teams around them.

Anxiety about the QB situation is understandable since in all likelihood the only thing standing between the Bills and a long playoff run is a lousy QB. An average QB gets them to the playoffs. An above average QB gets them deep into the playoffs and quite likely the Super Bowl. A stellar QB gets them the title. A lousy QB and its a fight to be in the playoff picture and even if somehow the playoffs are made, it's a loss in the Wild Card game. I don't begrudge anyone being on pins and needles about the QB situation given the years and years since the Bills have made the playoffs.

I don't think so. I know he's the consensus guy, but is Aaron Rogers really better than Brees, Brady, and Manning (assuming Manning's struggles last year were injury related)? Maybe, but not necessarily. LeBron has separation from the pack.

I think he's clearly better than all of them in many aspects of QB play. Rodgers has everything you could possibly want in a QB IMO.

EJ makes one more completion on every 30 attempts and he goes from 58.6% to 61.8% , two more completions gets him to 65.2% - I think the work that EJ is doing, better OL, better running game, more experienced WRs , better offensive game plan, and better talent at TE gets EJ that 1-2 extra completions and a little better run after catch bumps up his YPAs.

It's the acceptance of such blanket statements as, "we have 3 QBs competing who aren't any good..." that leads to taking other statements like, "we don't have LeBron at quarterback..." out of context, and declaring that none of our QBs are "worth a damn." Cassel throws a few balls poorly in the second half of one practice in front of the press, and suddenly, "we have guys struggling to throw the ball in shorts..."

I understand the pessimism. Obviously. It's a way of life, here. But, overstating by oversimplifying doesn't do much to add to the conversation.

But, I do understand the pessimism.

...sigh... I do.

It goes beyond what the reports are saying so far. Cassel is just not any good. It's just the reality of the situation. Right now we're trying to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Unless one of these young guys seriously lights it up we'll end up drafting a replacement within a year.

There is this misleading tweet going around with the media interjecting their "educated" opinion on the matter. That doesn't help the panic though. I have had a number of people telling me we are doomed because of it.

https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/608702411859980288

I also hear WGR was tearing the QB situation a new one. I didn't hear it myself though.

OK, so Carucci watches one practice with a few misthrown balls on a day with 30 mph wind gusts and states "we don't have a #1...or a #2" and that translates to "Rex says all of our QB play like crap and none of them are worth a sh@!" in the minds of fans?

Some fans.

They are working all FOUR (4) QBs out in O.P. and the early word on the street seems to be none of them are worth a damned.

Comments? Questions? Concerns?

http://www.wgr550.com/Ryan-Safe-to-say-there-s-no-LeBron-at-QB/21621739

http://www.wgr550.com/Ryan-leaves-door-open-for-QB-race-to-go-til-week-o/21622571

yeah we know the emperor has no clothes

1. New playbook.

2. New offensive coordinator.

3. New head coach.

4. 10 practices.

5. 3 of the QBs have very limited NFL experience and the fourth is the definition of journeyman.

6. Facing one of the NFL's elite defenses.

7. Most difficult position in sports to master.

8. JUNE.

This isn't a surprise or worth getting too worked up over. Honestly, this is what we should be expecting to hear. Anything else would be lagniappe (it's a New Orleans word that means a little something extra). The QB play isn't going to great and we shouldn't be expecting it to be. This team is loaded though and pretty good QB play will translate to lots of wins. Hopefully we can get competent play this year, make the playoffs, upgrade next year and compete for a title.

You get mega respect for dropping a "lagniappe" on us! The old-world bake shops in still say it every time they drop a 13th beignet in the bag.

Edited by thebandit27