QB Competition Not Yielding Promising Results Yet

I will say this once again for the few people that still believe in EJ(Biscuit I am looking at you), Manuel was a total reach. For people that actually watch college football, he was not good in college. I know his record was good, I know he never lost in a bowl game. I don't care. The teams he played for a FSU were loaded & Fisher kept Manuel under wraps knowing that in most games the only way they were losing was if he allowed Manuel to lose the game for him. Watch their offense in EJ's last year at FSU & then compare to the offense Fisher was running the next year with Winston. it is like night & day. Winston has a chance to be a true franchise QB if he could keep his head on straight. Manuel will be out of the league in 3 years.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are working all FOUR (4) QBs out in O.P. and the early word on the street seems to be none of them are worth a damned.

Comments? Questions? Concerns?

http://www.wgr550.com/Ryan-Safe-to-say-there-s-no-LeBron-at-QB/21621739

http://www.wgr550.com/Ryan-leaves-door-open-for-QB-race-to-go-til-week-o/21622571

We talkin' bout practice man. Not the game, Not the game. What are we talkin about? Practice? I know, it's funny to me too. At least two of these guys have had some success in actual games. One of them will emerge and it will be fine.

I will say this once again for the few people that still believe in EJ(Biscuit I am looking at you), Manuel was a total reach. For people that actually watch college football, he was not good in college. I know his record was good, I know he never lost in a bowl game. I don't care. The teams he played for a FSU were loaded & Fisher kept Manuel under wraps knowing that in most games the only way they were losing was if he allowed Manuel to lose the game for him. Watch their offense in EJ's last year at FSU & then compare to the offense Fisher was running the next year with Winston. it is like night & day. Winston has a chance to be a true franchise QB if he could keep his head on straight. Manuel will be out of the league in 3 years.

Gordon, you're description of EJ Manuel is that of the ultimate "game manager". "The teams he played for at FSU were loaded". Check. "His record was good and he never lost a bowl game". Check. "The only way they were losing was if he allowed Manuel to lose the game for him". I believe Rex and Co. want their QB to not commit turnovers while running their offense. Check. EJ Manuel was, coming out of college, a "piece of clay that needed to be molded". Greg "Picasso" Roman took two pieces of clay (Kaepernick/Smith) and molded them into "franchise" QBs. I'd expect him to do the same with a piece of clay from FSU that had a better college career than the aforementioned.

Gordon, you're description of EJ Manuel is that of the ultimate "game manager". "The teams he played for at FSU were loaded". Check. "His record was good and he never lost a bowl game". Check. "The only way they were losing was if he allowed Manuel to lose the game for him". I believe Rex and Co. want their QB to not commit turnovers while running their offense. Check. EJ Manuel was, coming out of college, a "piece of clay that needed to be molded". Greg "Picasso" Roman took two pieces of clay (Kaepernick/Smith) and molded them into "franchise" QBs. I'd expect him to do the same with a piece of clay from FSU that had a better college career than the aforementioned.

You make a lot of sense & I do hope your right. I would hate to see the talent on this team wasted because the QB position is costing us games.

You get mega respect for dropping a "lagniappe" on us! The old-world bake shops in still say it every time they drop a 13th beignet in the bag.

Ha ha, it really is the only word that I can think that applies to the QB situation.

If the QB play is decent it will be like finding a $20 in your pocket.

This is ridiculous. The way you describe Manuel it's as if he's this feeble QB who has no business even being in the NFL. It seems obvious that you are nothing but a true hater because your comment is over the top. Manuel has had some good quality wins and even a quality loss when he had the Falcons on the ropes were it not for Chandler and Johnson's fumbles that lost the game with the season on the line. A feeble QB could not perform like he did in those wins and that loss. No one here is saying they think he will become this great superstar QB, the simple fact is that you don't need a superstar in a league where Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson won two out of the last three Superbowls. Are they superstar QBs? No. I think you're being unrealistic and searching for this ideal Bills QB who throws for 3 TDs and 300 yards on a consistent basis. I hate to tell you but you won't ever find him unless you are somehow extremely lucky. Eventually your frustration for Manuel would just move over to your frustration for the 2016 1st round QB pick who in all likelihood won't live up to those standards.

This should be an interesting year because IMO Manuel has the ability and drive to embarrass you and many of the people who have totally written him off this year.

Edited by 1billsfan

.... the simple fact is that you don't need a superstar in a league where Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson won two out of the last three Superbowls. Are they superstar QBs? No.

While there have been some cases of middling QBs taking their teams deep in the playoffs, those cases are rare and nearly always those QBs caught lightning in a bottle for a single year. The mere fact that Wilson & Flacco have several years of stellar playoff performances, surrounded by average skill players proves your point wrong. Are they superstars? Maybe not. But they certainly are high level stars

I will bet you 100 "jelly beans" on this. Just PM me and we can keep it between us.

So of you (Gordio I am looking at you) love to overrstate things. You to overstate how bad Manuel is. Same rookie year as Tannehill, same stats through 4 games as him. He left the field 3 times his rookie year with a lead (NE, ATL, Cle), only to have our defense blow it.

I have never once predicted Manuel would be great. But this constant knee jerk reaction to every practice a QB has is so stupid. Andrew Luck had Bruce Arians as an OC as a rookie. Bridgewater had Norv Turner. Manuel had Nate Hackett.

I can't wait for the season to start and hopefully Manuel can shut some of you up.

While there have been some cases of middling QBs taking their teams deep in the playoffs, those cases are rare and nearly always those QBs caught lightning in a bottle for a single year. The mere fact that Wilson & Flacco have several years of stellar playoff performances, surrounded by average skill players proves your point wrong. Are they superstars? Maybe not. But they certainly are high level stars

Wilson also could win a game against Drew Brees with less than 100 yards passing and a game against Rodgers with 4 ints. I think Wilson is good but he plays in a situation where he is backed by the best defense in the NFL and a top 3 running back. He is not close to a high level star in Jacksonville.

For most QBs, the situation and players around them really matters.

I'm not sure what we are expecting. How many GREAT QB's do well against our defense? Aaron Rodgers had his worst game of his career against us. Peyton Manning had his worst game in 7 or 8 years against us and one of the 3 worst games in his career.

Why is it any surprise our QB's would not do well against our defense? How often are they going to face a defense as good or better than ours during the season? Not very often.

Edited by matter2003

Wilson also could win a game against Drew Brees with less than 100 yards passing and a game against Rodgers with 4 ints. I think Wilson is good but he plays in a situation where he is backed by the best defense in the NFL and a top 3 running back. He is not close to a high level star in Jacksonville.

For most QBs, the situation and players around them really matters.

I won't disagree that Wilson benefits from a great defense. But he also doesn't get the full credit because the offensive design doesn't feature a big passing game. Bottom line to me is that when he needs to, he can make any NFL throw and has shown it on the field. Said another way, if you switch Wilson & Bortles, Wilson will produce more net wins.

I won't disagree that Wilson benefits from a great defense. But he also doesn't get the full credit because the offensive design doesn't feature a big passing game. Bottom line to me is that when he needs to, he can make any NFL throw and has shown it on the field. Said another way, if you switch Wilson & Bortles, Wilson will produce more net wins.

Agreed. I also underestimate coaching at times and I definitely underestimated Pete Carroll. They are a well coached team.

Also, it's worth noting, Flacco had a very similar rookie year to Manuel. Except Flacco's team was good to make the playoffs and we went 6-10.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

BillsFan-4-Ever, on 11 Jun 2015 - 5:56 PM, said:

repetition repetition repetition

this rotating scheme may not be the best way to do it. or at least do 1 full day with the #1's, the next with the #2's etc etc

this constant rotation might be making it hard for the receivers to get in synch with the QB

just a thought

That is why they plan on doing it for a while........

Im fine with the way they are handling it

I'm no expert. as I said it was just a thought

I would expect the rotations to slow once practices start