Possible trouble for Brandon Spikes; released by Pats

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season Spikes made $3m + with Bills . Settled for $1m + with NE**

Wonder if he turned down offer from Bills this year

I think it was made pretty clear, the Bills were interested in Spikes returning---at the right price. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least let him (or his agent) know what they considered "the right price".

I think it was made pretty clear, the Bills were interested in Spikes returning---at the right price. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least let him (or his agent) know what they considered "the right price".

i think it had to do with playing time as well. The Bills were upfront that he wouldn't be playing much, and I doubt he wants this to be his last contract at age 27. I'm sure he hoped to play more in NE with their scheme and injury situation and put himself in a position to earn another contract somewhere next year.

i think it had to do with playing time as well. The Bills were upfront that he wouldn't be playing much, and I doubt he wants this to be his last contract at age 27. I'm sure he hoped to play more in NE with their scheme and injury situation and put himself in a position to earn another contract somewhere next year.

That seems to be the case, though I find it hard to believe Belicheat could guarantee Spikes would be a 3-down LB. Then again, I wouldn't put it past that POS to simply lie about it.

That seems to be the case, though I find it hard to believe Belicheat could guarantee Spikes would be a 3-down LB. Then again, I wouldn't put it past that POS to simply lie about it.

Given the contract Spikes got with the Pats*, I would guess the Bills offered him close to vet minimum. Which would make sense considering his limited usefulness to us and the emergence of Preston Brown. Sometimes I have a tough time believing he is only 27. Dude is considered a good run stopper but his weaknesses in other areas (Coverage, maturity) really have limited his earning abilities.

i don't think starting 3 down LB was ever in the cards for him anywhere. But with our scheme that plays 2 ILBs with entrenched starters Brown and Bradham, with Powell as backup MLB who they believe is more athletic than Spikes, not sure how much he would ever even see the field in Buffalo. He could probably expect more snaps in NE. Well, past tense now.