Report- Bills hoping to extend Dareus before Training Camp

I've seen enough from Glenn to think he can be a very very good LT, and at least solid if he doesn't continue to improve. I think it's a great time to negotiate an extension with him after his poor year last year (which I honestly don't think was caused entirely by him).

The concept of signing a player to a long term deal is not just to get a team friendly deal, but to secure a top talent. To sign him now I think would be a mistake. Although I have faith in him to return to form, it's risky now. And I doubt he would sign a lesser deal now, knowing that a big season would mean huge dollars for him next year.

I get that. For me he has passed the threshold for trying to extend him. I think it would be a mistake to sign him long-term deal for top dollar. My point is I think he might well end up being worth it, but hasn't really been able to prove it yet. When he does prove it, our choices will be to pay for that, or lose him. It all comes down to the specifics to assess if it is a good value/risk. I think we should try for a mid-level starter extension now and set the team up to have a favorable value. Yes, there is risk, but I'm convinced he has a good "floor" and you can't really plan around the possibility of injury.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that. For me he has passed the threshold for trying to extend him. I think it would be a mistake to sign him long-term deal for top dollar. My point is I think he might well end up being worth it, but hasn't really been able to prove it yet. When he does prove it, our choices will be to pay for that, or lose him. It all comes down to the specifics to assess if it is a good value/risk. I think we should try for a mid-level starter extension now and set the team up to have a favorable value. Yes, there is risk, but I'm convinced he has a good "floor" and you can't really plan around the possibility of injury.

I agree with you, Matt in KC.

Cordy Glenn has proven enough to me that we should keep him. He's definitely earned a good-to-great contract.

Yes, last year was probably the worst year he's had with us. Although the fact that he had a case of Marrone's Disease and that he was playing a good amount of the season next to Cyril Richardson, which meant that he was playing both LT & LG, gives him a pretty good reason for having such a rough year.

so they are criticizing their owner? Let's look at the last 50 years of comments about Ralph until he croaked. Nothing very positive about him until the end.

I'm done with the Patriots (and NFL) when Belichick leaves.

Cutting up all my Pat's gear and dumping it on the turf outside the pro shop.

Go f*ck yourself, Bob. I regret investing my life in your team. I hope Tom leaves and you are in the league cellar for the next 30 years, you coward.

I'm done with the New England Patriots.

I want Brady to demand a trade. I will go with him, as I doubt I can remain a fan of this joke of a franchise.

I'm done with the Patriots (and NFL) when Belichick leaves.[/size]

Cutting up all my Pat's gear and dumping it on the turf outside the pro shop.[/size]

Go f*ck yourself, Bob. I regret investing my life in your team. I hope Tom leaves and you are in the league cellar for the next 30 years, you coward.

I'm done with the New England Patriots.

I want Brady to demand a trade. I will go with him, as I doubt I can remain a fan of this joke of a franchise.[/size]

Classy fans. The owner & coach hung their QB out to dry for the good of the franchise, especially Bill saying "Ask Tom" during the press conferences.

Id imagine it would be much easier to lock him up now than after this seasons is over (assuming he does well again).

I thought it was just a one game suspension ?

He's purposely trying to lose and just singing players like McCoy, Hughes and Clay so we keep buying tickets.

Damn that Brandon!

I've lived on and off in Boston for 30 years now, and I can tell you that Pats "fans" are THE most fake in all of professional football, and it's not even close.

Most Pats fan can't even name the team's starting offensive line -- while your average grandmother in Buffalo can not only name the Bills practice squad pick-up last week, they also know his body-fat index and 40-time at the combo 3 years ago ...

Welcome to the Forum Brother !

Good to have you in the fold.

stranded maybe, but not lost to us : )

I am one who wants Glenn long term. I also think " now" is the time to get er dun. at least attempt it.

Cordy has very quietly done as fine job averaging over his career. i will consider last year an anomaly for both Wood and Glenn for whatever reason.

Be delighted to see Hendy come along and get some decent bookends for the long term.

Not sure it matters...the market has basically been set by Suh and McCoy. Dareus will most likely get the exact same deal as Suh.

Competition never makes matters easier. There's always a team willing to go overboard for a player and change the market.

I suppose you will be right in this case, as Suh just reset the market this year and I doubt it will change much.

Competition never makes matters easier. There's always a team willing to go overboard for a player and change the market.

I suppose you will be right in this case, as Suh just reset the market this year and I doubt it will change much.

That's pretty much true.

We have to keep Dareus, and we'll have to pay an obscene amount to keep him.

That was quite a generalization of a large group of people. Don't suppose you can qualify those statements. Patriots have been around as long as the Bills and obviously have a better track record then we do. You don't have to like them, but to make up crap like this makes you look pretty stupid. IMO

Hey klos, take it easy man; we're just having a little fun with another fan base. :nana:

However, there is a little method to our madness. I moved to Boston from Buffalo in 1985, so I know the area pretty well. The Boston area is full of transplants, many of whom "adopt" the Patriots as their team. For example, every fall I see my transplant students coming to class wearing Pats jerseys, hats, etc. more and more as the semester wears on. There's nothing wrong with that -- but it also doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with them and make a good-natured crack about the Pats now and then. On the other hand, for twenty years I've started the semester by asking "anybody from Buffalo?", and one or two gals or guys will raise their hand -- and then invariably signal me a subtle fist pump or something. And for sure, after class they will come up and we'll talk about home ... and the Bills. And for the rest of the fall, every morning after a Bills game, we'll either be high-fiving -- or dragging ourselves around.

Let's face it -- Buffalo has not attracted a lot of transplants recently (although I'm happy to hear that's changing a bit), and we've had less to cheer about back home for the last century or so. But we nonetheless have an intangible cord that binds us together; we are, as the Italians say, "compaesani", literally "inhabitants of the same country", but expressing a more profound connection between people who, perhaps hardened by tough luck and tough weather, deeply miss a place and a different time. Maybe it's just a giant chip on our collective Buffalonian shoulder, but it's OUR chip.

Maybe Bostonians find us pathetic; I don't know -- and I really don't care. But I do know that when I'm at The Harp bar in Boston for the Bills game, with 200 fellow WNYers screaming our lungs out (including the time I brought my twin 5-year old boys in their little Bills jerseys, and the whole place was clapping me on the back and telling me, "You're raising 'em right buddy!"), we do get some very bewildered stares from the tiny contingent of Pats fans sipping their foofy craft beers at the bar.

It's different. It's just different ...

Edited by Stranded in Boston

Hey klos, take it easy man; we're just having a little fun with another fan base. :nana:

However, there is a little method to our madness. I moved to Boston from Buffalo in 1985, so I know the area pretty well. The Boston area is full of transplants, many of whom "adopt" the Patriots as their team. For example, every fall I see my transplant students coming to class wearing Pats jerseys, hats, etc. more and more as the semester wears on. There's nothing wrong with that -- but it also doesn't mean I can't have a little fun with them and make a good-natured crack about the Pats now and then. On the other hand, for twenty years I've started the semester by asking "anybody from Buffalo?", and one or two gals or guys will raise their hand -- and then invariably signal me a subtle fist pump or something. And for sure, after class they will come up and we'll talk about home ... and the Bills. And for the rest of the fall, every morning after a Bills game, we'll either be high-fiving -- or dragging ourselves around.

Let's face it -- Buffalo has not attracted a lot of transplants recently (although I'm happy to hear that's changing a bit), and we've had less to cheer about back home for the last century or so. But we nonetheless have an intangible cord that binds us together; we are, as the Italians say, "compaesani", literally "inhabitants of the same country", but expressing a more profound connection between people who, perhaps hardened by tough luck and tough weather, deeply miss a place and a different time. Maybe it's just a giant chip on our collective Buffalonian shoulder, but it's OUR chip.

Maybe Bostonians find us pathetic; I don't know -- and I really don't care. But I do know that when I'm at The Harp bar in Boston for the Bills game, with 200 fellow WNYers screaming our lungs out (including the time I brought my twin 5-year old boys in their little Bills jerseys, and the whole place was clapping me on the back and telling me, "You're raising 'em right buddy!"), we do get some very bewildered stares from the tiny contingent of Pats fans sipping their foofy craft beers at the bar.

well said!!

You are the man!

-From one twin dad to another

I don't know about all that HOF talk, or the 5 years of Rex stuff ... but I do agree that he's got a bright career ahead of him and it would behoove the Bills to lock his ass up.

Nice use of the word behoove

Most Pats fans are GIANTS fans that ducked and ran when the going got tough.....

We'll see their true colors return when Brady retires...

I agree mostly. I say they will be hone about 3 years after Brady and BB both retire.

He hasn't proved it? Are you kidding? DT hardly ever get 10 sacks and he did it back to back years, completely plugged up the run once we went to a wide 9, and has been very durable since the start. your thinking like the losing Bills from our past. We would develop players and then other teams get the benefit of their skills in their second contract in their prime. Jason Peters, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, and the list goes on.

The most important thing we can do is retain our players who are our top talent, like the Packers. They just resigned Bulaga, and one other starter this off season. The solution is to redo Mario's deal as new money is coming. The cap goes up due to new TV money quite a bit over the next two years, we have a cheap QB option now, if we draft a solid QB next year, we have three to four years of cheap talent. Also, an open bid next year extending TR nights form 8 to 15 so more than double what they bring in now. Over 50% of this new revenue goes to the players per the CBA.

We have a chance to keep our studs and have the #1 defense in the NFL. I love Russell Wilson, but face it, they went to the SB back to back and really should have won the second one on a #1 defense, a solid line, and a great running game. I'll take our WR and TE's over theirs. Shady, and company should be able to match Lynch's production if we have enough as an offensive line. I believe Rex can get us to the #1 defense, and that alone will get us to 10 wins. We just need a top 5 running game, and top 16 passing game. i believe we can do that with a Roman led offense and our talent.

So yes, extend Marcel with a lot guaranteed, but not as high as Watt, or McCoy.

I am one who wants Glenn long term. I also think " now" is the time to get er dun. at least attempt it.

Cordy has very quietly done as fine job averaging over his career. i will consider last year an anomaly for both Wood and Glenn for whatever reason.

Be delighted to see Hendy come along and get some decent bookends for the long term.

I couldn't agree more. There is more to the story with the possible kidney infection with Glenn that kept him out of training camp. The year before and his rookie year he played more like an elite LT. If your going to extend Glenn though, we need to look at extending Gillmore. We can't let these guys go. The earlier you do it the better, All of them have proven to be durable players. They get much larger money and guaranteed. If we keep these guys, I think we as an organization have finally turned the corner. That's what winning teams do. we also let them go a year earlier as they are in their 30's but we don't have that issue yet. For example in a couple of years it will be time to let Kyle Williams go. I can see the four years and then move on.

Go Bills!

so they are criticizing their owner? Let's look at the last 50 years of comments about Ralph until he croaked. Nothing very positive about him until the end.

First off, your comments are not true. While there may have been some frustrated fans, many still stuck up and supported Ralph. If you are a true fan of the Bills you should have better respect for the founder of the Bills in regards to his passing.

I dont know you and I dont like you already......how dare you talk about Ralph WIlson like that

I agree John, no class.

If Dareus thinks he can get top dollar after this season, then he will probably avoid signing soon. If he wants an insurance policy in case he isn't as good or gets injured during this season, then he may be willing to sign for a slightly lesser amount now. My bet is that he will wait until after the season and expect the HUGE payday.