Offensive Line

I am all for it. I'd like to add a swing tackle. I am a little scared by CK.

My biggest fear currently is an injury to Glenn. You would kick Henderson over to the left and Kouandjio to the right I'd presume. I just don't have a ton of confidence in him based on what I saw last year. Collins would give me the Urbik level of stability at least.

Kromer has done some really good work with some guys that are raw. You are certainly right there. The guys that he developed in NOLA were all projects. They actually are a lot like the guys that we have, big, athletic and raw.

Yeah that's basically how I feel as well.

I'm trying to think of the "project" guys in New Orleans: Evans, Nicks, Strief, Bushrod...right? Anyone I'm missing?

Ooh: de la Puente

Edited by thebandit27

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to think of the "project" guys in New Orleans: Evans, Nicks, Strief, Bushrod...right? Anyone I'm missing?

That was basically their starting line. Those guys weren't blue chip prospects. Terron Armstead I think was the year after Kromer but he falls into the same boat as a player. The guys that Kromer has developed are more about skill set than pedigree. The guys that the Bills have are a little bit of both.

That was basically their starting line. Those guys weren't blue chip prospects. Terron Armstead I think was the year after Kromer but he falls into the same boat as a player. The guys that Kromer has developed are more about skill set than pedigree. The guys that the Bills have are a little bit of both.

IIRC the Bears line was much improved during Kromer's tenure there as well

Wow...I totally didn't realize as I typed that that it was their entire starting line. That's pretty impressive.

Here's hoping he can do work with Henderson and Richardson; they're the guys for whom I have the most hope. I've never been a Kouandjio guy.

IIRC the Bears line was much improved during Kromer's tenure there as well

Indeed. Bushrod and de la Puente followed him over from NO, and Kyle Long stepped into the RG role and handled himself extremely well. He even made a mostly-passable chicken salad with Jordan Mills at RT.

I have learned a couple of things from this thread:

(1) I need to get on watching the Wire. Watched the first few episodes then was distracted by other things (kids, draft,wife, etc).

(2) Our OL coach has worked with less talent and achieved results. They say you can't coach talent. Our guys have the physical talent, hopefully he can teach them how to use it. Perhaps this is the year the Bills get lucky and Henderson makes the pro-bowl, Cassel or EJ deflates Brady, and I'll see y'all in San Fran for the Super Bowl.

(3). I drank a lot of kool-aid based on my #2.

We do have an excess of backs. Also, I can see Tyson-Gully doing a good job in rookie camp, which perhaps makes moving him or another RB and option. I think the backfield tandem ends up being McCoy and Williams, making Dixon or Brown trade bait.

@ChrisBrownBills: Seantrel lining up at left and right tackle http://t.co/JGIjMyHRMs

:thumbsup:

I expect to see all sorts of combinations and players lining up all over the line throughout TC. Of course, this means I also expect to see fans freaking out that "X Player" worked with the 1st team so that must mean they are favored to start and the player he replaced is in the doghouse, even though it's nothing more than the coaches doing a little experimenting.

Evans - 4th, Nicks - 5th, Strief - 7th, Bushrod - 4th...that is where they were drafted. (Armstead was a 3rd round pick, De La Puente was undrafted.)

He should definitely be able to help out such talented players like Kouandjio, Henderson and Richardson...and that gives me a lot of hope, after seeing this.

I do think O-line probably more than any other part of a football team is about how they mesh together as much as the individual talent and that comes down to coaching. That is why you frequently see cases like, for example as he has been mentioned here... Anthony Collins... who look very solid in one line then go elsewhere and really struggle to live up to their reputation. Glenn was still solid last year (though not verging on elite in the way he was in 2013) but particularly after week 2 when Chris Williams went down (I know he is a TSW hate figure but he was the best guard to pull on a Bills jersey last year) the middle of the line became a tire fire and Henderson was very up and down as you would expect from a 7th round rookie at RT.

What is the talent level and what are the chances of Kromer coaching it up to perform at a much higher level? Remains to be seen. I suspect that with Incognito we will see some upgrade at guard based purely on talent and then it is can he get more out of Wood (hopeless last year), Henderson (remains very raw) and whoever starts at RG.

I don't think they're going to be as bad as they've being made out to be. Granted, they're not All Pro, which I would like, but there are some factors for me.

-Scheme matters. Wood and Glenn, two established solid veterans, regressed. Kromer's system looks like a much better fit.

-Coaching. Last year's three OL picks were highly touted. Cyrus was considered a steal in the 2nd, and Cyril a promising project. Henderson was always seen as an immense physical talent who couldn't get his head on straight, but who did. None of these guys saw their performance develop. One is normal, two is a fluke, three is likely bad coaching.

-New additions. Incognito, while not a nice person, was a pro bowl player his last full year, and graded out better than that the year of the scandal. Miller looks to be plug and play.

-play design. Have you seen some of the things Roman has cooked up? Putting 8 lineman on the field in an unbalanced line is something Hackett wouldn't have dreamt of, never mind tried.

Edited by Whitewalker Merriman