Deflate-gate investigation complete

I don't normally post the same thing in multiple threads, but just for you:

Florio is pandering, and it's sad.

Sometimes he comes off like a logical person, and then it almost seems like--just for fun--he does a total 180 so that he can be right either way.

As soon as someone explains the following, I'll re-think my position:

A guy that calls himself "The Deflator" takes footballs that he's not supposed to have, to a place they aren't supposed to go, where cameras cannot see him, for a long-enough period of time to tamper with each of them, and claims he did so because he had to use a bathroom stall/urinal that doesn't exist.

Then, when tested at halftime, those same footballs show a drop in pressure from the mandated pre-game limits that exceeds the drop in pressure of the Colts' footballs by a statistically significant margin, regardless of which pressure readings are used.

Next, we're privy to a series of messages from the team's ball handlers that very clearly show that they're acting upon instructions from the team's QB, who subsequently refused to provide correspondence relating to the investigation, despite being given the opportunity for he and his lawyers to pick through the correspondence on his phone before submitting.

The above, when considered within the context of the entire series of events, makes it "more probable than not" that (a) they tampered with the ball, and (b) Brady knew about it.

If we're treating this like law, then that's my closing argument. I welcome anyone that disagrees to make theirs.

Where did I claim that they didn't do it? I just don't think it's a big deal. I think a few games suspension, fines..that's alright.

I think "Stripped of titles", "Coach and QB suspended for a year" and all that jazz is WAY over the top.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I claim that they didn't do it? I just don't think it's a big deal. I think a few games suspension, fines..that's alright.

I think "Stripped of titles", "Coach and QB suspended for a year" and all that jazz is WAY over the top.

I didn't say that any of those punishments were appropriate.

I did say, however, that the lying about it and refusal to cooperate with the investigation are worse offenses than the initial deflating, and that I think suspension(s) are in order for that. I think it should (and will) be 4 games for Brady.

Your evolution on this topic is staggering. You've gone from everyone is whining about nothing to now accepting at least a suspension and fines is appropriate but they still didn't do anything wrong. :lol:

I am now going to talk purely from a engineering standpoint.

- The pressure in a ball will drop when the temperature drops and unless you are dealing with non-ideal fluids, the change should follow the ideal gas law. Pressure and temperature are directly related i.e. temperature drops, pressure drops. You have to be careful in the units of measure during this conversion. Temperature needs to be converted to Kelvin and pressure in atmospheres etc. Not very important unless someone asks me to convert and double check these calcs

- The crookedness of the needle in the gauge is mentioned several times in this article as if that by itself is a significant variable. Note that we are measuring pressure and not flow rate. If you are measuring flow rate, all other things being equal, the crookedness of a pipe will add pressure drop and lead one to an incorrect measurement. However, we are measuring pressure here and if you allow even a second between needle insertion and taking measurement (allowing for the needle to stabilize and not vibrate), the crookedness should be immaterial

- The quoted potential error between the gauges "measures the air pressure at 0.3 to 0.45 PSI lower" sounds weird to me. For a 12 psi measurement, this is a 2.5 - 3.75% error which is way too large, IMO. If the gauges can be off by this amount, then the entire premise of the investigation is not only ridiculous but points to a far larger problem in the NFL. If this is the case, then the NFL should be taken to task for quality control issues. In fact, I would say this should become a separate investigation by itself

Feel free to chime in guys. Florio is either intentionally causing confusion or inadvertently pointing to issues he does not fully understand.

Read the report. The outside consulting firm of numerous science experts in the specific field, as well as a renown Columbia professor hired to investigate these very things spend dozens and dozens of pages explaining these things in EXHAUSTIVE detail, and doing experiments and models and came to the conclusion independently that humans fukked with the balls.

Conspiracy theory:

video-undefined-24F56F1700000578-839_636

#flexball

They are admitting it to everyone publicly and no one has made the connect yet???

a few people, myself included mentioned that coincidental sponsorship right after the interview. I think it's in the really long deflategate thread

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

a few people, myself included mentioned that coincidental sponsorship right after the interview. I think it's it the really long deflategate thread

Yea I didn't make it through that one all the way. Oh well.

Excellent article and Goodell hits the proverbial nail on the head. It doesn't matter whether it gave the Patriots a competitive advantage or not. The NFL has rules and those rules were broken. I would not be terribly shocked if hoodie is gone for 8 games in additional to Brady being gone for 2 or possibly 4.

Excellent article and Goodell hits the proverbial nail on the head. It doesn't matter whether it gave the Patriots a competitive advantage or not. The NFL has rules and those rules were broken. I would not be terribly shocked if hoodie is gone for 8 games in additional to Brady being gone for 2 or possibly 4.

Yup. If Payton can get suspended because he should have known what was going on in his lockerroom, Belicheat should be as well.