If La'el Collins drops do Bills take him?

ALLEN1QB

After the UDFA signings I think we'd have to cut someone first. Maybe Chris Williams for some added cap room as well?

I think odds are very low he'd come here. Weighted equally its 1/32nd. Beyond that bills may have reached their capacity on signing a player with baggage (deserved or not), post cognito and harvin.

IMO we're one the teams he's most likely not to end up with including new england (Hernandez) and ravens (rice).

Wild speculation but maybe his agent tries to land him in a large market or high profile team to have a chance to make up some lost earnings with endorsements. Seattle is trying to beef up oline so are giants. Dallas always has an appetite for baggaged players at a discount. Packers, bears or saints some others.

Edited by JTSP

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we look beyond the obvious that no employer is going to be interested in someone who facing potential murder charges...

Why would they make an exception for this player that will undoubtedly then be used by every player following him? How many risks do you take with your job that could get you fired? If he ended up charged and convicted, the outcry would be insane.

I would have liked the Bills to take the risk, but you can't blame any of the Teams or the NFL for taking a pass.

If hes facing potential murder charges then I suppose I'm also facing potential murder charges seeing as I'm not a suspect and haven't been charged with any crimes.

I read that the league rules for UDFA limits a teams 'bonus' money to 81k per UDFA class.

I believe the contract for a UDFA is for the league minimum, teams are not allowed to pay him more or less. (which would put all teams on an equal playing field I believe).

So, how much of the 81k have the Bills spent? How much have other teams spent? That is the only leverage they may have over other teams.

Hopefully the Bills didnt spend any of that money and can offer this kid all 81 grand to join our squad.

i know they gave the OT from nc state 7500

If hes facing potential murder charges then I suppose I'm also facing potential murder charges seeing as I'm not a suspect and haven't been charged with any crimes.

Good luck with that. When is your interview with police? How long were you dating the murder victim?

Good luck with that. When is your interview with police? How long were you dating the murder victim?

No interviews yet and I have no association with the murder victim, but based on the criteria described in this thread I'm facing potential murder charges in this and every other open investigation.

He looks great in the drills. Very dynamic, quick and agile. Comes across well in interview. This guy is innocent IMO. What a travesty they put him thru this. A few years ago I'm guessing same circumstances cost him a round at most.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000472703/article/lael-collins-maxx-williams-among-early-stars-of-nfl-combine

Edited by JTSP

He looks great in the drills. Very dynamic, quick and agile. Comes across well in interview. This guy is innocent IMO. What a travesty they put him thru this. A few years ago I'm guessing same circumstances cost him a round at most.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000472703/article/lael-collins-maxx-williams-among-early-stars-of-nfl-combine

What did they "put" him through, exactly? Was the BRPD supposed to construct an investigation time line to accommodate the NFL draft? NFL teams were just supposed to ignore that he's a person of interest in an ongoing investigation?

I agree that the timing of events couldn't have been worse for the kid, but c'mon, sometimes events conspire to interrupt things. This isn't the end of the world for him, after all. He still stands to make a great living. There are no bad guys in this scenario. Just people doing their jobs.

GO BILLS!!!

So in other words you lied when you stated as a matter of fact it was his child. Ok thanks playing, credibility lost. (Not that you had any to begin with)

Lied? Come on. Anyway, how about "alleged". That better for you.

It doesn't erase your poorly thought out blameshifting to Goodell, or your misplaced sympathy for this future millionaire who gambled on a strategy that backfired terribly on him and his equally dumb agent.

What did they "put" him through, exactly? Was the BRPD supposed to construct an investigation time line to accommodate the NFL draft? NFL teams were just supposed to ignore that he's a person of interest in an ongoing investigation?

I agree that the timing of events couldn't have been worse for the kid, but c'mon, sometimes events conspire to interrupt things. This isn't the end of the world for him, after all. He still stands to make a great living. There are no bad guys in this scenario. Just people doing their jobs.

GO BILLS!!!

Goodell's job is to show some judgement and leadership. Do the right thing for 20 year old kids. What exactly does that guy do for his $40 million year anyway? He holds himself accountable for nothing . What a tool Edited by JTSP

Per SIRIUS NFL Radio, he cooperated fully with law enforcement and is NOT a suspect.

Let the bidding begin!

Per all the pre-draft news, he was cooperating fully and was not a suspect. The police have been very consistent in saying he's not a suspect.

Goodell's job is to show some judgement and leadership. Do the right thing for 20 year old kids. What exactly does that guy do for his $40 million year anyway? He holds himself accountable for nothing . What a tool

He works for the owners. Period. Your pollyanna understanding of his duties notwithstanding. Are the owners upset enough about his handling of the situation to have Goodell intervene? Apparently not. Perhaps that will change when there's more to go by. In the meantime, like I said, so far everyone is doing their jobs relative to Mr. Collins.

GO BILLS!!!

If shakes out he truly is not implicated, I disagree with the large market angle for endorsements. No one is going to endorse him until things go away. Where better to go than a highly competitve team who needs more starting talent, in a small market area where it goes away, and he gets to rebrand himself.

The Bills, Packers, and other small market teams are a perfect place for him especially since the Pegulas are showing they will spend to the cap to get the right talent.

I wouldn't go out on too much of a limb, but if he really is out of this mess, then take him and let him lose the notoriety in Orchard Park. We could get a very reasonably priced tackle, and redo his deal in two years making him happy.

He works for the owners. Period. Your pollyanna understanding of his duties notwithstanding. Are the owners upset enough about his handling of the situation to have Goodell intervene? Apparently not. Perhaps that will change when there's more to go by. In the meantime, like I said, so far everyone is doing their jobs relative to Mr. Collins.

GO BILLS!!!

Yup. Goodell is like Jerry Sullivan to people on this board. People think he sucks and rarely if ever does anything right. But in reality, he does his job great and his bosses, the only people who really count, love him and think he's fantastic at his job. And I don't really like either of them, I just can see they do their jobs great.

For what they are asked to do at least.

If shakes out he truly is not implicated, I disagree with the large market angle for endorsements. No one is going to endorse him until things go away. Where better to go than a highly competitve team who needs more starting talent, in a small market area where it goes away, and he gets to rebrand himself.

The Bills, Packers, and other small market teams are a perfect place for him especially since the Pegulas are showing they will spend to the cap to get the right talent.

I wouldn't go out on too much of a limb, but if he really is out of this mess, then take him and let him lose the notoriety in Orchard Park. We could get a very reasonably priced tackle, and redo his deal in two years making him happy.

Offensive linemen usually aren't getting the Nike and sports drink deals.

If he isn't implicated what rebranding does he have to do? What notoriety does he have?

Offensive linemen usually aren't getting the Nike and sports drink deals.

If he isn't implicated what rebranding does he have to do? What notoriety does he have?

They also do local things. I met some bills at a mall opening, none of them were stars.

Rumor on chargers Twitter is depth chart will make a difference in where he signs. Should be easy sell for Whaley lol

It would go without saying, one would think. He's just like any other free agent accept extremely limited pay - so obviously he's want the best shot to succeed. Unfortunately, it may also include wanting to be next to great players

Per all the pre-draft news, he was cooperating fully and was not a suspect. The police have been very consistent in saying he's not a suspect.

Yeah, but.. He left Chicago to speak with them as requested, ruining his draft status. That meeting happened today and -per the Sirius report, Police reiterated afterward he is not a suspect. It wasn't that clear, so he gave up million$ to depart the Draft.

Anyway, barring League interference, he should be eligible to negotiate with every team. No?

Yeah, but.. He left Chicago to speak with them as requested, ruining his draft status. That meeting happened today and -per the Sirius report, Police reiterated afterward he is not a suspect. It wasn't that clear, so he gave up million$ to depart the Draft.

Anyway, barring League interference, he should be eligible to negotiate with every team. No?

Leaving Chicago didn't change draft status. His plan to announce he wouldn't sign if drafted after Saturday ruined his draft status. If he was drafted in any round, he could have then refused to sign and entered 2016 draft.

He blew it.

No interviews yet and I have no association with the murder victim, but based on the criteria described in this thread I'm facing potential murder charges in this and every other open investigation.

I hope you've got a good lawyer.

It would go without saying, one would think. He's just like any other free agent accept extremely limited pay - so obviously he's want the best shot to succeed. Unfortunately, it may also include wanting to be next to great players

Blocking for LeSean McCoy might help.

The thing is the NFL can do and say whatever it wants. And in this case they would be right, both in the letter and the spirit of what they did and said. An agent can say all he wants to the press but the player and agent would take the hit in the press not the NFL because they would clearly be trying to get away with something they shouldn't get away with. Everyone would know what a terrible set of circumstances this is, and chances are, whatever the agent is complaining about won't come close to this. I really think they can easily do this, with no repercussions. It's unprecedented for a reason.

Not to mention that it is the NFL's stupid rules that caused this.

Except they're not stupid rules. He was in the draft. They didn't ban him from the draft. You think it's clear, but things get awfully murky real quickly. What if he is guilty? What if the *ONE* exception the NFL made ended up being a convicted murderer? Does the team that drafted get the cap space back? The next guy accused of beating a woman wants the same exception...why did you deny him, but allow someone who may have murderer?

KD in CT made an excellent point as well that if they did break precedent, the lawsuits will start.

How about players who feel like an injury decreased their draft value? Why don't they get an exemption? They didn't do anything wrong.

There's no way anything comes out of giving this one players special treatment so he can earn some extra money.