If La'el Collins drops do Bills take him?

ALLEN1QB

Assuming he's innocent and eventually cleared, it might be best for him to go undrafted, then he would be in position to choose where he wants to play and should be able to command a very strong signing bonus.

Edit: I just looked up rookie contract salaries, and I realize that there is still a very big difference between first round and late round picks, so financially he's probably still best off as a first round pick.

Edited by Captain Caveman

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the police won't speak to him because the investigation is ongoing, wouldn't they need to speak to him as part of the investigation if he was a suspect? If that is true, it seems like they want to try and determine custody of the child, right?

I really do wonder if we put Buddy on the case to try and determine what the story is here. I'm assuming at least one team will come up with some intel that will allow them to take Collins relatively early.

I don't get the undraftable part. Why wouldn't you take him in the third round and say we believe in giving people a fair shot. He won't play one snap for us until he is completely exonerated. If he is arrested he will be immediately released and not play a down for us.

Because teams understand you don't necessarily get to control the message in today's media age.

These are billion dollar corporations who will not put one employee above the risk of a PR mess. OJ 'wasn't a suspect' either the first time he spoke to police.

I'm not saying he'll go undrafted, but I wouldn't be surprised. I bet a number of teams have taken him off their boards.

Because teams understand you don't necessarily get to control the message in today's media age.

These are billion dollar corporations who will not put one employee above the risk of a PR mess. OJ 'wasn't a suspect' either the first time he spoke to police.

I'm not saying he'll go undrafted, but I wouldn't be surprised. I bet a number of teams have taken him off their boards.

Yep. If the situation does devolve -- and clearly, that's not a non-zero possibility given the circumstances and the crime -- the mess won't be worth it.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yep. If the situation does devolve -- and clearly, that's not a non-zero possibility given the circumstances and the crime -- the mess won't be worth it.

And I don't see the Pegulas being that type of risk-taking owners.

That is the beauty of doing it this way though. You don't risk that mess. You cut him immediately after you made it crystal clear that you are doing this the American way. If there is an arrest or a potential mess, he is gone before he even puts on a jersey or gets one cent. You lose the pick but not the media onslaught. if he is cleared, you look like the good guys, the smart guys, and the winners of a #1 OL who loves you for a #3 pick.

You could only do it if you looked into it and him and there wasn't a great chance that he was indeed involved.

If he's still there after round 4, you have to take him if you're Whaley. You've already said the late rounders probably aren't making the team so cutting him if he did face charges is no issue, on the opposite side, you have a potential mega-steal