What do you think the record will be based on QB + schedule?

What will the Bills record be this season?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the Bills record will be Matt Cassel is the QB for the whole season?

• 0-16
    • 1-15
    • 2-14
    • 3-13
    • 4-12
    • 5-11
    • 6-10
    • 7-9
    • 8-8
    • 9-7
    • 10-6
    • 11-5
    • 12-4
    • 13-3
    • 14-2
    • 15-1
    • 16-0
  2. 2. What do you think the Bills record will be if EJ is the QB for the whole season?

• 0-16
    • 1-15
    • 2-14
    • 3-13
    • 4-12
    • 5-11
    • 6-10
    • 7-9
    • 8-8
    • 9-7
    • 10-6
    • 11-5
    • 12-4
    • 13-3
    • 14-2
    • 15-1
    • 16-0
  3. 3. How many QBs do you think will start games for the Bills this season?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hokie, I agree with you, I just meant that type of thing, not that specific play. I know EJ can run the read option & wild cat too. Shoot, put both EJ & Tyrod both in there & EJ could block for him or perhaps some trick plays (type of thing). The possibilities are endless.

EJ might be a good TE. Seriously.

It's my opinion that EJ was more consistent than what most believe. In his cautious, protect the ball first and try to make a play second style, he was mostly pretty steady. In 8 of his 14 starts he had a tQBR over 50 ( keep throwing this out there to provoke some discussion.) In fact, the 3 of those 8 that the Bills lost were the NE, Cle and Atl games where most would agree that other parts of the team failed in the clutch and not EJ.

In games where the whole offense was losing their battles (Houston, TB) EJ's performance just imploded in the most visible way and he became the focus of the losses.

I see the Bills becoming a team that will win their individual battles all over the field, including the offense. I guess I am counting on this coaching staff to fix the offensive line which must happen to allow any of their QBs be successful.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Were any other of our past coaches here, I would say that Cassel, and Manuel would both see starts.But, with Rex, I think that he has shown that he will stick with a starter much longer than other coaches.

I think it's going to be Cassel, and (assuming our O-line is offering adequate protection) he will play at a high level. He has shown that he can be effective with the right tools and protection, and I don't see any reason to believe that his previous high-level seasons with the Pats* and Chiefs were a fluke.

Also, I think that Tyrod should be in this poll. Rex has been fairly lukewarm on EJ (by Rex standards), but he has sort of gushed about Tyrod. If Tyrod has a good TC (not outside the realm of possibility), and Rex has a hard-on for him (also, not outside the realm of possibility), then he could very well be our starter-- even with his apparent accuracy issues.

12-4. The defense and the talent level around the QB are the best in the league. Cassel or EJ will have an "average" QB season, which on this team amounts to 12-4 record. If Cassel gets into a pro-bowl type year again, then 14-2 w/ Super Bowl win.

12-4. The defense and the talent level around the QB are the best in the league. Cassel or EJ will have an "average" QB season, which on this team amounts to 12-4 record. If Cassel gets into a pro-bowl type year again, then 14-2 w/ Super Bowl win.

Cassel inherited the 18-1 Pats and went 11-5. And that was when he was 7 years younger.

I do think this team can win with whoever the qb is. I just see more of a potential deep run if EJ develops and potential Taylor. Cassel is what he is at this point.

Were any other of our past coaches here, I would say that Cassel, and Manuel would both see starts.But, with Rex, I think that he has shown that he will stick with a starter much longer than other coaches.

I think it's going to be Cassel, and (assuming our O-line is offering adequate protection) he will play at a high level. He has shown that he can be effective with the right tools and protection, and I don't see any reason to believe that his previous high-level seasons with the Pats* and Chiefs were a fluke.

Also, I think that Tyrod should be in this poll. Rex has been fairly lukewarm on EJ (by Rex standards), but he has sort of gushed about Tyrod. If Tyrod has a good TC (not outside the realm of possibility), and Rex has a hard-on for him (also, not outside the realm of possibility), then he could very well be our starter-- even with his apparent accuracy issues.

I've heard Rex say plenty of positive things about EJ. In most of the interviews I have heard, he had the most to say about EJ.

And considering we haven't even had OTAs, any talk is just talk at this point.

Cassel inherited the 18-1 Pats and went 11-5. And that was when he was 7 years younger.

I do think this team can win with whoever the qb is. I just see more of a potential deep run if EJ develops and potential Taylor. Cassel is what he is at this point.

I've heard Rex say plenty of positive things about EJ. In most of the interviews I have heard, he had the most to say about EJ.

A couple of months ago Sal Paolantonio heard something much different from Rex regarding EJ than what he said on the podium when Rex had his first press conference...

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Combine-Coverage-Sal-Paolantonio-1-on-1-Interview/4b2dcf6c-a32f-47b2-9fda-cb1623718761

"We had Rex Ryan on the set and he startled me in his effusive praise of EJ Manuel…" (:50)

I think the starting job is Manuel's and the only way it isn't is if he struggles with the new offensive system or his deamenor isn't commanding enough. I have a feeling that Manuel has a huge chip on his shoulder and he's a man on a mission this year. That mission is to make Doug Marrone look even more like an idiot for treating him as a game managing, 6th round pick QB. Marrone never trusted EJ, he never let him feel free to run around and make plays and that it was ok to throw some interceptions because he's letting him be aggressive and taking it to the defense. It was always run on first, run on second, pass on 3rd and 8...check it down, check it down. Marrone's offense was pathetic. Hogan said EJ's different and he obviously told Watkins that because he repeated that EJ was different this year. I take that as EJ is throwing a better ball and he has a very determined attitude. I think there's a chance that Manuel plays very solid at QB this year and that could then spring board him to franchise QB, top 12-16 QB level the following seasons.

Edited by 1billsfan

Cassel 11-5

Manuel 4-12

Wow, Bill. You have become a flat out hater of EJ. He has gone 2-2 and 4-6 (with 3 blown 4th quarter leads) in his first 2 years with worse teams.

Hating gets you no where, have a safe trip. I had higher standards for you. Is EJ your new Spiller or Gilmore?

Cassel 11-5

Manuel 4-12

Didn't expect a comment like this from you. I'd bet everything I had that the Bills would finish far better than 4-12 with EJ as QB, including my soul. That's how confident I am that the record you just predicted is garbage. I, like C Biscuit, just lost some respect for your opinion.

That is why I included the parenthetical caveat, "by Rex standards." Rex talks everybody up. He has gushed about Tyrod, and Cassel, as well. But, in the direct interviews I have read, Rex will add things like, "he needs to use his legs more..." and that sort of thing. That's as close to a public criticism as you'll ever hear from Rex.

One thing's for sure-- If EJ has taken that "next step" and wins the starting job, you're going to be having a good time on these boards!

A couple of months ago Sal Paolantonio heard something much different from Rex regarding EJ than what he said on the podium when Rex had his first press conference...

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Combine-Coverage-Sal-Paolantonio-1-on-1-Interview/4b2dcf6c-a32f-47b2-9fda-cb1623718761

"We had Rex Ryan on the set and he startled me in his effusive praise of EJ Manuel…" (:50)

I think the starting job is Manuel's and the only way it isn't is if he struggles with the new offensive system or his deamenor isn't commanding enough. I have a feeling that Manuel has a huge chip on his shoulder and he's a man on a mission this year. That mission is to make Doug Marrone look even more like an idiot for treating him as a game managing, 6th round pick QB. Marrone never trusted EJ, he never let him feel free to run around and make plays and that it was ok to throw some interceptions because he's letting him be aggressive and taking it to the defense. It was always run on first, run on second, pass on 3rd and 8...check it down, check it down. Marrone's offense was pathetic. Hogan said EJ's different and he obviously told Watkins that because he repeated that EJ was different this year. I take that as EJ is throwing a better ball and he has a very determined attitude. I think there's a chance that Manuel plays very solid at QB this year and that could then spring board him to franchise QB, top 12-16 QB level the following seasons.

I followed your link, and I have to say that's pretty anecdotal. But. it's still pretty good to hear, especially in the context of Watkins' recent comments.

I think if we look at Rex's history in choosing QBs. it's not unlikely that, even though he continues to tout the "open competition," he has already made up his mind. It might be one of his greatest flaws, and one that Paolantonio alluded to at the end of the interview. I certainly hope that isn't the case.

I think we'll know early in TC if Rex has already made up his mind, or if it is, indeed, an open competition. Hopefully, it is the latter. And, I hope EJ wins squarely. Personally, I have a much higher opinion of Cassel than most on this site. I believe that his seasons with the Pats* and the Chiefs were not a fluke, but his abilities with adequate protection, and decent skill positions, of which we will hopefully have both. If EJ can beat that Matt Cassel, then maybe we have a franchise QB.

I'm wondering if the opening two games being against the Colts and Pats will have any influence on Rex Roman deciding whether EJ or Cassel starts.

My money's on Cassel being the opening day starter because of the stars around him and he is simply going to look better understanding the defenses and distributing the ball on quick, short passes.

Didn't expect a comment like this from you. I'd bet everything I had that the Bills would finish far better than 4-12 with EJ as QB, including my soul. That's how confident I am that the record you just predicted is garbage. I, like C Biscuit, just lost some respect for your opinion.

I'd take that bet. EJ finishes at or worse than 4-12 and your soul is mine. I hope you're eternally confident.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Good question

Where's the Senator?

we will carry on his spirit till then.

19-0 it is.

Tyrod will be the QB. He's the only QB of the three that Rex speaks highly of.

which means he wont.

smoke and mirrors

and trick plays

I'd take that bet. EJ finishes at or worse than 4-12 and your soul is mine. I hope you're eternally confident.

Imo

I cant see them letting him get that far. He would really have to be awful. like painfully bad.

But now we know who you really are. collecting souls and all

:thumbsup: