Scott Chandler gets weepy over leaving Bills

No one is suggesting that he is a high end starting tight end. What I and others are saying that although he has limitations he also has assets that can be better utilized in a system where the qb is accuarate and there are more two TEs sets, as it exists with the Pats.

Which are you suggesting that Chandler can play? The Gronk role or the Wright role? He can't play either.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that this is a totally false dichotomy? The Bills currently have almost $7 million in cap space.

They really had no strong cap driver to cut Chandler when they did, and it's really not a case of "cut Chandler, or cut someone else to free cap space right now". They had to have cut Chandler because he didn't fit in Roman's plans somehow, and the most respectful way to cut a guy is actually early so he has the most chance to catch on with another team.

Fredex may get cut in training camp if he really has nothing left, or he may get injured and IR'd. Or he may show up and demonstrate that he's still productive and able to contribute. He deserves the chance (IMO) to be judged on what he can actually deliver this year and not pre-judged with a chart of average running back productivity per age.

And Marquies Grey, but why do you say "some no name late round pick"? Or is 2nd and later "late round pick"? Have you seen the Bills draft board, do you know they won't draft a TE in Rd 2 or 3?

If we go TE in the 2nd round, I'd be surprised, but then again I am ignorant. I assumed we'd be looking at OL and LB first in the draft.

As you stated there are limitations to Chandler's game. On the other hand there are strengths to his game. He has tremendous hands and he gets open.Even when defenses know that he is the secondary receiver on most pass plays he has an uncanny ability to still get very open. You don't think that those assets will be utilized by one of the most accurate passers in the game who has demonstrated a tendency to utilize his TEs?

Chandler is a very earnest blocker who is better screening the player he is blocking than moving him. Maybe the fairest way of viewing him is not as a conventional TE with receiving and blocking responsibilities but viewing him as an in-line big receiver who gets open and catches the ball.

Small deals that make you a little better are smart and good deals.

Guys.......something to keep in mind

Keep in mind that the bills kept Grey OVER Chandler......a biult up QB/WR who was on the waiver wire last year........came in and immediately became more noticable on the field then Scott Chandler

Why? Because Grey doesnt get his ass kicked as a blocker while still being able to be a threat as a receiver......THAT is why Scott is gone

Versitility is big in Roman 's offense

Which are you suggesting that Chandler can play? The Gronk role or the Wright role? He can't play either.

He will be a more productive player on a team whose qb is an accurate passer and who has a tendency to go to his TEs. Gronk was the best TE in the game last year so let's not get silly with your comparison. Even as a non-starter I'm confident that he will be a contributing player for the World Champs. Their coaching staff is much more adept at utilizing their players' individual abilitites to a greater degree than most teams do.

He will be a more productive player on a team whose qb is an accurate passer and who has a tendency to go to his TEs. Gronk was the best TE in the game last year so let's not get silly with your comparison. Even as a non-starter I'm confident that he will be a contributing player for the World Champs. Their coaching staff is much more adept at utilizing their players' individual abilitites to a greater degree than most teams do.

I understand that, and every TE and WR in the league is substantially better with an accurate QB. But he is likely to not be active some games. He is already the #3 TE, with little chance of beating out Wright for the #2 spot, and similar to Easley who is a #5 WR but #4 on gameday, Chandler is actually the #4 TE because barring major injury he won't play in blocking 2 TE sets (Hoomanawanui likely will) and he won't play in passing two TE sets (Gronk and Wright will). I'm sure he will play some, and I'm sure Brady can get him the ball. But you're looking at a 30 catch guy unless something happens to Wright or Gronk.

He would barely see the field on the Bills, too. Not because he sucks, he clearly doesn't. He's pretty good. But he has no position here in this offense with this roster.

I'll give it 60/40 he makes it, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were cut, maybe a bit surprised if he were, but barring multiple injuries I'd be more shocked if he is a significant contributor for the season.

Conversely come mid season if there are multiple mid-term injuries at some other position and RB's are all healthy, he may get cut then as a result of needing the roster spot. Based on last season, unless he was also playing hurt, just can't see him contributing much.

Better prepare yourself. He will not make it out of training camp.

The guy was anti clutch!!! Just like Stevie!!

You're misremembering. One game he had an awful play at the end, the Falcons game? But he had very few drops. Good hands, Did well at the end of games.

A good player.

I wasn't surprised to see them bring in a better #1, but was surprised to see them cut him. He'd have been a good #2, IMHO.

He may be, but he better hang on to any ball Brady considers catchable or it may his own balls that he's soon gonna miss. They'll get added to Belichek*'s tub o' steamin' entrails

Chandler was on the verge of being out of the league when the Bills not only signed him but gave him a chance to be the starter. Chandler did a solid job while here. I really wish the team would have kept him as insurance for Clay and to run 2 TE sets, his cap his was reasonable and I am sure you could have found the cuts along the roster to squeeze everyone in.

So it's not surprising a guy who was a 4th round pick sitting the bench and being released by the Chargers, bouncing around 2 teams practice squads is super grateful and thankful to an organization that got him an NFL career.

Clay is going to play #1 TE. He's better in just about every way than Chandler, exponentially in this offense. If you play two TEs, you don't want Chandler on the line because he is a weak blocker. If you play two TEs and split one wide, with the other as an HBack or inline, that would be Clay, and there is no reason to play Chandler split wide instead of Percy Harvin or Robert Woods who are better receivers, route runners, and hands than Chandler. So there are few, if any, combinations where he is a better idea than players we have, or asked to do something he doesn't do well.

All this makes sense and is probably true. But I think a lot of it had to do with creating space for Clay. I'm sure if space wasn't a factor then Chandler is still on the team. Remember he was only just resigned in the offseason and while yes there was a coaching change he didn't really decline terribly. I guess they have faith in the other two of the draft.

Edited by Billsfansince90

Mark my words: Marquise Grey is going to be solid.

Chandler was a reliable target, but he certainly had his weaknesses. His YAC were terrible. A girl scout could tackle that guy. And, IMHO, I don't think he makes the Pats* 53.

Could you elaborate on this?

I think you're absolutely correct on Grey.

The guy was anti clutch!!! Just like Stevie!!

Good player, nothing against him, but was never clutch. Not all on him, but we needed to move on and change the culture at that position. Happy to see what Clay brings to the table...

If we go TE in the 2nd round, I'd be surprised, but then again I am ignorant. I assumed we'd be looking at OL and LB first in the draft.

And some assume QB (BEN for example). I hope we go best player, and I'm too uninformed on college football to feel who that might be.

But OL/TE with the first 2 picks wouldn't surprise me if quality is there.

Historically, the Linebacker U philosophy (Steelers) was that you can find LB talent in the 3-5th rounds and coach them up, so while I agree with drafting LB I wouldn't be surprised if Whaley has his eyes on a couple guys he thinks he can get in the 5th and develop, either guys who have fallen due to character issues or small school guys he thinks are overlooked.

I understand that, and every TE and WR in the league is substantially better with an accurate QB. But he is likely to not be active some games. He is already the #3 TE, with little chance of beating out Wright for the #2 spot, and similar to Easley who is a #5 WR but #4 on gameday, Chandler is actually the #4 TE because barring major injury he won't play in blocking 2 TE sets (Hoomanawanui likely will) and he won't play in passing two TE sets (Gronk and Wright will). I'm sure he will play some, and I'm sure Brady can get him the ball. But you're looking at a 30 catch guy unless something happens to Wright or Gronk.

He would barely see the field on the Bills, too. Not because he sucks, he clearly doesn't. He's pretty good. But he has no position here in this offense with this roster.

Chandler was not added to the Pats' roster because he was going to be an instrumental player.Clearly he is not that type of player. With the Bills he was a secondary player who was less effective because of the caliber of qbs throwing to him. My primary point regarding Chandler is that although he is a limited player for his position that doesn't mean that he won't be a contributor to an offense that has an elite qb who has a tendency to utilize his TEs.

Even if Chandler is inactive in some games that doesn't mean that in the games he is active (assuming he makes the roster) that he won't be a contributing player. When healthy Gronk is arguably the best TE in the game. However, because of the physical way he plays his position he does have a tendency to get hurt opening up more playing time for reserves.

I'm in no way exaggerating Chandler's abilities. My point regarding Chandler regardless if he would have no role with the Bills is that with the Pats there is a good chance that he would be a productive (useful) player for them because he is playing on a team with a HOF qb and he is playing for a coaching staff that is exceptional at accentuating the strengths of players while managing their limitations. The Pats have a history of successfully using the talents of role players as well as any team does. That is one of the reasons why they win at such a high rate.

Edited by JohnC

Good player, nothing against him, but was never clutch. Not all on him, but we needed to move on and change the culture at that position. Happy to see what Clay brings to the table...

Very well said. No reason to bash him, but it was time to move on. My friend once called him his favorite player, it was before the game against the Falcons, and I asked him why and he said he was clutch. After he fumbled the game away, we were busting his chops about being clutch and his response was, well he's clutch some of the time. It became a running joke with the group.

He was never clutch...except when he was.

Chandler is a nice guy. He just isn't a good football player. He is extremely limited and as Kelly has pointed out he doesn't fit in the offense. I wish him well because he is such a good guy. He just isn't the kind of talent that plays an important role on good teams.

Yeah, I think he's another in a long list of recent examples of average players on average Bills teams we allow ourselves to bond with. I won't miss the 2-yard outs, but I did love the snow shoveling TD celebration. Good luck Scott.