Favorite moment as a Bills fan

Sept. 29, 1968 vs Jets. Listening to Van call the game. Namath threw 5 TDs -2 to Jets and 3 Pick 6's including Tommy Janik's 101 yarder. Butch & Booker took 'Em to the House as well. 5 picks total and we squeak out our only win of the Season 37-35. We went on to Draft OJ, Jets went on to World Champions.

Read it in old timers thread; "I think Dan Darragh can be a good QB if we can just get some good OL.."

This is also one of my favorite memories. 1968 was the first season I followed the Bills closely, and I was obsessed with them as a 9-year old. My father used to take us for car rides when there were home games and we'd listen on the radio. I still remember the ups and downs and thrills of that game. I think there were one or two other interceptions (one returned by Butch Byrd for a TD) that were called back by penalty. It was a thrill to have found the AFL Highlights package of that game about 10 years ago on eBay. In fact, those were also the good old days - when you could openly buy recordings of old Bills games off eBay and could watch a lot more old stuff on YouTube before the NFL cracked down.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back during the SB years , we played against The Saints . I believe this was the same year Kelly and Young had the no punt game. Anyhow, The Bills ended up winning a brutal slugfest. The score was like 10-12 or something. The Saints had that 3-4 D with Mill, Swilling , Kirkland(?) and someone else and they were tough. This is back when we used to get killed every year by Pittsburg or KC in a game where we would just get out physicaled. This looked like it would be the same kind of game and the Saints were favored.

After the game Kelly got up on the podium, he'd been beaten to hell, and looked it. He said something like, Before I answer questions let me ask one, " Who in here thought we were going to win this game?" A few reporters raised their hands and he exploded at them, " YOU'RE A LIAR, YOU'RE A LIAR AND YOU'RE A LIAR!!!! No one other than us thought we could win this game!!!!!!

To this day, I get chills when I remember that presser.

That moment epitomized who and what those SB teams where all about. I would kill to find a copy of that post game press conference.

December 20, 1992 -- the week before Kelly was injured in Houston and two weeks before the comeback game.

New England few years back. Brother, his 3 oldest boys, and the fellas that come to every Pats game with me in Buffalo. His oldest son was driving, was 17 at the time , convinced his pop he could a few beers before the game. We made him drink Genny, and he questioned whether it was worth it LOL

Last game I went to with my brother....what a great day. Sunny, he was just getting strength back after chemo...lord, I swear I can remember every play. Watching Freddie run around with that Bills flag, awesome to see just the totally stunned faces of my Pats buddies. Oh, the chit we gave them for the next 5 hours. What a game.

After the game my brother, ever the coach, trying to coach up youngins in Hammers Lot till we lost light. Never seen a smile so wide. He was in his element.

Had to end the day as only the Lenz's could. with a dead battery and Hammer to the rescue!

So many other great moments...even if I only count the ones I was in person in Rich/Ralph.

The Streak Buster against the Phins

Butlers 4 tds

The Rams Conga Line

51-3

Comeback

All with my brother, damn I wish he was here for this year. Just like Stojs grand pa and Eballs dad.....

Edited by plenzmd1

Too many to recall...one that is not quite my favorite but high on the list is the game against Miami in 1987 when the Bills won 27-0. Kelly threw a TD to Reed right before the half to make it 21-0, and they cruised in the second half. It was a coming out of sorts for the team, with all of the young talent including a new Biscuit on defense. That was the game that made everyone start to realize this could be something special. So much fun to be there with my dad.

Two come to mind for me. Both were against the Dolphins. 1980 at the stadium when the streak was broken and the fans tore down the goal posts. Other one has been mentioned as well, beating them when Ricky Williams ran wild. My son was probably 10 at the time and the whole stadium was singing "Let it Snow". By the time we got back to the car there must have been a foot of snow on the ground and everybody was helping push each others cars out.

I have lots of great memories as a Bills fan but one that jumps to mind was the when we came back against the Bengals. Watched it in a bar called Champs here in Atlanta. Had to harass the barman to switch one of the tvs to the Bills game (freaking Jacksonville game was been shown). When I finally got him to change the just before Fitz threw a pick 6 putting us down by 21. He kept making comments and had one of those smirks, so I reminded him that it's the Bills and you never count the Buffalo Bills out. He talked a little differently when we ended up thumping the Bengals 49-31.

AFC Championship Game against the Raiders for me. Your first time is always special.... and that was VERY special. We were invinceable! The greatest team ever (in my mind). The highest high, which led to the lowest low in the very next game - but that's another story.

Edited by Augie

everyone really covered most of everything , and being an old guy, i thought a lot of how to contribute to this thread and i cannot think of anything that has not been covered .in my opinion a favorite moment was walking into rich stadium the night it opened. i loved the rockpile, but knowing we now had a "big league" edifice, i was relieved, estatic , everything.. i knew "we" now didnt have to worry about losing our team to seattle.. much like how we all feel now after pegula's purchase.

Edited by dwight in philly

Too many for me. One for sure was first ever regular season game in 1973 at Rich Stadium. It was my first year of season tickets. Brand new amazing stadium. Great day. OJ started his 2003 yard season with 250 yards and two TDs. Iirc it broke the record at the time for most yards in a game. What a feeling and day that was.

Second maybe was the 1980 opening when we ended the curse against the Dolphins.

I never went crazier than the Roland Hooks game.

The Raiders championship of course.

Although the ending sucked, which ruined it, the wildest the stadium ever was IMO was the Cowboys Monday Night game a few years ago. That was probably the most exciting spurt of action and fun ever for me.

Too many for me. One for sure was first ever regular season game in 1973 at Rich Stadium. It was my first year of season tickets. Brand new amazing stadium. Great day. OJ started his 2003 yard season with 250 yards and two TDs. Iirc it broke the record at the time for most yards in a game. What a feeling and day that was.

Although the ending sucked, which ruined it, the wildest the stadium ever was IMO was the Cowboys Monday Night game a few years ago. That was probably the most exciting spurt of action and fun ever for me.

I agree, if they had won that game, this one would be right near the top. Still, it was very memorable and quite the emotional roller coaster.

Definitely the AFC Championship game verses the Raiders. I won our company lottery for their seats on the 50 and froze my butt off! Great, great memories and for me, pre, during and post game, The game of the ages!

That was a feeling never matched.

That 250-yard season-opener was an away game played at New England.....

#1 is the comeback game

#2 is AFC Championship vs. Raiders

#3 is vs. Dallas in 1984. Greg Bell takes the first play of the game 85 yds for a TD, winless Bills upset Dallas. First game I went to that the won. (I was 6)

#4 Bills @Miami 1983. Marino's first game. He and Ferguson have a shootout of the ages, Joe Cribbs is out of his mind, Uwe Von Schamann shanks 2 FGs in OT, Joe Danelo boots the winner. Bills first win in the Orange Bowl ever. First game I remember watching on TV with my family.

#5 vs. New England 2011 - another one from TV. I still get to watch games with my Dad which us great. We were jumping around and hugging like little kids.

#6 vs Raiders SNF in 1990. Bills down 10 4thQ, Kelly throws a bomb to Lofton, Tasker blocks a punt returned for TD, Odomes steals a ball a retunrs it for a TD, we win.

That 250-yard season-opener was an away game played at New England.....

Ha. That's what memory can do to you. I remember watching him kill the Pats that season but now that you say that you're right. That first game was on the road. He had 219 yards against the Pats at home later in the season. Good call. Lol. 469 against one team.

So many to choose from (as mentioned above)...

But for some reason, Opening Day in Miami 1989, Jim Kelly diving for a touchdown as he's sandwiched by two Dolphins on the last play of the game for the win, stands

out in my mind. The Bills-Dolphins games seemed to take on epic proportions because of the rivalry and two of the greatest QBs dueling it out. And coming off of our 1st good season

(1988) after like 7 really bad ones, that Jim Kelly dive felt like a pivotal moment, like confirmation that this team was indeed special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok0fczZw9gE

And the 44-34 shootout in the snow, in the Divisional Round of the playoffs against the Phins that put the Bills in the AFC Championship against the Raiders was

pretty damn memorable too! (Couldn't find a video of that one.)