Another what-if scenario: Schwartz + Roman

Rubes

The other what-if thread (promoting Pettine to HC) got me wondering if people would feel any differently if, after Marrone quit, we elevated Schwartz to HC and it was he who recruited and hired Roman as the OC.

Would people here feel much differently? Is there more confidence or support for Rex as HC vs. Schwartz, given the same OC?

On the one hand, there is the continuity on defense (Schwartz), while on the other, there is the track record and creativity on defense, plus the allure and personality (Rex).

None of this matters, of course, I'm just curious. For the record, I'm totally on board with the Rex hire.

The other what-if thread (promoting Pettine to HC) got me wondering if people would feel any differently if, after Marrone quit, we elevated Schwartz to HC and it was he who recruited and hired Roman as the OC.

Would people here feel much differently? Is there more confidence or support for Rex as HC vs. Schwartz, given the same OC?

On the one hand, there is the continuity on defense (Schwartz), while on the other, there is the track record and creativity on defense, plus the allure and personality (Rex).

None of this matters, of course, I'm just curious. For the record, I'm totally on board with the Rex hire.

How do we know Greg Roman would have WANTED to come here without Rex. They go way back

This is what I really wanted to have happen--keep Schwartz as HC, and find a good OC to go with him. Don't change the defense up yet again. And I've never been as impressed with Rex as most of the fans here seem to be. I don't get the "allure" of his personality.

The reservations I have with Rex is that he is his own best PR machine. Reality is that he made it to the AFC title game twice with a team that he inherited and from there on it was down hill. Even with 2 AFC championship games he still posts a loosing record of 46-50. Facts are not supporting what the PR machine is producing so to speak. If he does manage to put his money where his mouth is he'll have a ton of respect.

The good news is, he did inherit a pretty good group of guys here as well so hopefully that will work out the same or better.

Personally I was in the Schwartz camp; but supporting the decision now until the season is done.

Edited by bladiebla

Who cares about what ifs, Rex is the coach get over it

Obviously, I think it's worth discussing. If you don't, feel free to not open the thread.

If I were the owner I would have hired Roman as HC and kept Schwartz as DC, rather than the other way around.

Only problem with that is Schwartz very likely would not have stayed under that scenario.

The reservations I have with Rex is that he is his own best PR machine. Reality is that he made it to the AFC title game twice with a team that he inherited and from there on it was down hill. Even with 2 AFC championship games he still posts a loosing record of 46-50. Facts are not supporting what the PR machine is producing so to speak. If he does manage to put his money where his mouth is he'll have a ton of respect.

The good news is, he did inherit a pretty good group of guys here as well so hopefully that will work out the same or better.

Personally I was in the Schwartz camp; but supporting the decision now until the season is done.

Remind me again how stacked that Jests team was after three years of Mangina and no Brett Favre. Edited by Nanker

Rex gets the players pumped up like no other. he doesn't know sh*t about offense and his game management is questionable, but the guys love playing for him. he's definitely more exciting than Schwartz would have been. I hope we play the Pats the first game because he's going to have these guys playing harder than they ever have before in their careers and it's going to be fun to watch us catch some teams by surprise

I would have preferred a Schwartz defense over Pettine's or Ryan's. That said, I'm not sure Schwartz could have run his D well, and the team as Head Coach. I like Ryan's personality more and think he'll be a better and more entertaining coach. Given all the unknowns, I'd choose to stay with what I see we have now. I don't think it's likely a Schwartz promotion would have turned out as well.

A number of our recent free agents came because of Rex. I see right now him as a good hire. I also think that post Detroit celebration was classless.

Schwartz was a good defensive coordinator but he didn't have control over his Detroit team. Like him or not Rex brought his first two years with the Jets to the AFC Championship and that was with Sanchez.

If this scenerio played out we would be in the middle of WWIII and half the country nuked.

Leaving only half the teams to play. That would pretty much guarantee a Super Bowl victory. Typical Buffalo would find a way to screw it up.

Is it worth it at the expense of half the NFL/ Country?

Imo