Would you trade for Andy Dalton?

He could easily be available for next season if he doesn't take the next step this year and Lewis gets fired (he is a lame duck in 2015). Favorable contract for a QB. I hate to be picky but I am not sure...

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/4/2/8335921/nfl-com-andy-dalton-bengals-2016?_ga=1.83712534.1032117833.1424096313

depends on how this year goes and hopefully we get our boy Cook

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Dalton is below the "Alex Smith" line. I think that With an Alex Smith level of QB play they could win a Super Bowl. Here are the guys that I think could lead this Bills roster to a championship: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rivers, Luck, Manning, Manning, Flacco, Roethelisberger, Ryan, Newton, Alex Smith and Romo.

Then there are some "wild cards" that have question marks but at their best can certainly get the job done: Kaepernick, RG3, Cutler and Bradford.

The next tier is the I just don't know guys: Tannehill, Dalton and Foles. I'm just not sold on Tannehill yet.

I don't know if I agree with your list completely, but it raises a sad thought. The Bills won't get a shot at having any one of those guys on their roster. It isn't the way the league works. The "have-nots" need to go find their own QB. It doesn't apply to any other position.

I don't know if I agree with your list completely, but it raises a sad thought. The Bills won't get a shot at having any one of those guys on their roster. It isn't the way the league works. The "have-nots" need to go find their own QB. It doesn't apply to any other position.

I hear you but Manning, Brees and Smith are all on their second teams. The same goes for Cutler, Bradford and Foles. Again it isn't all that likely and it has to be a special circumstance but not impossible. In fact, I think that this is likely the last year for Rivers in SD.

Hmm, a Pro Bowl QB who has lead his team to multiple playoff appearances. He won't get traded, and many teams would jump for him if he did become available.

i think he could be gone. It's a weird fan base and most of them hate him. The media thinks he holds the team back, not that he is the reason they make the playoffs. They don't care about making the playoffs anymore (they already forgot what it was like not to have a Qb) and their games don't sell out. It's largely a baseball town. The owner is really cheap and would probably love to part with the contract and start over if he doesn't win a playoff game this year. He's sensitive to the fan base as they are very vocal on ticket sales - they paid for the stadium. The fans are very bandwagon and decide whether to support the team on a week to week basis.

Btw you can't really have called him a Pro bowl qb with a straight face. He was like the 7th alternate. If he didn't go I think Kyle Orton was next.

That said he's probably better than Cassel.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I would go after any upgrade.

Is he an upgrade to Cassel? Yes

An upgrade to EJ? Definetly

A starting QB will give us a Chance at the playoffs. Why not attempt to improve the position?

Imo

Hmm, a Pro Bowl QB who has lead his team to multiple playoff appearances. He won't get traded, and many teams would jump for him if he did become available.

Not so fast my friend, no ones interested in his 0-4 playoff record. He kinda stinks in any game that matters.

I wouldn't even trade EJ straight up for him.

Pretty much.

Agree with that, except personally I think Tannehill is easily better than Dalton or Foles. I would love to have Tannehill on this team. I don't know if I want Foles or Dalton at all.

Tannehill's first 14 games - 12 TDs

Manuel's first 14 games - 19 TDs

I think Bills fans should wait to let this year play out before pining away for Tannehill given that he came into the league with a huge security blanket in the form of his college coach Mike Sherman as his OC for his first two years. Sherman also had a bunch of years as a head coach for the Packers and coached a fellow by the name of Brett Favre. EJ Manuel had two amateur nobodies from a college football program that is only known to people who exist in the western half of NYS, Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett. Let's get excited to watch Manuel develop some more, get much better and have a breakout year under Rex and Roman. Dude just might flip the script on the AFC East QB rankings. You never know.

I hear you but Manning, Brees and Smith are all on their second teams. The same goes for Cutler, Bradford and Foles. Again it isn't all that likely and it has to be a special circumstance but not impossible. In fact, I think that this is likely the last year for Rivers in SD.

The only two good QBs that switched teams had franchise QBs in their grasp behind them.

Peyton left b.c the Colts had Luck, Brees left b.c the Chargers had Rivers.

Edited by Beef Jerky

I think Bills fans should wait to let this year play out before pining away for Tannehill given that he came into the league with a huge security blanket in the form of his college coach Mike Sherman as his OC for his first two years. Sherman also had a bunch of years as a head coach for the Packers and coached a fellow by the name of Brett Favre. EJ Manuel had two amateur nobodies from a college football program that is only known to people who exist in the western half of NYS, Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett. Let's get excited to watch Manuel develop some more, get much better and have a breakout year under Rex and Roman. Dude just might flip the script on the AFC East QB rankings. You never know.

Haha.

I think EJ has a chance. I think Tannehill has a much better chance. He's played three years. He's gotten better each year. I don't think he's had good offensive players and coaches for the most part. Decent but not good.

I think EJ has a chance. I think Tannehill has a much better chance. He's played three years. He's gotten better each year. I don't think he's had good offensive players and coaches for the most part. Decent but not good.

If you don't think that Mike Sherman is good what would you call Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett?

As for Tannehill, the guy hasn't played well in the fourth quarter of games and in games with the season on the line for two years in a row. He's actually becoming the "Andy Dalton" of regular season big games. With EJ, the early career book is much more incomplete. He did show in the Falcon game two years ago that he could make the plays with the season on the line only to be let down by fumbles from Stevie and Chandler. What's funny is that the Dolphins are shortly going to have to pay a huge 100 million dollar QB contract for a guy who's shown very little in big games and has never made the playoffs.

Edited by 1billsfan

Dalton, Alex Smith an Tannehill are all similar for me. I don't believe any of the 3 ever wins a Superbowl but they are all Quarterbacks that will mean you have a genuine shot at the play-offs every year. I wouldn't want to make a long term commitment to any of them because you might miss a genuinely great one or indeed lose top tier talent at other positions to meet the cap whilst settling for a guy that is never going to get you there. However, Dalton's cap number is not prohibitive and therefore I might consider trading a third and a fifth / sixth or something to take him, knowing that you could continue to afford to surround him with talent and he is better than what we have. All of that with the caveat that we don't miss taking a shot at someone who might be the guy whilst doing that.

Tannehill's completion percentages on throws past 15 yards is pretty awful. He simply cannot stretch the field, even though he has an incredible arm - for whatever reason, he can't (or won't) throw deep. You can beat him by flooding the underneath zones and taking away the short passing game. I'm not a fan.

Dalton is a JAG. He's athletically limited, comes up short in big situations, and has accuracy issues that are similar to EJ's - it's less about completion percentage than ball placement. He nearly gets AJ Green killed at least once a game with an errant pass and his protection is usually solid.

I wouldn't want either guy if the goal is to win a Superbowl, which it should be.

Dalton had a good first two years for a QB, especially a 2nd rounder. People were really optimistic on him and now all of a sudden he has a bad year and this "Dalton is the epitome of an average QB" narrative came out and now it's supposedly a fact. Recent history shows that these "Player X SUCKZZZZ" narratives have sometimes very little basis in fact. Remember when nobody would touch Randy Moss with a 10 foot pole when he was in Oakland? I remember fans saying "I don't care if NE gets him". That's a true story.

I see no reason why a QB that has been to the playoffs several times is not good enough for the Bills. Zero.

Also, I live in Miami and watched Tannehill lots of times. He's going to be a top 7-10 QB in this league for a long time, probably starting in 2015.