Would you trade for Andy Dalton?

Take a look at his contract. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6493/andy-dalton

No freaking way. He's no better than what can be had in free agency, he'd cost as much or more in salary plus he'd cost something in terms of draft picks or players. Oh and then there's the whole choking in important games thing.

Edited by BarleyNY

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the QB is average but his contract isn't

Dalton is scheduled to make $10.5million in 2016 and $13.1million in 2017. NONE of that is fully guaranteed money, he had all that in year 1 of his deal (2014). So even though the numbers get very big after that you can either renegotiate or cut him with minimal penalty. He is far from an ideal option but if he becomes available via trade next off season his contract is not, to my mind, prohibitive.

Dalton is scheduled to make $10.5million in 2016 and $13.1million in 2017. NONE of that is fully guaranteed money, he had all that in year 1 of his deal (2014). So even though the numbers get very big after that you can either renegotiate or cut him with minimal penalty. He is far from an ideal option but if he becomes available via trade next off season his contract is not, to my mind, prohibitive.

I think the ultimate test for those wanting Dalton is asking yourself this one question, would Bill Belichick approve of the Bills acquiring Andy Dalton?

I think Belichick would offer to pack his bags and drive him from Cincinnati to Buffalo.

I think Dalton is below the "Alex Smith" line. I think that With an Alex Smith level of QB play they could win a Super Bowl. Here are the guys that I think could lead this Bills roster to a championship: Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rivers, Luck, Manning, Manning, Flacco, Roethelisberger, Ryan, Newton, Alex Smith and Romo.

Then there are some "wild cards" that have question marks but at their best can certainly get the job done: Kaepernick, RG3, Cutler and Bradford.

The next tier is the I just don't know guys: Tannehill, Dalton and Foles. I'm just not sold on Tannehill yet.

Good list - and as always I'm a big fan of posters putting together real lists. Taking the time to really qualify a statement/opinion makes the discussion so much better

Imo

Regardless of what we would get in Dalton, I imagine what we would lose, whether it be future picks or current talent, would be greater.

No deal on that premise alone.

What if we found someone that didn't have a great fit or was likely to walk soon? Say a kiko for McCoy type deal.

Good list - and as always I'm a big fan of posters putting together real lists. Taking the time to really qualify a statement/opinion makes the discussion so much better

Imo

Thanks NoSaint!! I did forget Stafford who is on the low end of that 1st tier. A guy that could win a Super Bowl with this roster.

Hmm, a Pro Bowl QB who has lead his team to multiple playoff appearances. He won't get traded, and many teams would jump for him if he did become available.

Only thing is he is very limited. He hasn't played well against better defense esp in the playoffs. Granted I think the trade market for him would be very good but it's not exactly the best option.

I think the ultimate test for those wanting Dalton is asking yourself this one question, would Bill Belichick approve of the Bills acquiring Andy Dalton?

I think Belichick would offer to pack his bags and drive him from Cincinnati to Buffalo.

I don't include myself in "those wanting Dalton." If Cassel or EJ get us to the play-offs this year there is no point trading for Dalton because getting you to the play-offs is his ceiling. But if we fall short again this year because we are hampered by Quarterback play and Dalton is the best available option to start next year then I would consider it at the right price because taking on his contract is not making a big long term commitment to him due to its structure.

Dalton has to be one of the luckiest QB's alive. I'm reminded of one play last season where he caught a pass in the flat and scored a TD despite being heavily covered. It was a miracle! There's also the classic Chris Kelsay strip sack recovered for a TD by Bryan Scott that got reversed due to tuck rule. This guy's whole career is succeeding on flukes and discontinued rules that just barely get them squeaking into playoffs, where Dalton shows his true colors and completely fails.

I don't include myself in "those wanting Dalton." If Cassel or EJ get us to the play-offs this year there is no point trading for Dalton because getting you to the play-offs is his ceiling. But if we fall short again this year because we are hampered by Quarterback play and Dalton is the best available option to start next year then I would consider it at the right price because taking on his contract is not making a big long term commitment to him due to its structure.

There's no right price for a guy who will never take you to a Superbowl let alone ever win one. If EJ fails (Cassel is never going to be the answer) then the Bills do anything and everything to either sign Rivers, move up for a franchise QB in the draft or trade talent and picks to get Drew Brees (or another old veteran like that) on the last few years of his career. One way or the other the Bills will have a QB with promise for a Superbowl run. This team has too much talent and someone like Brees will want to come here. You've got to think BIG with the team they've got, not small.

Edited by 1billsfan

There's no right price for a guy who will never take you to a Superbowl let alone ever win one. If EJ fails (Cassel is never going to be the answer) then the Bills do anything and everything to either sign Rivers, move up for a franchise QB in the draft or trade talent and picks to get Drew Brees (or another old veteran like that) on the the last few years of his career. One way or the other the Bills will have a QB with promise for a Superbowl run. This team has too much talent and someone like Brees will want to come here. You've got to think BIG with the team they've got, not small.

If you read what I said then it is clear that if Brees or Rivers are options I would not settle for Dalton. I don't think you are reading my posts. I am not advocating Andy Dalton. If you stop deciding what I think based on that incorrectly perceived bias it will aid your understanding. If the Buffalo Bills miss the play-offs again in 2015 due to sub standard Quarterback play then they have to do whatever they can within reasonable limits to get better. If that means losing some talent to get an ageing top Quarterback they should do it. However, if one of those very top guys is not available then what they need is a less drastic upgrade, but an upgrade nonetheless to allow them to make the play-offs in 2016 whilst they draft a guy for the future and then do not have to rush him to start day 1. Dalton's contract makes him one of the few mid-tier guys that then becomes an option - because the cap hit in 2016 and 17 wouldn't force you to ditch a large amount of talent to afford him and you can cut him after 1 or 2 years with very little dead money as all his fully guaranteed money was paid in 2014.