Interesting combinations and formations for the offense

Just for fun, and because we have so many different kinds of playmakers on our team, try to imagine an interesting combination of players to have on the field, and how they should line up, and then what the Bills should then try to do with that group. Use any QB, and combination of 5 skill players, and try to only use one per post, so people can just react to that particular concept.

How about this one:

Shady, the fullback Jerome Felton, and Percy Harvin all in the backfield. Then have Sammy Watkins and Marquise Goodwin split wide. Before the snap, Harvin goes in motion and without stopping, becomes the slot receiver. Depending on whether the defense has the set up and the players to stop the pass and the speed we have on the field, we run power. If they have an extra LB in there to stop the run, we spread the three speedsters out and throw downfield, having Shady immediately run a flare or sideline pattern and Felton stay in to pass block.

The three speedsters would have to force a reaction from the defensive braintrust.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shady in the backfield. Harvin and Sammy on the left side of the formation. 6 OLmen on the field in an obvious power run formation. Clay also on the line. With the QB, that's 11 men on the field. Harvin goes in motion like it's going to be a jet sweep. Only the QB doesn't hand it off. The defense is stacking the box and limiting coverage on the receivers as one man follows Harvin. Shady stays in to block for the QB. QB has three routes to choose from, looks at Sammy and pumps once. Pass goes to deep down the seam to Clay. Safety is bowled over when he is caught thinking the pass was going to Sammy and has his hips turned the wrong way to make a play. Pass rushers never had a chance on the QB with 6 OLmen on the field plus Shady.

I'm still a fan of - sammy, woods, harvin, clay and Goodwins play to play versatility. You could have a dangerous 5 wide, or drop into a traditional running set with clay at FB/TE and harvin in the backfield without tipping your hat with the personnel or substituting. Kind of like how ne had 2 tight end sets that could be power running or dynamic passing in the same attack.

If we add a tight end that's a dynamic prospect to sub in for Goodwin there Youd sacrifice a little speed but the broad range from the same personel is impressive. You could trot out 5 wrs essentially and be a true power running formation.

Edited by NoSaint

5 wide.... Harvin, shady, Sammy, Clay, and woods.... Shady motions and sets up beside the QB in shotgun.... This will show a lot of what the defense is bringing.... Hand off if they appear to be playing the pass, woods and Harvin can play grab ass over the middle, Sammy has the wiggle to make a double move and Clay can run any number of a handful of routes to draw LB coverage....run this same type of formation with different variations of play call. Seems too jv to work- but there are too many things that these guys can to well.... I'm pumped!

I'm still a fan of - sammy, woods, harvin, clay and Goodwins play to play versatility. You could have a dangerous 5 wide, or drop into a traditional running set with clay at FB/TE and harvin in the backfield without tipping your hat with the personnel or substituting. Kind of like how ne had 2 tight end sets that could be power running or dynamic passing in the same attack.

If we add a tight end that's a dynamic prospect to sub in for Goodwin there Youd sacrifice a little speed but the broad range from the same personel is impressive. You could trot out 5 wrs essentially and be a true power running formation.

I love that idea. Well done.

Sammy Woods Clay and Harvin in a two by two set. Shady and QB in the gun.

I love this because Clay gives us an extra blocker it receiver threat. You can use either Harvin or Sammy in motion creating a trips.

Put the defense on islands, get our guys 1 on 1 match ups, and the QB can take the one that he likes best.

This will be the first time Sammy will be healthy enough to be called on for some end arounds or reverses. We already know Percy knows how to do it but its a whole new dimension of Sammy's game that we've only seen in his Clemson days. He's a serious threat in that regard.

I love to imagine the Roman goal line set, Clay on the line, Hogan in the slot, Felton and Freddy in the I formation and Sammy/Woods split wide.

The ultimate play for the audible depending on what the coverage gives you. If they load the box then we play action and Felton/Freddy protect, Clay releases and Hogan Sammy Woods make four possible targets. Percy might win the slot job in goal to go sets but its nice to have the tall white wonder in there when things get crowded.

If they show pass coverage we pound it up and in. I suppose Shady could be the back in this package instead of Freddy but I still don't think Rex completely gets what a phenomenal short yardage guy FJax really is.

Shady is more of a hole finder and 22 is more of a hole maker. Ive never seen a back do more with less than he does.

This will be the first time Sammy will be healthy enough to be called on for some end arounds or reverses. We already know Percy knows how to do it but its a whole new dimension of Sammy's game that we've only seen in his Clemson days. He's a serious threat in that regard.

I love to imagine the Roman goal line set, Clay on the line, Hogan in the slot, Felton and Freddy in the I formation and Sammy/Woods split wide.

The ultimate play for the audible depending on what the coverage gives you. If they load the box then we play action and Felton/Freddy protect, Clay releases and Hogan Sammy Woods make four possible targets. Percy might win the slot job in goal to go sets but its nice to have the tall white wonder in there when things get crowded.

If they show pass coverage we pound it up and in. I suppose Shady could be the back in this package instead of Freddy but I still don't think Rex completely gets what a phenomenal short yardage guy FJax really is.

Shady is more of a hole finder and 22 is more of a hole maker. Ive never seen a back do more with less than he does.

I felt bad leaving off shady for my "5 wide running" and here you are with hogan and Felton and Freddy?!?

Nate? Is that you?

Edited by NoSaint

No oline men, just Clay playing center. 10 guys run different patterns and Tyrod Taylor runs straight backwards for 15yards to out run the slow DLinemen. Then Tyrod throws it up in hail mary. The DBs have to decide whether to blitz the unprotected QB or cover the 10 WRs streaking down the field. :beer::thumbsup:

Edited by Uffalo Ills

This thread makes me worry that we have too many weapons.

Not enuf balls to go around. And that's even if the balls are thrown accurately.

I predict a few growing pains, until this Offense hits its stride around week 6-7.

This thread makes me worry that we have too many weapons.

Not enuf balls to go around. And that's even if the balls are thrown accurately.

I predict a few growing pains, until this Offense hits its stride around week 6-7.

Said no offensive coordinator, ever.

If I'm picking 5 skill players to put out to form the core of our offensive plays it would be: Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Clay and Shady. From this you can break out of the huddle and run so many formations effectively to create mismatches.

Run game: Power run with Clay blocking as FB

HB handoff

Sweeps with Clay and Woods blocking outside.

Zone read.

If they start blocking the zone read, they're probably using a LB to spy the QB and Harvin is unaccounted for. Run a jet sweep.

Pass game: Screen passes to Sammy, Harvin AND Shady are options in pretty much every formation.

3 Wide, with Shady and Clay backfield blocking.

4 wide, Clay has the option to block on the line.

5 wide.

That's a lot of things to have one defense to account for. Someone mentioned the heavy nickel, but few defenses are deep and/or talented enough to pull that off well every down.

It's fun to think about!

How about this?

6 OL plus Clay, with Felton and Shady in the backfield--'22' or "Tank" personnel--Sammy lines up as the only wideout.

If the D lines up in a heavy set, the QB goes to his kill call: Clay flexes out and Shady swings to Sammy's side of the formation, snap goes on a quick-count.

You're basically set up with a 7-man protection scheme, and Sammy/Clay/Shady in 1-on-1, with at least one of them on a safety.