Peter King: Jahri Evans still on block(update:signed ext.)

Wow. So you're saying almost no one drafted in the third round or lower makes it in the NFL?? Do you realize Evans was a 4th round pick...from a D2 school to boot?? :lol:

Promo, I was talking about the Buffalo Bills history of drafting, and the ineptitude that has followed this franchise for a decade. Look back at the players drafted from the 3rd to 7th rounds over the last ten years, and tell me who made it to become a solid starter for more then a year or so besides Kyle Williams.

Buddy Nix had a philosophy that you can find decent starters for the offensive line in the later rounds. Those words in itself has to be the most moronic statement I've ever read, and he found some fans here to regurgitate that nonsense. Its utterly ridiculous to say that you can find a decent NFL starter for any position in the later rounds, as its usually pure luck finding one after the 3rd round.

This franchise has had enough trouble finding decent starters in the 2nd thru 3rd rounds much less after the 3rd, and seems to find only average players with its first round picks. You would think that being able to draft in the top 12 every year that they would find superstars. Then when they do find a superstar they can't get the production out of them and trade them away (Lynch). Kinda why the team needed to shell out 100 mill in free agency to Super Mario, as they couldn't find a JPP, or JJ Watt in the draft.

My take is the team should be looking hard at both Evans from the Saints, and Mathis from the Eagles as I have little faith in Incognito to control himself over an entire season. Want to understand just how bad this team was a run blocking last year? Go back and watch that Raiders game, and with a playoff berth on the line against a bad 2-12 team... the Bills had only 13 rushes for 13 yards.

The thinking that the new OC or line coach can fix all the ills with the players is delusional at best. Roman did really well in San Fran because he had 3 #1 draft picks on the line, and several pro bowlers. The Buffalo Bills website list Ex Bears OC Arron Kromer as the new Bills O line coach, and he has had pro bowl players on his line the last 6 seasons. The Bears #1 pick at OG in Kyle Long made it the PB last two years. Before that its OG Jahri Evans, & OG Carl Nicks with the Saints, and he could be the coach the Bills have needed for years, or not, or it could have been Sean Payton.

Then looking at last years draft where the #2 drafted OT is so bad he can't even see the field leaves me with no faith that the Bills scouts will find find quality starters in the draft for the line this season. JMO

Edited by FeartheLosing

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, I would do both. There isn't anything more critical to this team's success this year, absent being able to acquire a great franchise qb, than having a top notch OL.

I agree! Alas, it seems that although the FO started in that direction this free agency period they failed to obtain the players targeted and then walked away. Looking at the Bills players from last season I just don't get how the FO can even contemplate that they will be able to build a run first, power run game with the players on the roster. None are elite, and none are really great at run blocking that I've seen.

I agree! Alas, it seems that although the FO started in that direction this free agency period they failed to obtain the players targeted and then walked away. Looking at the Bills players from last season I just don't get how the FO can even contemplate that they will be able to build a run first, power run game with the players on the roster. None are elite, and none are really great at run blocking that I've seen.

Scheme could have a lot to do with that........

I feel like they need one more quality OL then they will be cooking with fire

So Jahri's new numbers are as follows:

Jahri Evans G

Base: $1,003,000

Signing Bonus: $3,800,000 Roster Bonus: $597,000 - Workout Bonus: $100,000 Restructured Bonus: $1,500,000 - Total Contract)

$7,000,000

So if he were traded the team that received him (say, the Bills) would not be on the books for his signing bonus. If that's the case his cap hit would be $3.2 mil in 2015, which is more than reasonable.

Under those terms I would think he would be easier to trade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when a player is traded his signing bonus doesn't count on the new teams cap???

Jahri Evans G

Signing Bonus: $3,800,000 Roster Bonus: $597,000 - Workout Bonus: $100,000 Restructured Bonus: $1,500,000 - Total Contract)

$7,000,000

So if he were traded the team that received him (say, the Bills) would not be on the books for his signing bonus. If that's the case his cap hit would be $3.2 mil in 2015, which is more than reasonable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe when a player is traded his signing bonus doesn't count on the new teams cap???

Why the hell would the saints pay him 3.8m just to trade him? They already paid him that at the time of the signing. That is why he is never going to be traded.

Why the hell would the saints pay him 3.8m just to trade him? They already paid him that at the time of the signing. That is why he is never going to be traded.

If I'm reading the spotrac breakdown correct --- His signing bonus was 5.4m but the 3.8 is the remaining 2m amortized from his former, plus 1.8m from his extension being amortized.

If the saints traded him I believe it'd be 10.4m in dead money from the original deal bonus, his prior restructure and the signing bonus in his extension. Long story short, he isn't moving.

Edited by NoSaint

Well, crap. Best lineman available at 50, unless Mathis or someone else becomes a viable trade option.

Again, Evan Mathis is not a fit for this team, or they would have probably already brought him in. He is a zone-blocking offensive guard, not a power-blocker like what the Bills have and want to build with.

Everywhere you look, this is what you will read about him...

"Not a road grader." http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Mathis,Evan-OG-Alabama.htm

"At 6'5/298, Mathis is an athletic guard and would ideally land in another zone-blocking scheme." http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=512380

"Just about the only weakness in Mathis' game is that he's not much of a power guard, but that's not his game." http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/7/15/2277815/bengals-scouting-report-evan-mathis

None of that sounds like the kind of offensive line the Buffalo Bills are trying to build. He is 290 lbs, whereas Iupati (Roman's LG in San Fran) was 350...Evans does not fit this offensive line's scheme.

Edited by Bubbles from Sunnyvale

Again, Evan Mathis is not a fit for this team, or they would have probably already brought him in. He is a zone-blocking offensive guard, not a power-blocker like what the Bills have and want to build with.

"Not a road grader." http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Mathis,Evan-OG-Alabama.htm

"At 6'5/298, Mathis is an athletic guard and would ideally land in another zone-blocking scheme." http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=512380

"Just about the only weakness in Mathis' game is that he's not much of a power guard, but that's not his game." http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/7/15/2277815/bengals-scouting-report-evan-mathis

None of that sounds like the kind of offensive line the Buffalo Bills are trying to build. He is 290 lbs, whereas Iupati (Roman's LG in San Fran) was 350...Evans does not fit this offensive line's scheme.

He's not a road grader but Roman very much likes athletic guards who can pull and run out on screens. That's what made Lou Potty so good; he was very athletic and pulled and was still 350. But IMO Roman would want an athletic guard who could still run block over a bigger guy who wasn't athletic.

Now that he has been restructured so that the Saints can afford to keep him......can the OP plèase change the thread title to "...Evans now off the trade blocks.."?

zone or power blocking . . . any kind of blocking would be an upgrade fro the Bills at RG

Jahri Evans G

$7,000,000

This should tell you they are not going to trade him now.

Jahri Evans

G

Signing Bonus: $3,800,000

Roster Bonus: $597,000

-

Workout Bonus: $100,000

Restructured Bonus: $1,500,000

-

Total Contract)

$7,000,000

As others have said, NO won't be trading him now. The trade possibility was to create cap room and/or try to get him to alter his contract. They came to a new agreement. Trading him now would put NO in a worse cap situation than if they had done it before the reworked deal.

This. The same restructure that makes a guy easier to trade, makes him sensible to keep.

That, but he's also virtually untradable for the saints now. They just created a ton of extra dead money if they wanted to move him. A team with lots of space could do eat but the saints can't afford that