Best RB in Buffalo Bills history?

TheJuice

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as we all love Thurman, who was a great all-round back, OJ Simpson in his prime was the greatest running back in NFL history, with the possible exception of Jim Brown. Thurman does not belong in that conversation. Ask anyone who played with or against OJ in the early 70s.

I think thurman is #1 just because OJ was talented, but he clearly sucked later in his career. This was him falling off the cliff early due to overplay, but also due to not having an epic oline. He was basically demarco murray, good player, but legendary oline. Thurman didnt really have that. That might be an oversimplification, but, idk. Tinker Bell ought to be somewhere on this list. he was pretty good when healthy

The only comparable rb in today's nfl is AP.

My take:

Best pure rb = OJ

Best all purpose back= TT

Thurman for these reasons...he could run and find the smallest cracks and shuffle sideways to get thru...wasnt that awesome to watch? He picked up the blitz like no other. And losing your helmet during a super bowl must count for something ! And ran routes and caught passes like a wide receiver. OJ was a one trick pony

Edited by billsfan_34

Depends how you define "best RB".

Best pure runner - O.J.

He ran like a thoroughbred stallion. Long strides, quick, fast, great balance, ability to cut on a dime. He had incredible field vision and a sense of where defenders were - even if they were coming up behind him. His O-line was good, but not as good as the Superbowl era O-line. He wasn't really a power runner by today's standards, though his size was an advantage. He just seemed to glide. He was doing on turf what Gil Perrault was doing on skates. He was a freak.

Best all around back - Thurman

Like OJ, he had great vision, able to read the blocking flow so he could make his cuts and squeeze through gaps. He had a lower center of gravity and could find smaller holes and break through them. He was superior to OJ as a pass receiver. He was probably the best RB Buffalo ever had at picking up blitzes and protecting his QB as a blocker.

He possessed a better football mind than OJ and could read defenses as good as any QB.

In today's game, if I had to pick one, I'd rather have Thurman Thomas.

Cribbs was definitely the next guy I'd put on the list. Unfortunately for Bills fans, he was a Bill at a bad time. Coaching changes, contract issues, player discontent, and an extended player strike in 1982. He was voted to 3 pro bowls in 4 years at a time when fan voting wasn't a factor. Coaches and other players did the voting.

He had a great rookie season under coach Chuck Knox in 1980, but got caught in the usual upheaval at One Bills Drive, with coaching changes, money disputes, and general acrimony among players. (why do think Jim Kelly cried when drafted by Buffalo in 1983?) This was a typical pattern throughout Ralph Wilson's ownership. Cribbs was in a contract dispute and jumped ship after 4 years, going to the newly formed USFL.

If Cribbs had been in a positive situation throughout his career with an owner, coach, and team that maximized his talent, he would be in the Hall of Fame by now. Like Thurman, he was smart and was a good pass receiver. He just got caught in the gears during a bad period in Bills history.

Thurman had one of the best O-lines in team history. OJ was the best...Just watch his hi-lites. Thurman a close 2nd. Also for years Bills had no passing game. Teams knew OJ was getting the ball and still couldn't stop him

Thanks for this video. There aren't too many Bills highlights better than OJ highlights.

OJ is elite and legendary because his physical talent overshadowed everybody else on the field. He did have a great oline. He still outran, jumped over, ran through defenders who were not blocked. And the K-gun was built to maximize Thurman's talents and everyone else's on the offense. Watch some of the man's runs and tell me what oline blocking has to do with many of them.

I actually met OJ at training camp once but I was too young to truly remembering him playing. Watch the film he ran type same way Eric Dickerson ran. So effortlessly with that rare combination of power and speed. All that after football crap mmakes you forget what a great player he truly was. Edited by KRT88

Thurman had a great Oline, sure. Just not an Oline specifically built to maximize his talent. Saban literally said he was trying to build around OJ and do nothing else. and OJ > Murray by a million percent, but, I'm just making a comparison here, Murray is good, but, he is elite because of his oline. OJ was elite, but he is legendary because of his oline.

Thurman had an entire offense specifically built to maximize his talent. And it was an offense that had a HOF QB and two HOF WRs which afforded TT room to operate that Simpson never had. OJ had the entire defense waiting for him every play and still put up numbers that have never been matched.

TT was a great player but to suggest he was better than OJ is ludicrous.

Been following the team since 1963 and have seen all of our RB's. Here's my list.

1) OJ

2) Thurman

3) Cribbs

4) Cookie

5) Freddy

6) Tie: the troublesome trio - Bell, Henry, Lynch

You could say all OJ could do is run, well all Rembrandt could do was paint. OJ could catch, in fact they wanted to make him a reciever his rookie year. But why bother throwing it to him when he shredded defenses as a runner?

Edited by Green Lightning

Joe Cribbs at # 3?

Yes

Kenny Davis belongs in the top 10 somewhere, too.

Jim Braxton was the FB when Simpson was here and he was a very good runner for a FB

I actually met OJ at training camp once but I was too young to truly remembering him playing. Watch the film he ran type same way Eric Dickerson ran. So effortlessly with that rare combination of power and speed. All that after football crap mmakes you forget what a great player he truly was.

I recall very well watching Simpson play. In my estimation, only Barry Sanders, Erik Dickerson and Earl Campbell were as unstoppable.

OJ best pure runner in the history of NFL football, I am hoping our new toy compares but he won't probably.

Cookie, if Cookie would have lived in a better world at the time he would have been the legend that Jim Brown was, his personality and circumstances effed the guy over big time and cut his career short/made him play up north first.

TT maybe tied with Cookie but not better than him

Fred eff it, I love me some Fred

The Bills have been really lucky even rich with RBs, so the list behind these 4 is actually more interesting than the topic at hand.

Mcgahee

Lynch

Antwon Smith

CJ (you just watch this year (evil laugh)

Carlton (people be all like who?)

Henry

Cribbs

Greg Bell

Mini Max

Kevin Davis

FB list of it's own would make sense sort of too Braxton, Gash

Here is list ranking them, I am sure there are more out there http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/alltime-rushing

I was thinking the same thing about Cookie. You forgot Lincoln.

That's where I'd put him, though I never saw Cookie play so might defer to older fans on that one. Cribbs was an excellent back.

Cookie was great -for TWO years. He was a d*ck and was kicked off the team, before Saban relented and let him back. Traded away the next season. No such issues during the playing careers with OJ, Thurman and 'Lil Joe' -the best, in order.

With apologies to the Goldman, Brown, and Thomas families, OJ Simpson may be one of the top 3 running backs in the 95 year history of the NFL. He's by far the best running back in Bills history. Thurman Thomas was a better all-around player, but that does not make him the best runner. The only player I'd pick over OJ would be Jim Brown. After OJ and Thurman, its a toss up between Cookie, Cribbs, Travis Henry, Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch, but those latter guys are like 10 steps below OJ and Thurman.

Since we're on this topic, it's kinda interesting that the Bills have had the best special teams player (and future HOFer) Tasker, the best DE ever in Bruuuce (Deacon Jones and Reggie White are behind Bruce in my eyes), one of the best RBs ever in OJ? That's pretty good considering we're a sub .500 team over 55 years.