next years cap

How high is the cap projected to be next year. With Glenn, Gilmore, Nigel, Dareus, is it realistic to keep them all? Or who are potential future cap casualties. Know we need to sign these guys is one reason why I do not like the McCoy deal.

How high is the cap projected to be next year. With Glenn, Gilmore, Nigel, Dareus, is it realistic to keep them all? Or who are potential future cap casualties. Know we need to sign these guys is one reason why I do not like the McCoy deal.

i feel like i just read "i dont actually know whats going on and thats the reason i dont like the choice made by people that do"

projections of next years cap have gone as high as $160m. The new tv contracts are in effect now, and it will be the first year that accounts for that large bump in revenue for the calculation.

Probably another $10M or so...figure around $150M.

Right now, according to Spotrac, Buffalo has 46 players under contract for 2016 for a total of $125M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2016/

Now, if we assume another $10M of that will be consumed with draft picks in their 2nd year and dead money, that leaves Buffalo with approximately 51 players under contract at $135M, so about $15M in cap space. They'll need a full compliment of $5M to sign draft picks, so figure we'll have about $10M to spend in FA.

Prime candidates to be released include McKelvin (saves $3.9M), Chris Williams (saves $1.9M--I'm assuming if they upgrade at guard this year they'll IR Williams with a stubbed toe or something to save the cap money), Manny Lawson (saves $2.65M), and Kraig Urbik (saves $1.5M).

They can also create about $10M more in cap space by signing Mario to a new deal. I won't get too deep into the numbers here, but something like 4 years, $64M with $30M gtd would keep him happy as a Bill until he retires.

If they did all of the above, they'd add close to $20M in cap space.

Probably enough to keep all of the guys you mentioned, but would certainly be kicking the can down the road unless they manage to structure the contracts so that they use guaranteed roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses.

Right now, according to Spotrac, Buffalo has 46 players under contract for 2016 for a total of $125M.

Now, if we assume another $10M of that will be consumed with draft picks in their 2nd year and dead money, that leaves Buffalo with approximately 51 players under contract at $135M, so about $15M in cap space. They'll need a full compliment of $5M to sign draft picks, so figure we'll have about $10M to spend in FA.

Prime candidates to be released include McKelvin (saves $3.9M), Chris Williams (saves $1.9M--I'm assuming if they upgrade at guard this year they'll IR Williams with a stubbed toe or something to save the cap money), Manny Lawson (saves $2.65M), and Kraig Urbik (saves $1.5M).

They can also create about $10M more in cap space by signing Mario to a new deal. I won't get too deep into the numbers here, but something like 4 years, $64M with $30M gtd would keep him happy as a Bill until he retires.

Probably enough to keep all of the guys you mentioned, but would certainly be kicking the can down the road unless they manage to structure the contracts so that they use guaranteed roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses.

They will also likely restructure Clay's roster bonus to a signing bonus which will free up at least $5 million more...

We have cap wizards, they have already planned for all of this...plus with the new TV deals the cap is going up way more than $7 million...cap will be closer to $160 million than $150 million more than likely...

They have plenty of options, they have already said they will be picking up Gilmore's 5th year option of around 11 million...so he isn't going anywhere...Bradham is having an extension worked on, that leaves them with Dareus and Glenn to get worked out next year...

The Bills did pick up Gilmore's 2016 option so they won't have to extend him next off-season. The Bills also have Bradham in to work out an extension. So assuming they get Bradham done they will have Dareus and Glenn to work on and the Bills can franchise one of the those players. Between Glenn and Dareus it's clear that they would choose Dareus. My hope is that after they get Bradham done they work on Dareus over the summer. By getting those two done they can basically use this season to gauge Glenn's worth and have the franchise or transition tag to retain him.

As far as cap space there appears to be a decent amount next season for the team even with 3 substantial extensions. With the cap going up, some dead money coming off, some cuts to possible players like Chris Williams, Lawson, and McKelvin (If he under preforms although I think he has a good season considering how well he played under Pettine and how well he did before his injury last season), and the team can restructure Mario's and Clay's contracts. Between all 4 factors that all makes for enough space to keep our players and be some what active in free agency next season.

Only issue is will the team have a viable QB option this time next year? They do have their first round pick so they could always go the rookie route but they likely won't have the ability to sign a big QB contract without letting Dareus and Glenn walk.

Edited by billsfan89

Considering that one can, and often does, structure new big contracts to have a lower cap hit in the first year(see Hughes, McCoy and Clay contracts), fitting all of our prime 2016 FAs under the cap will not be difficult at all.

Picking up Gilmore's 5th year option made things a little tighter as his 2016 cap hit is now $11M rather than a possible $6-8M had we signed him to a large multi year deal. Franchising a player will also have a similar immediate negative cap result.

2017 and 2018 are really the years to look at to see if we might get into cap trouble.

Good stuff bro'! But if they were to hold the Lombardi trophy this year or next, they could kick ME down the road and cut all theie players and resign all the living players from their 1968 1-13 team.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY