How does a D cover this offense?

scribo

All this talk of the Bills having the best skilled position players in the NFL. Isn't QB part of said skilled position players? If so, you can add all the WR's, RB's & TE's you want, but until you have an above average QB, there is no way I'd say the Bills have the best "skilled" players in the NFL.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of the Bills having the best skilled position players in the NFL. Isn't QB part of said skilled position players? If so, you can add all the WR's, RB's & TE's you want, but until you have an above average QB, there is no way I'd say the Bills have the best "skilled" players in the NFL.

Usually in football parlance, the QB is the QB. The " skill position" players are the ones that take handoffs, carry, and catch the ball from said QB.

last year we might have been a good percentage better with an O line that could get out of it's own way. With a mediocre QB even.

This year we have some top notch coaches. and some more experienced players together on offense.

not everyone is so lucky to have the Franchise QB and Rex realizes that

Interesting takes. We brought in a OL coach with proven experience and I am reasonably confident that with Ryan's philosophy we will have a reasonably good OL that will enable our offensive plan to be executed with some precision. That offensive plan is what Ryan described as a punishing run game that sets up a quick strike passing game that stretches defences with capable receivers and good TE play. Reminds me somewhat of the 49ers when they went to the superbowl a few seasons ago and the NFC championships 2 seasons ago. All this is speculation though if we do not get vastly improved OL play.

Edited by Profitspro

Good little article. Thanks for that. I fully expect Roman to play the mad scientist role. Rex likes to mix it up, too. It should be fun.

But I thought all teams have to do is put 8 in the box, blitz every play and ignore the WRs? Is this no longer the case?? Unpossible.

Agreed! I think this team will shock the entire league. Adequate enough at QB and a very solid defense with skilled offensive weapons, this team is a sleeper that will take many teams by suprise IMO.

I would love to believe we are going to shock the entire league. But if we do, it will be because of our defense and not because our offense is some sort of mesmerizing, record setting scoring machine that absolutely can not, will not, be stopped. I don't know many examples of offenses that set the league on fire with an offensive line as shaky as ours and a quarterback with a 48-43 life time record. And given our 9-7 finish last year, I don't expect to be able to be sneaking up on anyone this year.

The post asked how it is this offense would be defended. Apparently, any answer other than "it can't" means you are a cloud of negativity ruining everyone's party.

But I thought all teams have to do is put 8 in the box, blitz every play and ignore the WRs? Is this no longer the case?? Unpossible.

sounds like a walk in the park for a DC, doesn't it? They can consider that week another bye week and just plan to blitz every play.

Interesting takes. We brought in a OL coach with proven experience and I am reasonably confident that with Ryan's philosophy we will have a reasonably good OL that will enable our offensive plan to be executed with some precision. That offensive plan is what Ryan described as a punishing run game that sets up a quick strike passing game that stretches defences with capable receivers and good TE play. Reminds me somewhat of the 49ers when they went to the superbowl a few seasons ago and the NFC championships 2 seasons ago. All this is speculation though if we do not get vastly improved OL play.

How dare you point out that the OL is a potential problem if they don't vastly improve? You are scaring the unicorns.

I would love to believe we are going to shock the entire league. But if we do, it will be because of our defense and not because our offense is some sort of mesmerizing, record setting scoring machine that absolutely can not, will not, be stopped. I don't know many examples of offenses that set the league on fire with an offensive line as shaky as ours and a quarterback with a 48-43 life time record. And given our 9-7 finish last year, I don't expect to be able to be sneaking up on anyone this year.

The post asked how it is this offense would be defended. Apparently, any answer other than "it can't" means you are a cloud of negativity ruining everyone's party.

i didn't take it that way at all. I thought the post literally asked how it would be defended, not rhetorically.

Not true at all, but there's a difference between a snide response like "until we have a QB it won't matter" and actually providing some insight.

How dare you point out that the OL is a potential problem if they don't vastly improve? You are scaring the unicorns.

Give it a rest. We all know the OL issues....most of us try to be optimistic in the off-season. Sorry if that offends you.

This is getting a little tired, isn't it? It's March, we don't have a first round pick. Our QBs are what they are, why not try to support them and look at it in a positive light until, I don't know, say we lose a game because of poor QB play. We have surrounded whoever it is with some significant weapons. Some of you guys act like these guys are Middle School Intramural QBs. They are still good enough to make the freaking NFL for heaven's sake. Last time I checked, that wasn't a very easy thing to do being that only 75 or so people in the entire world can say that at the moment.

Not to mention, we don't have tweedledee and tweedledum coaching the offense anymore. Can't you just try to be a happy Bills fan for a few months?

Because EJ didn't win us the Super Bowl in his first start. (massive snark here)

Get excited

We have a fan in Bucky Brooks

No surprise there.

Thanks for the link! That is indeed an exciting package. And Mr. Brooks has not always been positive about the Bills.

Really? I've always found Bucky to be an unabashed homer when it comes to the Bills. I mean, I know he didn't play here long, but he always struck me as loving this team. Then again, i haven't watched NFL Network in quite some time, so it's entirely possible that I've just missed what you're talking about.

If I am first on the bills Schedule. I pass Blitz very little. I sit back and let the QB make the mistakes. Neither Cassel nor Manuel have proved they can beat you by throwing. You have a spy on McCoy all game, and use run blitzes to try an over match the o-line to try and shut him down.

If you have to make the QB beat you, you are in good shape, until they can prove otherwise.