The Offensive Line: Better Than Advertised?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And couple that with our FA signings, our 'lack of quality QB" will be much better than advertised

I'm calling it now. This year the offensive line will be much improved. They will play very well and people will talk about what a big surprise it was. But it won't be a surprise to all of us. Watch and see.

I would agree. If the base offense is going to include Felton as a lead blocker I think that can only help the O-Line. Clay is an effective blocker as well so the defense must respect him when he APPEARS to stay in to block which should enable him to be effective on center screens...again, helps the o-line.

I really think this entire team was playing scared under Marrone. Players seemed to play like they were one mistake away from the waiver wire or remain healthy and inactive, even more embarrassing. There will be less reacting to the defense and more dictating their game plan.

Confidence is key and it seems like there is way more than there used to be.

We could still probably use a guard or two. Maybe a tackle as well. We'll see.

The rest of this is all very exciting though!

You can always improve...but I've always been of the opinion that if you can get three good linemen and two others that simply don't !@#$ up regularly (I'm looking at you, Colin Brown), and actually give them blocking schemes that aren't TFS (now I'm looking at you, St. Doug), you'll do okay. I think the Bills may be pretty much there right now, if the coaches aren't complete tools.

You can always improve...but I've always been of the opinion that if you can get three good linemen and two others that simply don't !@#$ up regularly (I'm looking at you, Colin Brown), and actually give them blocking schemes that aren't TFS (now I'm looking at you, St. Doug), you'll do okay. I think the Bills may be pretty much there right now, if the coaches aren't complete tools.

I hope so. They've got youth and some potential going for them I guess. I have a feeling we'll see an OL signing or two before it's all said and done.

Hopefully Kromer proves to be excellent at his job. Hopefully he's learned to keep his mouth shut too! :D

I agree. I think they'll probably be satisfied with Incognito and WIlliams at G, with Urbik there to step in if (when) Williams gets hurt. Seantrel will do fine. Draft a G in round 2 or 3, we should be set.

We ranked at the bottom last year and we added a mediocre guard.

I hope you're right but either henderson, richardson or kujo would have to really emerge and left guard spot still a big question mark.

There werent many holes last year, and protection was not very good either. Lot of room to improve

One thing I'd add is that the front office doesn't seem overly confident in the talent up front, as it stands. As we know, there were reports of them pursuing several FA offensive linemen early on. I doubt their losing out on those guys means they're satisfied with where they are now.

I agree. I think they'll probably be satisfied with Incognito and WIlliams at G, with Urbik there to step in if (when) Williams gets hurt. Seantrel will do fine. Draft a G in round 2 or 3, we should be set.

I would think they would go for a tackle. Not sure you can count on Henderson, he really wasn't very effective last season.

I would think they would go for a tackle. Not sure you can count on Henderson, he really wasn't very effective last season.

Maybe not, but he was a rookie and he wasn't a failure. I think he'll naturally show improvement from year 1 to year 2, plus I think we have some bonafide offensive line coaches here now. Plus there's still the chance that Kujo emerges.

But yeah, I think they probably grab a T as well.

Listened to the LaCharles Bentley interview with John Murphy and he basically said there is a big difference in an Oline coach and Oline teacher. He said Aaron Kromer is a teacher and because Kujo wasn't being taught his growth was stunted. Kinda make me wonder how good Seantrel and CR will be with a true teacher under their wings. Will Kromer help Cordy and Eric Wood improve their play. This season is going to be exciting. Can't wait for OTAs.

I think they'll probably be satisfied with Incognito and WIlliams at G, with Urbik there to step in if (when) Williams gets hurt. Seantrel will do fine.

This would be terrifying to me. But then again, I was the doom and gloom offensive line guy after last offseason (though on second thought, I guess I was sadly correct on that one). I'm looking for Williams to be cut, and a G and T added before the draft, where I hope we'll still go after a blue chip G prospect. Trenches are everything after QB.

This is the definition off off-season euphoria. People get caught up in some nice signings and now even the weakest part of the team will suddenly perform at a respectable level with little change.

While I do expect them to play better with blocking schemes more suited to their skills the OL talent is still nowhere near where it needs to be for a team with a shakey QB situation that is going to bave to repeatedly run the ball vs. 8 man fronts. Even if Henderson makes a giant leap forward this year (a big IF) this team still needs a quality G. If they go into this season with what they currently have they will struggle.

I'm calling it now. This year the offensive line will be much improved. They will play very well and people will talk about what a big surprise it was. But it won't be a surprise to all of us. Watch and see.

Listen, DMX. . .I knows your love your (redacted), but where are you (redacted)?

On a lighter note, I couldn't agree more with you! The OL will be surprising and it will improve QB play.

What we have is serviceable: Glenn, Incognito, Wood, Williams/Urbik, Henderson. If Henderson, and just one of Cyril and Kujo develop (and they do have potential), then it could be a very good line with these players. I would like to see a solid FA and a quality pick-up (starter?) in the draft, but even if we stand pat, there is potential here with the right coaching and schemes—which I'm more and more convinced we didn't have last year.

Super insightful post. Filled with great detail