Urbik takes 1.5 million dollar pay cut to stay with Bills

Big Turk

Urbik was poor last year. I maintain Chris Williams was the best guard we had last season before injury ended his season very early. However, Urbik had always been a solid right guard (not really sure how that makes as big a difference but there you are) and at the price I can get behind that and moving cutting Williams, dodgy back and all. However, I would still hope to see Urbik as the swing guy inside can play RG well and is just about passable at LG and C - lots of starting experience. I still would like a genuine upgrade a guard that isn't a guy that hasn't played football in 18 months.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Urbik was poor last year. I maintain Chris Williams was the best guard we had last season before injury ended his season very early. However, Urbik had always been a solid right guard (not really sure how that makes as big a difference but there you are) and at the price I can get behind that and moving cutting Williams, dodgy back and all. However, I would still hope to see Urbik as the swing guy inside can play RG well and is just about passable at LG and C - lots of starting experience. I still would like a genuine upgrade a guard that isn't a guy that hasn't played football in 18 months.

I'll say! He graded about as poorly as the rookie RT in pass blocking and was still horribly bad at run blocking as usual. From what I saw Williams struggled before ending on IR, and he was the best Bills OG last year. If this is the best the Bills FO can do even as a back up then they are still in very bad shape on that line. There is a real reason as to why the Bills offered more money then Green Bay did to Bryan Bulaga.

While I wholeheartedly agree that coaching can make a huge difference in certain situations. What it can't do is overcome bad talent, or lack thereof. You guys need to remember why Pears, Urbik looked average, and somewhat competent in Chan Gaileys offense. It was mostly because it was predicated on Fitz getting the ball out to the open receiver (usually Stevie) in 2 seconds. They also ran from shotgun spread formations. When the team needed a first and short they always threw because Gailey was smart enough to know who, and what he had on that line.

Think back to that 2012 San Francisco game 3-45 loss, and how poorly the entire Bills offense was in that game against a good 49er team. The Seahawks beat them 17-50 that year too. They couldn't run, they couldn't pass. A bad Atlanta, and Tampa Bay team beat them in 2013. Last year while vying for a playoff spot they crap the bed against a 2-12 team. There was a reason the Bills O line was the weakest area of the team, and graded 30th overall, last in run blocking.

If this team ever wants to actually compete for a playoff berth they need to rid themselves of near worthless players, and bring in quality talent. A top FA OG, and keep Richardson as backup to develop. The Bills currently have eight OG's on the roster, and I'm hoping that both Williams, and Urbik are gone by the time preseason starts. If a scrub like Antonio Smith can make big plays against #60. Then I hate to think of what Suh will do.

Its time to move on from the waiver wire scrubs Buddy Nix acquired, and obtain some quality talent! Understand this...you can't build an offensive run first, power run attack with a player who can't run block to save his life.

I'll say! He graded about as poorly as the rookie RT in pass blocking and was still horribly bad at run blocking as usual. From what I saw Williams struggled before ending on IR, and he was the best Bills OG last year. If this is the best the Bills FO can do even as a back up then they are still in very bad shape on that line. There is a real reason as to why the Bills offered more money then Green Bay did to Bryan Bulaga.

While I wholeheartedly agree that coaching can make a huge difference in certain situations. What it can't do is overcome bad talent, or lack thereof. You guys need to remember why Pears, Urbik looked average, and somewhat competent in Chan Gaileys offense. It was mostly because it was predicated on Fitz getting the ball out to the open receiver (usually Stevie) in 2 seconds. They also ran from shotgun spread formations. When the team needed a first and short they always threw because Gailey was smart enough to know who, and what he had on that line.

Think back to that 2012 San Francisco game 3-45 loss, and how poorly the entire Bills offense was in that game against a good 49er team. The Seahawks beat them 17-50 that year too. They couldn't run, they couldn't pass. A bad Atlanta, and Tampa Bay team beat them in 2013. Last year while vying for a playoff spot they crap the bed against a 2-12 team. There was a reason the Bills O line was the weakest area of the team, and graded 30th overall, last in run blocking.

If this team ever wants to actually compete for a playoff berth they need to rid themselves of near worthless players, and bring in quality talent. A top FA OG, and keep Richardson as backup to develop. The Bills currently have eight OG's on the roster, and I'm hoping that both Williams, and Urbik are gone by the time preseason starts. If a scrub like Antonio Smith can make big plays against #60. Then I hate to think of what Suh will do.

Its time to move on from the waiver wire scrubs Buddy Nix acquired, and obtain some quality talent! Understand this...you can't build an offensive run first, power run attack with a player who can't run block to save his life.

I agree with most of that - I still want to see a proper guard brought in - but you gonna have to keep one of the two vets (Williams or Urbik) as depth in case you see nothing from Richardson during the offseason to suggest he has progressed in which case I'd rather we kept a guy but didn't give him much coin.... which is what the FO is doing.

A player taking a paycut to stay in Buffalo? A new era indeed....

It truly is a era! this off season at least shows Pegula's mean business and WANT to win and r willing to open check book to do so.

Playing in Buffalo is no longer getting shipped to "Siberia"!

I think that Urbik is better than he showed last season and he's still the only other player on the roster that can play center besides Wood so I think it's a good move to keep him. I'm actually surprised that he doesn't think he can get more money elsewhere. Maybe he just really likes Rex.

Edited by vincec

I think that Urbik is better than he showed last season and he's still the only other player on the roster that can play center besides Wood so I think it's a good move to keep him. I'm actually surprised that he doesn't think he can get more money elsewhere. Maybe he just really likes Rex.

I have read through these posts today and i really have to agree with this one.

personally i am glad he is on the team still. smart move on the BIlls to try to keep him.

but i am glad especially he was willing to make the deal to stay.

Maybe he is a little bit excited about the new season and coaches etc?

I wonder if the Bills went to Urbik and Williams and told them who ever gives us the best offer first, we'll go with, the other one, no promises as to what happens??

Urbik wont mind being Bu. Williams may not survive camp

Edited by 3rdand12

How can someone be an average starter but solid backup? So he's good when he's not playing but once he has to play he becomes average?

His game has holes so he's average if he were to be expected to start all 16 so he's a backup. As a backup, he's holes are fewer than some backups we've seen, so we'd hope he could be serviceable, if he had to play a few games.

He should get nothing but praise and a GIANT ATTABOY. i know it was more likely self preservation rather than loyalty but it's nice to dream of a day when playing for a team means something. Kinda like being a unconditional bills fan.

I agree. I think the change in blocking scheme and coaching staff might help too. I wonder if he is better suited to be a "power run" blocker rather than in a zone blocking scheme.

This move makes me happier than the more spashy signings, except for Hughes'. I'm with Marv: build through the draft and keep your own people. I would have kept Stevie, Kiko, Chandler and Spiller, although I like the offer sheet to Clay: had to upgrade there. I happen to think building the OL is a higher priority than a flashy back, so I'm less pleased with selling out for Shady. (Not sure what happened with Hairston.) Watkins, Shady, Clay...they will all be pedestrian without a strong OL, and we have the same squad as last year--and the year before, really, since Henderson, Richardson and Williams all look like busts and Incognito may or may not pan out.

I know what the apologists say every time: "They tried! They really tried!" Keep it to yourself. Give me results. Urbick has been much maligned, but he's a baller, which you can't say for Henderon, et al. Whaley is lucky Urbick didn't tell him to stuff his pay cut. They'll need him next year, maybe a lot more than the other signings.

This move makes me happier than the more spashy signings, except for Hughes'. I'm with Marv: build through the draft and keep your own people. I would have kept Stevie, Kiko, Chandler and Spiller, although I like the offer sheet to Clay: had to upgrade there. I happen to think building the OL is a higher priority than a flashy back, so I'm less pleased with selling out for Shady. (Not sure what happened with Hairston.) Watkins, Shady, Clay...they will all be pedestrian without a strong OL, and we have the same squad as last year--and the year before, really, since Henderson, Richardson and Williams all look like busts and Incognito may or may not pan out.

I know what the apologists say every time: "They tried! They really tried!" Keep it to yourself. Give me results. Urbick has been much maligned, but he's a baller, which you can't say for Henderon, et al. Whaley is lucky Urbick didn't tell him to stuff his pay cut. They'll need him next year, maybe a lot more than the other signings.

at least 60-70% of the problem with the OLine last year was coaching. Not being able to pick up simple stunts repeatedly game after game is coaching. Kromer will make a bigger diffence via coaching than virtually any player they could bring in, mark my words.

I wonder if the Bills went to Urbik and Williams and told them who ever gives us the best offer first, we'll go with, the other one, no promises as to what happens??

I'd say his decision makes Williams a prime June 1st cut.

Something just didn't add up with the offensive line under Marrone. Once Urbik went into the lineup last year, they had 4 of the 5 guys that comprised the final Chan Gailey line (Glenn, Urbik, Wood, Pears) though Pears and Urbik were in different positions. With 80% of the same personnel, and presumably Wood in the prime of his career and Glenn on the rise, it is hard to believe that the play dropped off that much.

Even if Urbik ends up starting again I am mildly optimistic that they will be better. I'm looking for Wood to return to form, Glenn's career to pick back up where he left off in 2012-13, Henderson to utilize his athletic talents and make a big step forward this year, Incognito to be a good citizen and be decent, and then have them figure out the 5th spot. You can't have stars at every position and if they have to plug one of the guard spots so be it.

It is blocking scheme and coaching. The coach who left for San Diego taking two of the linemen he developed is Joe D'Alessandris. He is a very well respected coach.