Thoughts outside the box: Move Hogan to CB

There is 0% this will happen, but I would find the games a lot more interesting if more players played on both sides of the ball when available - Look at Watt. I know he is a rare breed, but there has to be other situations... Imagine lining up Mario as a fullback on the goal line?

What about a backfield of mobile QB's. Vick, Edelman, McNabb, in their respective primes. No one knows whos going to end up throwing the ball. Madness!

Edited by PortlandiaEast

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im a new poster. would just read comments daily on here for YEARS but decided to join the ranks and speak my mind too. i remember when chris hogan was considered a long-running joke to many of you. which i found funny as he always seemed a baller in preseason. this past season, when given the opportunity, the kid excelled. hes got a good head on his shoulders and has amazing athletic ability. i would cross-train a few different players from O to D and vice versa. maybe just see who volunteers to be crossed trained into a different unit, and that player has to put in even more time, and sit in on postiional meetings and such. george wilson is a great example of it.

Here are hogans pro day numbers compared to Woods. Bigger, stronger , faster, more agile.

Hogan pro day numbers

6’1” - 221
40 – 4.50
Bench Reps @ 225lbs – 28
Vertical – 36.5
Broad jump – 126” (10’06”)
3 cone – 6.75
20 yard shuttle – 4.15

Woods Combine numbers:
6’0” - 201
40 – 4.51
Bench Reps @ 225lbs – 14
Vertical – 33.5
Broad jump – 117” (9’9”)
3 cone – 7.15
20 yard shuttle – 4.47

28 benchpress reps? that must be elite numbers for wr's, no?

im a new poster. would just read comments daily on here for YEARS but decided to join the ranks and speak my mind too. i remember when chris hogan was considered a long-running joke to many of you. which i found funny as he always seemed a baller in preseason. this past season, when given the opportunity, the kid excelled. hes got a good head on his shoulders and has amazing athletic ability. i would cross-train a few different players from O to D and vice versa. maybe just see who volunteers to be crossed trained into a different unit, and that player has to put in even more time, and sit in on postiional meetings and such. george wilson is a great example of it.

No doubt...Hogan is a beast. We are jam packed at WR. He could be a physical presence as CB. IMO

Chris Hogan is sneaky fast, good footwork, above average vertical leap, has shifty hips and has the ability to go up and get the ball. His agility and knack for finding the ball in a crowd is uncanny.

With that said, we are wasting his talents as a WR. In the mold of the Seahawks and now the Jets we need a tall kid at CB and one who isn't afraid to turn, extend and deflect/catch the ball.

There is no reason why a talented kid like Hogan should be relegated to 4th WR. He can serve a purpose and that position is CB. Trust me...I know.

I just cant argue against this style of thinking.^

no reason whatsoever he cant play both sides of the ball and some special teams still too.

Kids a gamer for sure

4.39 40... that's a lie. If he runs a 4.39 forty, why is that video 22 seconds long? #whitelightningmyth

check mate

Just cut him. Some of you people get way to attached to these players (see Fred Jackson).

They could care less about the fans. Just cut Hogan and move on.

I too think its an either or proposition.

Get it right or move on.

great post !

He's taller and faster than Kurt Schulz...why waste his talents at safety until he loses a step. The kid could be a premiere CB...either starting or, at least nickel.

I know Leodis has a tough time finding the ball in midair...but damn, I think he could score points given his field vision. Also, when you take the pressure off of him to cover a WR and make Leodis a wide out he will blossom.

Bubble screens

very good post indeed.

Welcome to the board. We need more posters like you! :thumbsup:

This is HS football, Players rarely switch positions, and when they do most likely they fail. A TE can maybe switch to a T. A great College QB can switch to a Rec. But the Game is so advanced now, players need to acquire skills and master them.

There is 0% this will happen, but I would find the games a lot more interesting if more players played on both sides of the ball when available - Look at Watt. I know he is a rare breed, but there has to be other situations... Imagine lining up Mario as a fullback on the goal line?

What about a backfield of mobile QB's. Vick, Edelman, McNabb, in their respective primes. No one knows whos going to end up throwing the ball. Madness!

I don't understand this at all... What advantage would it be at all if they didn't know who would throw the ball, as long as they knew it were going to be thrown?

Now that I think about, I've always been for Chris Hogan at CB.

I'm thinking of calling in to WGR to bring this point up...Rex is a master of unique formations and uses talent effectively. Hogan stands out as the exact type of player he would want on the outside.

I'm thinking of calling in to WGR to bring this point up...Rex is a master of unique formations and uses talent effectively. Hogan stands out as the exact type of player he would want on the outside.

Those idiots are probably talking about hockey right now in the middle of hockey season in one of the biggest hockey markets in the United States. What a bunch of jerks.

I took a look at that link...you said no such thing.

Agreed. It pretty much says the opposite. MAYBE you could read into that that TRBJ was proposing Hogan try safety. But I am seeing no mention of CB there.

No, I started out suggesting that he go to safety to replace Byrd. However, if you go to the third page, I definitely said QB. So maybe I wasn't ALWAYS for it, but I was for it before Fergy was for it.

No, I started out suggesting that he go to safety to replace Byrd. However, if you go to the third page, I definitely said QB. So maybe I wasn't ALWAYS for it, but I was for it before Fergy was for it.

If you felt so strongly about it, make your thoughts known in clear, precise language. That link provides absolutely no support for your argument...face it, you're green with envy.

If you felt so strongly about it, make your thoughts known in clear, precise language. That link provides absolutely no support for your argument...face it, you're green with envy.

I'll admit, I edited some things, but still. The idea of Hogan going to the secondary, was a stance that I always had.

I'd have no problems with Chris Hogan working out with DBs in camp as well as WRs. As a 4th WR he might not get a lot of time on field and in crisis or special situation he might be inserted into the field as a DB. It also may help learn to beat coverage. He definitely has ball skills.

I'd have no problems with Chris Hogan working out with DBs in camp as well as WRs. As a 4th WR he might not get a lot of time on field and in crisis or special situation he might be inserted into the field as a DB. It also may help learn to beat coverage. He definitely has ball skills.

He already has ball skills and can break coverage ("he's always open")...so he knows all the tricks. There isn't a WR out there that could beat Hogan one on one because he is cut from the very cloth he covers. That's the gold at the bottom of the glory hole I was referring to.

He already has ball skills and can break coverage ("he's always open")...

Wait just a minute. Break coverage, or just break the law? Was Hogan really "always open," or did he just steal Da'Rick Rogers' identity during training camp? Maybe we should trade Hogan to New England and re-sign Da'Rick to play corner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/nyregion/us-seizes-14-7-eleven-stores-in-immigration-raids.html?_r=0

More than a dozen 7-Eleven franchises took in more than $180 million in revenue by running a “modern-day plantation system,” prosecutors in New York charged on Monday, built on the unpaid labor of dozens of illegal immigrants hired using sham Social Security numbers.

Through the scheme, the defendants, who as franchisees for the parent company were licensed to use 7-Eleven buildings, trademarks and Slurpee and hot dog machines, recruited more than 50 illegal immigrants and gave them identities stolen from American citizens, including children and dead people.

“From their 7-Eleven stores the defendants dispensed wire fraud and identity theft, along with Slurpees and hot dogs,” Ms. Lynch said. “In bedroom communities across Long Island and Virginia, the defendants not only systematically employed illegal immigrants but concealed their crimes by raiding the cradle and grave to steal the identify of children and even the dead.” . . .
Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Wait just a minute. Break coverage, or just break the law? Was Hogan really "always open," or did he just steal Da'Rick Rogers' identity during training camp? Maybe we should trade Hogan to New England and re-sign Da'Rick to play corner.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/nyregion/us-seizes-14-7-eleven-stores-in-immigration-raids.html?_r=0

Heyyyyyyy, I agree with the other guy's thread...we need some bad boys on this team. If he stole some identities, so be it.

He already has ball skills and can break coverage ("he's always open")...so he knows all the tricks. There isn't a WR out there that could beat Hogan one on one because he is cut from the very cloth he covers. That's the gold at the bottom of the glory hole I was referring to.

Really. Like I said before , He is too STIFF. Stiff hips. I thought Glass and him would get cut anyway.

Funny...people seem to think Hogan is the next Wes Welker, or a completely useless piece of garbage, around here. Which is it?

Everyone thought Bill Gates was a dumbass...until he closed his garage door and tried something different. Hogan to CB is a natural fit.

Really. Like I said before , He is too STIFF. Stiff hips. I thought Glass and him would get cut anyway.

Are you suggesting shifting glass goodwin to corner too? Interesting.

Get goodwin and hogan on the outside as corners, shift mckelvin to more of a nickel, and then we can let Gilmore walk instead of paying him big bucks in free agency.

I could get on board with that.

Get goodwin and hogan on the outside as corners, shift mckelvin to more of a nickel, and then we can let Gilmore walk instead of paying him big bucks in free agency.

You never let Gilmore walk...we learned that with Byrd. Trade Gilmore is another story. It seems to be the "in" thing to do. The Hoodie trades players at their prime and obtains max trade value.

Like you said, Robey, McKelvin and Hogan as starting CB's...Graham can come in as well. Pick another one up in draft or UDFA...Gilmore for Andy Dalton = See youz at Superbowl 50

You never let Gilmore walk...we learned that with Byrd. Trade Gilmore is another story. It seems to be the "in" thing to do. The Hoodie trades players at their prime and obtains max trade value.

Like you said, Robey, McKelvin and Hogan as starting CB's...Graham can come in as well. Pick another one up in draft or UDFA...Gilmore for Andy Dalton = See youz at Superbowl 50

Good thought. I am not sure Gilmore for Dalton would be fair. Instead, I would trade Gilmore to Tenn to move up and get Mariotta. Then, trade EJ for an extra 2nd, use our 2 second-rounders to trade up, and grab the top-rated guard or tackle.

Then, we shift Glass and Hogan to corner (as you, TRBJ, and Buffaloed in PA have all suggested). So, our starting DB's would look like this:

CB1: Hogan

CB2: Glass

Nickel: Robey/McKelvin (note: would you trade McKelvin too for a draft pick? 4th rounder?)

Dime: Graham

I am LOVING this on paper.

No, the kid is coming into his own as a slot WR. Runs great routes and has awesome hands. Depth at WR is a luxury.

except when he drops the ball, which happened a number of times last year.

Can't wait for training camp, then hopefully these ridiculous threads with equally ridiculous comments might go away for a while. If this was a sarcastic post , I apologize. I mean, I hope this was a sarcastic post.

except when he drops the ball, which happened a number of times last year.

Can't wait for training camp, then hopefully these ridiculous threads with equally ridiculous comments might go away for a while. If this was a sarcastic post , I apologize. I mean, I hope this was a sarcastic post.

I'll say it again...watch the last three minutes of the Minnesota game and tell me how Hogan did not fight, claw and sacrifice his body (horizontally) to make the catch. Then...close your eyes and picture him doing that as a CB with a good 3" on most WR's in the league. We're talking numbers here and with the arrival of Harvin, Hogan is a waste at WR. He could easily convert so why not maximize his talents at CB and take advantage of the demand for CB's by exploring the Gilmore angle as well.

I'll say it again...watch the last three minutes of the Minnesota game and tell me how Hogan did not fight, claw and sacrifice his body (horizontally) to make the catch. Then...close your eyes and picture him doing that as a CB with a good 3" on most WR's in the league. We're talking numbers here and with the arrival of Harvin, Hogan is a waste at WR. He could easily convert so why not maximize his talents at CB and take advantage of the demand for CB's by exploring the Gilmore angle as well.

every WR probably has made a tough catch or 2 in their careers, doesn't mean they could be a successful CB. Maybe he could do it, but he's not even that good of a WR, you make it sound too simple to convert from WR to CB, it's not like it happens all the time. It took Gilmore a couple years to become the solid CB we hoped for , you're expecting Hogan to be good enough without a couple year learning curve? For some reason people find certain players they become infatuated with and can't come to grips with the fact that they might not be as good as they want him to be. Hogan might be one of those.

Why are you doing this? You sound ridiculous. No WR out there....? Just to stay local there's no way he could cover Sammy..then bring in Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson and Dez Bryant...

Chris Hogan is sneaky fast, good footwork, above average vertical leap, has shifty hips and has the ability to go up and get the ball. His agility and knack for finding the ball in a crowd is uncanny.

With that said, we are wasting his talents as a WR. In the mold of the Seahawks and now the Jets we need a tall kid at CB and one who isn't afraid to turn, extend and deflect/catch the ball.

There is no reason why a talented kid like Hogan should be relegated to 4th WR. He can serve a purpose and that position is CB. Trust me...I know.

That might be a good way to get him out in space.