Details of Suh contract/how to structure Clay offer?

@AlbertBreer: Here's the full Ndamukong Suh contract ... http://t.co/LxQpXCSlgr

So what does our offer look like for Clay

@jchenelly: Initial reports out of Miami are that the #Dolphins only have to take a cap hit of about $6M for 2015 for @NdamukongSuh. Unbelievably low.

then how do we get Clay? And why did we release Chandler? Did we just get played by Miami?

@AlbertBreer: Here's the full Ndamukong Suh contract ... http://t.co/LxQpXCSlgr

So what does our offer look like for Clay

@jchenelly: Initial reports out of Miami are that the #Dolphins only have to take a cap hit of about $6M for 2015 for @NdamukongSuh. Unbelievably low.

$6 mil cap hit in '15, $28 mil cap hit in '16. They are eating $7mil of Clay right now. I would structure Clay's contract to hit the Bills cap at $9 mil this year, forcing fish to reduce at least another $2 mil, and make sure it's painful for them next year too, so if they match Clay, they can have two guys (not QBs) taking up over $35 mil of cap space in '16

$6 mil cap hit in '15, $28 mil cap hit in '16. They are eating $7mil of Clay right now. I would structure Clay's contract to hit the Bills cap at $9 mil this year, forcing fish to reduce at least another $2 mil, and make sure it's painful for them next year too, so if they match Clay, they can have two guys (not QBs) taking up over $35 mil of cap space in '16

Yes, make it painful for them. I also think that they have to make a decision about Tannehill in the next year. They have some very tough decisions to make.

At the very least, force them to cut another player in order to keep Clay.

Yes, make it painful for them. I also think that they have to make a decision about Tannehill in the next year. They have some very tough decisions to make.

At the very least, force them to cut another player in order to keep Clay.

I think that's the reason to cut Chandler to have Clay take up $9 mil of cap space this year and roll the dice with Gray & Gragg as backups (perhaps a draftee too)

Plus fish have Tannehill contract coming up, will need to sign in 2016?

according to the Suh deal they will redo Tannehill this yr with whatever is left from Clay then give him the rest in yr 3. They are taking a huge cap hit next yr

This is the reason they waited, obviously. We could restructure some more money and guarantee the cap hit at 13-15m or so. Just give it to him in salary instead of bonus that is amortized like they did. Daddy Warbucks doesnt care about cash, and we would make it up in years down the road when he is cheap.

According to Spotrac, after the Suh deal they have only $2.64M in cap space left(rookies already figured....plus $7M alocated for Clay). They needed to make his year 1 hit so small just to fit him in the cap.

There should be no problems stealing Clay away from them IMO......they can't spend their entire remainderon Clay.

Edited by Dibs

According to Spotrac, after the Suh deal they have only $2.64M in cap space left(rookies already figured). They needed to make his year 1 hit so small just to fit him in the cap.

There should be no problems stealing Clay away from them IMO.

Was trying to figure there cap out if that's the case they could restructure someone and be very close

According to Spotrac, after the Suh deal they have only $2.64M in cap space left(rookies already figured....plus $7M alocated for Clay). They needed to make his year 1 hit so small just to fit him in the cap.

There should be no problems stealing Clay away from them IMO......they can't spend their entire remainderon Clay.

We still have to make the cap hit huge. They are going to cut Ellerbe and restructure Wallace and maybe some other stuff. We will be able to mess with them so much though that it probably won't be worth it. But they can probably get to 9m or so fairly easily.

Suh has a base contract of $23.5M in year two. The Dolphins are getting him ridiculously low this year, but if the Bills front load a multi-year deal, maybe $8.5/year with a good chunk guaranteed for two years, and then maybe 2-5M for three years would work out well down the pipe. Clay is pretty young, so if the FO is sure about him...

Same thing they did with Wallace/ellerbe/etc that year. Year one was silly cheap but two ballooned to a crazy number... Still zero concern here.... To the guy asking if we got played by Miami: Obviously suh would be cheap year 1- they had no choice.

We still have to make the cap hit huge. They are going to cut Ellerbe and restructure Wallace and maybe some other stuff. We will be able to mess with them so much though that it probably won't be worth it. But they can probably get to 9m or so fairly easily.

The issue is I don't think they want to get that high, even if they can. Restructuring Wallace pushes money into next year, they still have tannehill that will require a real hit either this or next (heck, it's hard to push money unless they are tying to him long term and even that's no complaint from me- he's good but not intimidating).... Miami pretty much made their choice on clay once suh was handed a pen. It'd be very surprising if they kept him

If we were going to spend this much on a TE then why not get Julius Thomas?

Because it won't likely be a 9m a year contract. It'll go 9, 9, 7, 5, 5 for instance giving him the 7m average but he signs with us over Miami to get up front money and guarantees

The issue is I don't think they want to get that high, even if they can. Restructuring Wallace pushes money into next year, they still have tannehill that will require a real hit either this or next (heck, it's hard to push money unless they are tying to him long term and even that's no complaint from me- he's good but not intimidating).... Miami pretty much made their choice on clay once suh was handed a pen. It'd be very surprising if they kept him

I hope you're right. I'm pretty sure the Bills know what they are doing. But Miami is going to try to keep him. They're trying to restructure Wallace now. I understand they are pushing money to next year when Suh's hit is huge, and it's risky. I also think they would try to rip up Clay's contract after a year and then pay him a bonus instead of salary which would kill them. And you're right about Tannehill. I hope the Bills just bury them though. We need Clay.

I think chandler is released now to make cap room but buffalo could still resign him. I'm unsure what his dead cap space is compared to the cap hit.

Cutting Chandler freed up $2.25M in cap room.

Same thing they did with Wallace/ellerbe/etc that year. Year one was silly cheap but two ballooned to a crazy number... Still zero concern here.... To the guy asking if we got played by Miami: Obviously suh would be cheap year 1- they had no choice.

Yup, the key is to front load the cap in '15-'16, which would give them zero maneuverability. Ideally they could try to squeeze Clay in, but it would be foolish roster management.

Spotrac shows them with 7 million in cap space. With the 7 million they have tied into clay right now, and if they plan to cut Ellerbe, then we need to make year two painful as all hell, not year one. No way we out cap them this year

Is that with rookies?

Spotrac shows them with 7 million in cap space. With the 7 million they have tied into clay right now, and if they plan to cut Ellerbe, then we need to make year two painful as all hell, not year one. No way we out cap them this year

Is that with rookies?

no. takes it down to about 2.5m in space.

All they'd have to do is turn any year two bonus/salary into signing bonus next year and its a breeze. You kill them this year, or you kill them with total dollars/guarantees. Pushing money out of year two couldn't be simpler for them (and preferred, it seems)

All they'd have to do is turn any year two bonus/salary into signing bonus next year and its a breeze. You kill them this year, or you kill them with total dollars/guarantees. Pushing money out of year two couldn't be simpler for them (and preferred, it seems)

I know poison pills are no longer allowed but I wonder if a team is able to state in the contract that, say, the first two years cannot be renegotiated in any way by either side.

You are assuming he'd say yes to a restructure next year, which is not an automatic. Restructure keeps you around but if he has a good year he'd force their hand and take free agency. This is a tricky situation, bills need to make their offer now, longer they wait the more other free agents get chomped up and they can't afford that if they don't get him.

I know poison pills are no longer allowed but I wonder if a team is able to state in the contract that, say, the first two years cannot be renegotiated in any way by either side.

I doubt it or you'd see those clauses somewhere.

The only thing that comes to mind is a signing bonus and structuring it as a two year deal that triggers to an option of years 3 through whatever easily. The bonus would only amortize over two years initially which would hurt them next year but lessen pain this year.

Really, I'm still not concerned- if they want to be the tannehill, suh, Wallace and clay show the next few years? Awesome.

It would be a shame to miss out on him but not crippling. He's a good player but not unbelievable.