TE Lee Smith on his way out

Rubes

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a game in recent years where Lee Smith caught a pass (!) and Chandler was blocking his guy, clearing a path for Smith to make a cut and extend the play. Chandler later asked Smith why he did not make that cut, since Chandler had his guy blocked.

Smith's answer: I don't cut.

Gee, why all the snark? Smith did a good job as a blocker, which is why he was on the team. He wasn't a receiving threat, but his name was easier to spell than Remeersma or Metzelaars (both of which I had to guess at).

Legit point

Gee, why all the snark? Smith did a good job as a blocker, which is why he was on the team. He wasn't a receiving threat, but his name was easier to spell than Remeersma or Metzelaars (both of which I had to guess at).

+1 he did his job well. He is a blocker, no pretense of being a receiving threat.

I'm pretty sure Hackett ran a slip screen to him once. With Watkins blocking.

He definitely did and as expected he was "tackled well short of the first down and we'll see the punt team come on once again for Buffalo"

he should definitely be a viking... I mean look at him

Edited by SJDK

I'll admit I didn't watch all-22 video this past season, but the season before I found his blocking to be well above average. Perhaps it says more about my evaluation than anything, but it appeared to me that he was a more powerful blocker and did a better job picking up his blocking assignments than most of the TEs I watched.

I don't think he's a mess blocking but if you pick players with comparable receiving skills (ie lineman) he's flat out bad. If compared to dynamic pass catchers he's pretty good (but I don't think elite).

Legit point

He was good for a killer holding at least every other game it seemed. Particularly against New England.

+1 he did his job well. He is a blocker, no pretense of being a receiving threat.

Then put another flipping tackle on the field and block. Christ if you're going to put a TE on the field at all the point of the POSITION is that it's a man who can block AND be a receiving threat.

I totally agree. I could never see why he was on the field. I went to the Bills-Cardinals game a few years ago in Glendale, AZ and Smith was on the filed for one play and he got an unsportsmanlike 15 yard penalty. But he outdid himself this past year when he was inactive but received a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty on a long Spiller TD run for running into an official as Smith ran down the sidelines...and Smith was not even in the game. He had hands of stone and was way overrated as a blocker. And he is going to get big $$$. The team that signs him should get a 4 game suspension for being under the influence.

LOL !!

Lee Smith is no a bad guy by any means but surely Bills should upgrade when opportunity presents