Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

Can someone please explain to me the difference between guaranteed money and yearly. Serious question. Also does one effect the cap and not the other?

They both affect the cap the same way if the player is still on the team and gets that money. It changes if he leaves.

Basically, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. So if your salary is 10m and you get cut, the team doesn't owe you that 10m. But when you sign, they make a certain amount of your contract guaranteed. If you sign for 4 years and 20m with 10m guaranteed, you are sure to get at least 10m out of it, even if they cut or trade you.

Your yearly salary may or may not be guaranteed. So, in McCoy's case, it wasn't. They are making a new one for him to guarantee that money, and likely some more, so that he knows he is going to get it. Without it guaranteed, even though his salary is 10m for this year, if he gets cut in camp, he gets none of it.

If you are a veteran, and you are on the roster on opening day, your contract for the season becomes guaranteed. A rookie or 1-3 years or so, you can be cut and you don't get the rest of your salary for the remainder of the season.

Those are the basics. There are other factors like signing bonuses and roster bonuses that may or may not be guaranteed.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe those all go towards the cap. Could be wrong.

This was my point about bounty gate. More than the pay for play and dirty hits. Illegally spending money and having it not go to the cap was a red flag for me.

It wasn't coming from the team it was coming from a pool of likewise illegal fines players doled out against each other for taking plays off or boneheaded penalties

It really depends on who we are bidding against... we have room, but not the most room. We're willing to pay, but not too much, whereas someone like the Jags can pay basically anything. Keeping my fingers crossed!

but Marrone is there and he probably would prefer not to play on a crap team and see his face everyday too. #windsprints Edited by YoloinOhio

They both affect the cap the same way if the player is still on the team and gets that money. It changes if he leaves.

Basically, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. So if your salary is 10m and you get cut, the team doesn't owe you that 10m. But when you sign, they make a certain amount of your contract guaranteed. If you sign for 4 years and 20m with 10m guaranteed, you are sure to get at least 10m out of it, even if they cut or trade you.

Your yearly salary may or may not be guaranteed. So, in McCoy's case, it wasn't. They are making a new one for him to guarantee that money, and likely some more, so that he knows he is going to get it. Without it guaranteed, even though his salary is 10m for this year, if he gets cut in camp, he gets none of it.

If you are a veteran, and you are on the roster on opening day, your contract for the season becomes guaranteed. A rookie or 1-3 years or so, you can be cut and you don't get the rest of your salary for the remainder of the season.

Those are the basics. There are other factors like signing bonuses and roster bonuses that may or may not be guaranteed.

Thank you! Makes more sense the way you laid it out. So Bills may restructure him at a slightly lower price with more guarantee for all three or four years and he may grab it is what you are suggesting?

He wants too much. These players play for the bucks today and the owners push them to that. There is no loyalty in the NFL. The teams have created this and the players know this. Take the money and run. A'rnt to many Mario's out there that signed the big contracts and are still on the same team.

Thank you! Makes more sense the way you laid it out. So Bills may restructure him at a slightly lower price with more guarantee for all three or four years and he may grab it is what you are suggesting?

Exactly, and that is what they are doing. For example, he is owed 10m this year in salary. If they change that from salary to signing bonus, he gets that 10m today and he knows he's going to get it. They will likely guarantee more than 10m and add a couple years onto his three remaining years. He may or may not ever see that money 3-4 years from now, depending on performance, but he is assured of whatever guaranteed money they put in the deal. I imagine it will be more than 15m. That doesn't change how much they were going to have to pay him though, because he's going to be here at least two years. His salary for those two years totals about 18m I think.

Not even the player?

Nooe b.c sometimes he might end up on a bad team and won't be able to have 3 great players next to him... Then they fizzle out and get released and never heard from again.

Edited by Beef Jerky

Nooe b.c sometimes he might end up on a bad team and won't be able to have 3 great players next to him... Then they fizzle out and get released and never heard from again.

with $20M in the bank. So you're saying the Bills can put anyone in Hughes spot and they will be just as productive?

Edited by nucci