Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

@SalSports: A source has informed me the Bills are still working hard towards retaining Jerry Hughes & "still optimistic" they can before FA opens 3/10.

Verrryyyyyy interesting. Maybe he just wanted to dip his toes in the pond to see what kind of offers he might get but at the end of the day they might be in the neighborhood of what the Bills offered

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Verrryyyyyy interesting. Maybe he just wanted to dip his toes in the pond to see what kind of offers he might get but at the end of the day they might be in the neighborhood of what the Bills offered

the money they do not allocate to Harris now could be the key. Rex really is running things...? I Never would have paid Harris that but also maybe they heard something on Revis to make then think they are out of that one too Edited by YoloinOhio

I hope most people around here think the same way when it comes to OGs. I'd rather pay a pass rusher like Hughes a premium than an OG like Iupati. He will be missed. A reuniting with Pettine in Cleveland is a very good possibility. Both need and cap space certainly exist. The other usual suspects like Jax, Oakland, etc. should be in the mix.

Agreed pass rusher >>> OG

the money they do not allocate to Harris now could be the key. Rex really is running things...? I Never would have paid Harris that but also maybe they heard something on Revis to make then think they are out of that one too

makes sense. on Revis I've heard that the Pats want to keep him, just not at $20 mil per. he might want to just stay put with a lower contract but more guaranteed money

@ProFootballTalk: Decision of LB David Harris to stay with Jets increases the chances the Bills keep DE Jerry Hughes.

and there you have it. they probably had certain money earmarked for Harris so now they are able to dip into that piggy bank for Hughes and they will probably get a much lower priced ILB in FA or maybe the draft

Hughes stock will never be higher, I can't blame him for wanting to see how much that truly is worth. There should be no reason not to sign Dareus now, unless they wait and he has another great year, then it's the same scenario...

Dareus will be,really expensive now, or next year. We could always use,the tag after next year and then sign him no need to rush things

Agreed pass rusher >>> OG

Agreed. I could get by with just the Incognito signing. Assuming he can return close to his previous ability, that is one G spot locked up at a big upgrade. Im fine with Williams, Urbik, Kujo, Richardson battling it out for the other spot if it meant we get Hughes back.

Hughes stock will never be higher, I can't blame him for wanting to see how much that truly is worth. There should be no reason not to sign Dareus now, unless they wait and he has another great year, then it's the same scenario...

Well, theres one big reason, and that would be that Dareus and his agent dont WANT to sign now. How do people keep missing this very simple point? Youve been around long enough to know this.

Plus there is always the tag

Edited by DrDareustein

Helping Jerry out a bit here...

Pros:

1) Get to work with one of the greatest Defensive minds of this generation. A guy who puts players in a position to excel.

2) Comfort level of playing on the same line with 3 all pros

3) A team and owner committed to winning - now have a superstar RB and a serviceable QB

4) Much greater possibility of playing out the entire contract you sign -- including any back end loaded salary years

5) Coach you hated and who was not even aware your coordinator was holding you out of a game is gone

Cons:

1) Less guaranteed money and salary-- by probably 10-15%

2) Agent will be pissed I went for less cash if I sign with the Bills

3) Hot girlfriend will be pissed I want for less cash if I sign with the Bills

Edited by Formerly Joe F

Helping Jerry out a bit here...

Pros:

1) Get to work with one of the greatest Defensive minds of this generation. A guy who puts players in a position to excel.

2) Comfort level of playing on the same line with 3 all pros

3) A team and owner committed to winning - now have a superstar RB and a serviceable QB

4) Much greater possibility of playing out the entire contract you sign -- including any back end loaded salary years

5) Coach you hated and who was not even aware your coordinator was holding you out of a game is gone

Cons:

1) Less guaranteed money and salary-- by probably 10-15%

2) Agent will be pissed I went for less cash if I sign with the Bills

3) Hot girlfriend will be pissed I want for less cash if I sign with the Bills

getting married next month

https://www.theknot.com/us/meghan-robinson-and-jerry-hughes-apr-2015

@ProFootballTalk: Decision of LB David Harris to stay with Jets increases the chances the Bills keep DE Jerry Hughes.

Does this really increase the chance that the Bills keep him?

Or does it really just increase Hughes' leverage, and suggest that the Bills will now up the price too much, if necessary.

Because unless Hughes was planning to go to the Jets after Harris left, I dont see how Hughes would think going back to Buffalo is now more likely. Or, maybe it increases the likelihood that Buffalo TAGS Hughes.

Edited by maddenboy

Does this really increase the chance that the Bills keep him?

Or does it really just increase Hughes' leverage, and suggest that the Bills will now up the price too much, if necessary.

Because unless Hughes was planning to go to the Jets after Harris left, I dont see how Hughes would think going back to Buffalo is now more likely. Or, maybe it increases the likelihood that Buffalo TAGS Hughes.

they don't play the same position. Hughes is a DE/Pass rushing LB and Harris is a MLB. because they didn't spend money to get Harris now the Bills have the money to give Hughes a little more