Rapaport: Trading Kiko was Rex's idea

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a difficult time believing that Rex is as in charge as some make him out to be. Especially since we just let a coach walk instead of giving him a little bit more power over the personnel choices. The Pegulas picked the GM over the HC in that battle, and I have to assume the power structure was discussed extensively while they were interviewing Rex. As they all said in Rex's introductory press conference, Whaley is in charge of the 53 and Rex is in charge of the gameday roster.

Im sure Rex definitely has some input, and has a good enough relationship with Whaley that he can press for players (especially for his specific systems), but all roster moves still have Whaley's stamp. I dont think Rex is "orchestrating" anything, Doug is doing the dealing.

Kiko wanted out of Buffalo and he also now has 2 reconstructed knees... Goodbye

No he didnt. Please stop spreading this false and discredited rumor.

That's not it at all. Whenever bigtime coaches come in, they tend to possess a lot of power. This isn't chan gailey (a creature of the gm when he was hired here) that we're talking about. Do you really think the gm in new england has any power over belichick? Whaley going into this offseason was skating on very thin ice (that's not meant as a criticism of him), and the owner just paid the coach $27 million. Whaley is most likely a valued functionary in a rex ryan organization. He doesn't have the juice of the niners' gm, which led to a bad situation in sf; rather, he's second in command. Which ain't necessarily a bad thing if they have a good relationship and are on the same page.

Except as opposed to NE, our GM played a major role in picking and hiring the coach to go along with his plan. No way do I think Whaley is below Rex at all. Doug has the final say on every personnel move. Otherwise, whats the point of even having him? Glorified scout?

Edited by DrDareustein

Any evidence or rumors to support this theory, or is it still pure conjecture?

quote name="mellaman101" post="3479856" timestamp="1425530928"]

You're preaching to the choir. That said, whaley has to step up his game in offensive evaluation. The line selections in both fa and the draft have been really bad. Incidentally, my son conducts a weekly beatdown of me for defending the watkins trade up (which i still do) because he lives in nyc and sees beckham all of the time. He thinks i'm a fool for defending the trade.

I'ii agree with this when I see how his draft picks do under a decent coaching staff

Our defense was better without Kiko. I love the guy, but he is gone. He was an asset who was traded for one of the top running backs in the game.

When is the last time the Bills had one of the top running backs in the game? Travis "papa" Henry? Willis? Freddie is awesome, but not one of the best in the game. Thurman. 1990's.

It's been a minute.

Let's let Rex and company put together an offensive line to get the job done. The defense is solid. Keep Hughes. Sign Revis. Done.

I have a difficult time believing that Rex is as in charge as some make him out to be. Especially since we just let a coach walk instead of giving him a little bit more power over the personnel choices. The Pegulas picked the GM over the HC in that battle, and I have to assume the power structure was discussed extensively while they were interviewing Rex. As they all said in Rex's introductory press conference, Whaley is in charge of the 53 and Rex is in charge of the gameday roster.

Im sure Rex definitely has some input, and has a good enough relationship with Whaley that he can press for players (especially for his specific systems), but all roster moves still have Whaley's stamp. I dont think Rex is "orchestrating" anything, Doug is doing the dealing.

No he didnt. Please stop spreading this false and discredited rumor.

Ill stop once its stops being reported... Such as Mad Dog Sport has been slaying all day

Any evidence or rumors to support this theory, or is it still pure conjecture?

quote name="mellaman101" post="3479856" timestamp="1425530928"]

Dont make a damn difference to me what the rumor is, hes gong and you have no say in it. So move on...

Ill stop once its stops being reported... Such as Mad Dog Sport has been slaying all day

Kiko wanting out is false the only person who said it was Jason la confora who is a (*^*&%^$^#

Other sources haven't mentioned it and others have said he didn't say that. It was a deal that fell into the bills lap

honestly, who the hell cares if he wanted out or not. Guess what, he is gone... And you have no say in it. Goodbye Kiko....

I don't think he wanted out, but I can understand why a lot of people might want to know if that is true or not. Especially the people who think it was a dumb trade because Kiko is young, or way less expensive, or could be an all pro for 5 years.

If he wanted out, they may say, "Okay then, it wasn't dumb at all." It's a message board. It's designed for opinions. Usually, there are no right or wrong answers or absolutes, just opinions. That's important information that could sway an opinion on the trade dramatically.

Does it affect the trade or the team? Of course not. But nothing posted here does.

Our defense was better without Kiko. I love the guy, but he is gone. He was an asset who was traded for one of the top running backs in the game.

It was only better because another pick was invested and panned out (Brown), and Bradham had a huge year of development. And another LB (Spikes) was brought in - he's gone. Let's not act like Kiko was holding the D back. If anything, it could have been even better with him.

honestly, who the hell cares if he wanted out or not. Guess what, he is gone... And you have no say in it. Goodbye Kiko....

Apparently, you care because you keep repeating it.

Every time a player is traded, it isn't an indictment of his personal character or value. It's not even necessarily a statement made by the team that they don't like the player. A trade is an exchange of value for value. The Bills braintrust determined that acquiring LeSean McCoy was of greater importance to their future success than retaining Kiko Alonso, and probably nothing more.

I think it's kind of gross to turn on a player once he leaves--- just because he leaves. There's no reason to bash Kiko just because he was traded, even if he wanted out. He seemed to embrace Buffalo and played hard and well as a rookie. If some fans wish to lament his departure a mere 24 hours later, it's certainly understandable.

One of the first things Rex wanted to do was find a way to get David Harris in a Bills uni to QB his defense. That doesn't mean getting rid of Kiko. Being offered McCoy by an NFL team that's currently coveting ex-Oregon players is what got Alonso traded. I don't buy for a second that he wasn't a scheme fit seeing as how Kiko was DROY runner up in Pettine's scheme in '13.

GO BILLS!!!

somehow people forget the obvious

If you think whaley has equal power to rex on personnel, there's a bridge in brooklyn i'd be happy to sell you. I'm not saying they don't get along. I like to think i'm a realist about these sorts of things. Who initiated the trade is beside the point; i'm referring to the power dynamic in buffalo.

Is it yours to sell?

I don't want to see a lot of ex Jets showing up here in Buffalo. Rex, if your so da*m smart, how come you can't get off your tired script and use great talent available. Maybe Rex isn't smart enough to do it another way......oh yeh,, thats why Schwartz was let go. Anyhow, keep that guy Harris out of Buffalo.......I don't have any use for him.

Agree including taking so many coaches from the Jets.

Same issue Marrone has w/Syracuse coaches.

Schwartz was not exactly let go, he was demoted and given choice to continue or be let go.