Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be a good deal if it was fantasy football. But this is real life and Kiko is a better football player at this point than McCoy. This is his 7th year and he's in decline. Not to mention the guy is 200 pounds soaking wet. How is he a ground and pound back? This makes no sense. I'm having flash backs of Spiller up the middle for 1 yard over ans over. I'd be curious to know if this is Whaley just going after a big name or if Roman had any input on this. I would feel better if Roman said this was all part of his plan otherwise I'm going to assume Whaley got taken trading our best young player for an undersized back that is declining

No offense... But this post has very little to do with reality... McCoy in decline? No... Not yet anyway... He's still one of the top 5 RB's in the NFL... He's a great receiver out of the back field... And he has vision and insticts Spiller can only dream of.... I honestly can't see how anyone would have a problem with this deal... And I fully admit Shady pretty much single-handedly won my Fantasy league for me in 2013... So I'm a bit biased... But only a bit... I only want what is best for the Bills... And I think this is very very good...

Holy cow people. Step away from the ledge....

First off, McCoy is only 2 years younger than Kiko, and way more established in the league.

Secondly, he has the most rushing yards of any RB over the last five years in the league. It's not like Buffalo is trading for Trent Richardson or someone who hasn't proven anything in this league. At 26 and under contract for another three seasons, the Bills have their workhorse RB set till 2018.

While I really liked Kiko, and not excited that he was traded, he had one good year. Who knows how he would have fit in Rex Ryans defense, especially coming off a serious knee injury that cost him an entire season. With Bradham, Brown, Lawson (more of a 3-4 guy) and Mario Williams, it's not like the Bills are empty at LB. Corbin Bryant or Stephan Charles who both played really well last year and should fill in the 3rd Dline position. I don't see the defense dropping without Kiko.

...and all of this without even hitting Free Agency or the draft yet. I'm sure Buffalo will add a starter or two there that will fit in well with Ryan's defense.

And that Ryan guy, by the way, is pretty good and putting a defense together. I'm not too worried about the move.

Offensively, the Bills get the best RB in the league over the last half decade. Unbeknownst to many posters on this board, you don't find those every day in the draft. I'm sure the OL and TE will be addressed in FA and/or the draft. QB is defiinitely going to be addressed via trade or FA.

With that being said, good to know that Manuel/McCoy/Watkins are a better trio statistically than what the Jets had in 09/10 when they went to the AFC Championship game. And that was without a stud TE.

Whaley and Ryan have a definate blueprint of how they want to build this team. They are taking massive action to get those building blocks. It's refreshing to know that management is looking to add the best players out there compared to prevoius years when mediocre talent was brought in offensive line, RB, WR, etc to compete and we end up 6-10.

I have a strong feeling that after the draft and FA, this team is going to look ALOT different. ALOT more formidable. and that's a very good thing.

Go Bills!

Edited by dezertbill

McCoy has too many miles on him to carry the rock 30+ times a game. We gave up an every down player in Kiko for 15 carries a game basically. We are still going to need another guy to carry the load. They better get someone in the draft. This is literally the best RB draft of the past decade so I just cant believe how much we gave up for a 7th year RB when the RB of the future will probably still be available with our 2nd or 3rd pick

You get arguably the top RB in the game (top 3 at worst), in his prime, locked in for three years. He fits Roman's scheme, can do everything (block, catch, run). In exchange you give up a very popular player, but a guy who's shredded the same knee twice and who didn't want to be here.

It's a win.

Yes. I think the gut reaction to hate this deal is a (totally relatable) fanboi response.

Any of you numbskulls who think Kiko "wanted out" need to look at the source -- LaContorta. Simply not true.

This is an amazing trade by Whaley.

Chip Kelly's ego will be the death of him.

Thanks for your service, CJ.

No offense... But this post has very little to do with reality... McCoy in decline? No... Not yet anyway... He's still one of the top 5 RB's in the NFL... He's a great receiver out of the back field... And he has vision and insticts Spiller can only dream of.... I honestly can't see how anyone would have a problem with this deal... And I fully admit Shady pretty much single-handedly won my Fantasy league for me in 2013... So I'm a bit biased... But only a bit... I only want what is best for the Bills... And I think this is very very good...

How did he do in 2014? Oh he declined? At about the time RB's (especially undersized RB's) typically decline? Hmm

I absolutely Loved Kiko but McCoy is an elite RB in his prime.

I haven't gone through the entire thread - any thoughts on possibility of injury concerns with Kiko and his knees?

this is a tough trade. I'm excited and sad at the same time.

There was a post earlier (yolo) said something about the Bills worrying about Kiko's knee. Leori said the same as well.

McCoy has too many miles on him to carry the rock 30+ times a game. We gave up an every down player in Kiko for 15 carries a game basically. We are still going to need another guy to carry the load. They better get someone in the draft. This is literally the best RB draft of the past decade so I just cant believe how much we gave up for a 7th year RB when the RB of the future will probably still be available with our 2nd or 3rd pick

Shady will touch the ball 25+ times a game between rushing and receiving. Fred is still on the roster as is Brown. They're fine at RB now.

If RBs "grow on trees" then why doesn't every team have a guy capable of the numbers Shady posts? I've been saying we need to add an elite back (I wanted Demarco) and this accomplishes that. Kiko wanted out and we are set up with Brown and Bradham, plus Rex should be able to recruit David Harris much easier than an offensive player of McCoy's caliber.

My head is spinning. If you don't have a QB you need a top RB. If he's healthy and his head is right, we'll be a better team than with Kiko. Shady doesn't seem pleased though.

Different era, different game. Shady is in the prime years (26-29) for an NFL RB. He's shown no signs of physically slowing down, if anything he was on an uptick until Kelly changed schemes.

Find me a running back who got better in his late 20s. The one comparison that makes the trade look good for the bills was the colts trade for dickerson early in the 1987 season (he turned 27 that year too) -- he put up big numbers for them that year and the next season. He had one other good season after that, but it all went south in 1990. He's the best example you'll find, but eric dickerson is hardly a representative player. Most quick guys go downhill quickly.

Edited by dave mcbride

I didn't read all 23 pages but saw someone mention Kiko didn't want to be here? Where's that coming from?

I was curious about that too- I asked with no reply if we deemed last year non football injury and in turn didn't count the year in his contract - otherwise, no idea why he'd want out with Ryan coming.

If you want to put yourself at ease, read the Philly fan reaction on Twitter. People are pissed

Some people are pissed here too. But the philly fans really need to pay attention. His numbers were in free fall having been beaten out by a better back in both pass and short yardage situations. Kelly made a great trade unloading him and his contact for a pro bowl calibre, versatile lb Edited by JTSP