Rex Whaley emerging.

ChanOverChin

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a big fan of Whaley. For me, Whaley over Marrone was/is a no-brainer.

However, I am still not 100% sure how all this is going to pan out for Whaley...still too early to tell.

Marrone leaving, and then Polian snubbing the Bills, kind of left the Pegulas in an awkward position

I am inclined to think that they would have kept Whaley regardless, but you never know. The fact that the coach has to report to the owners, as opposed to the GM could turn out to be an issue too... not saying it will definitely, but we just have words now...the fact that there still seems to be the notion that the Pegulas want to hire a "football czar" type, even after the coaching hire, tells me they are still not completely sure if they have the front-office set up they want. They also want that czar to have input on draft/fa activity...that is telling me that the GM's performance is still under some scrutiny with the new owners.

The coach is a huge personality and seems to speak almost as if he is the GM at times...this could cause friction down the road, or it could be a great sign that everyone is simpatico... we just don't know yet. Let's get through the draft, and free agency period first... we will have a clearer view of things, once the team, with the new owner/coach/old GM face their first adversity.

I agree with most of this Buftex. But face it, Rex was a huge hire. He IS bigger than Whaley wrt his NFL credentials. Although, he does have a good pedigree, and I think he's pretty well thought of. The Pegs probably are still thinking about the FO makeup, but it does appear that everyone's got their oars in the water and are pulling in the same direction in synchronization.

Can't blame them for thinking they might not have the right guy in place as GM - but frankly I do think he's legit. We might look back on Maroon's leaving and scaring Polianna away as a bright turning point in the franchise's history. Doug can grow with Rex, and I don't foresee them with many battles over who to draft or acquire either. They have very, very similar ideas on how to build a winner. I think that's a much better match up than Rex and Polianna.

The Kool-Aid is already flowing...

On the good side, they've got a real NFL HC, Russ Brandon has been put in his place away from personnel, and they've got a very good defense. Those are encouraging things.

But not having a QB is a tremendous obstacle to overcome, not to mention needing serious upgrades across the OL, and improvements at TE and RB.

There's a lot of work to do.

Let's wait till after they lose a few games before we start anointing either one of them. We'll see if they are on the same page after a year or so.

I agree, the saying "everyone has a plan, 'til they get punched in the mouth" comes to mind.

It's way too early for blue sky, sunshine and rainbows talk, but, hey, it is the offseason, so, there's that.

On defense that means adding a run stuffer (both DTs from the Jets are FAs, K. Ellis and Harrison).

i remember a piece on DL a couple years ago. They showed that Rex's Jets preferred long/lean DTs. Guys who "play the run on the way to the QB." Penetrators. And when you think about it, that's what Ellis and Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson are about.

So when you talk about "run stuffer," I dont think those guys fit the bill.

I agree, the saying "everyone has a plan, 'til they get punched in the mouth" comes to mind.

It's way too early for blue sky, sunshine and rainbows talk, but, hey, it is the offseason, so, there's that.

It is never too early to talk about the positive direction of the franchise. I know the last 15 years have been a nightmare, but this is part of being a fan.

Edited by What a Tuel

On the good side, they've got a real NFL HC, Russ Brandon has been put in his place away from personnel, and they've got a very good defense. Those are encouraging things.

But not having a QB is a tremendous obstacle to overcome, not to mention needing serious upgrades across the OL, and improvements at TE and RB.

There's a lot of work to do.

Well thank God they're still working on it and haven't given up like so many "fans" have. This is just the tip of the nascent off season.

Here is the problem with the Rex/Whaley approach (strong D and strong run game)...

That will not be enough when it is time to take down Brady, Rodgers, Luck, or whatever other exceptional QB is playing on the opposing side in a big playoff game.

I think their approach can get us to a certain point, very possibly including a playoff game for the first time in 937 years. But it won't get us any further than that. A middling QB will leave this team high and dry against top talent in a playoff game every time.

HOWEVER! For now, maybe a wild card berth is enough. It would mark a transition to the new Pegula Era, and provide a foundation to build on for the future.

But we're going to need a real QB eventually.

This is the problem with the current approach. It doesn't take you all the way; it only takes you so far.

Edited by Stopthepain

Here is the problem with the Rex/Whaley approach (strong D and strong run game)...

That will not be enough when it is time to take down Brady, Rodgers, Luck, or whatever other exceptional QB is playing on the opposing side in a big playoff game.

I think their approach can get us to a certain point, very possibly including a playoff game for the first time in 937 years. But it won't get us any further than that. A middling QB will leave this team high and dry against top talent in a playoff game every time.

HOWEVER! For now, maybe a wild card berth is enough. It would mark a transition to the new Pegula Era, and provide a foundation to build on for the future.

But we're going to need a real QB eventually.

This is the problem with the current approach. It doesn't take you all the way; it only takes you so far.

Well, this approach HAS worked. Not many approaches take you all the way unless you have a good QB. Looks to me like we're taking the Ravens/Bucs approach. You don't have a good Qb, dominate on D and build a strong running game. Not much else you can do. But don't say it doesn't take you all the way, because it has in the past. Yes, we need a qB eventually. Until you get one, play d and run the ball. It has worked in the past.

Well, this approach HAS worked. Not many approaches take you all the way unless you have a good QB. Looks to me like we're taking the Ravens/Bucs approach. You don't have a good Qb, dominate on D and build a strong running game. Not much else you can do. But don't say it doesn't take you all the way, because it has in the past. Yes, we need a qB eventually. Until you get one, play d and run the ball. It has worked in the past.

This is just so obvious, I don't understand why some people just don't get it. At any given time there are four or five elite QBs, ten franchise QBs(including the elite), Qbs are not easy to find.

This is just so obvious, I don't understand why some people just don't get it. At any given time there are four or five elite QBs, ten franchise QBs(including the elite), Qbs are not easy to find.

QBs aren't easy to find but teams can succeed with a mediocre QB. Joe Namath, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Matt Hasselbeck, Rex Grossman, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Chris Chandler, Neil O'Donnell, Stan Humphries, are just a few QBs that made it to the SB.

Like you said, QBs are hard to find, so you gotta find alternate ways to win. Just because you don't have a QB, you're going to give up every year until we get one?

Teams can be successful with a mediocre QB. Hell, the Jets made it to the AFC championship game in back to back season with Mark Sanchez as their QB. It can be done.

he didn't even realize that one of his best players wasn't on the field for half of a critical game, but that didn't stop him from demanding personnel control. Boss!

Also, Marrone targeted Sammy Watkins 3 measly times in the first Patriot's game. He was an idiot and I'll bet you Manuel's going to do whatever it takes to prove Marrone was the problem all along.

If I were him, on every snap I'd imagine playing against 11 Doug Marrones out there on defense. If EJ doesn't have a huge chip on his shoulder this year then he aint the QB for the Bills.

Which teams are advancing deep into the playoffs with a strong defense and an offense that runs the ball well?

QBs aren't easy to find but teams can succeed with a mediocre QB. Joe Namath, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Matt Hasselbeck, Rex Grossman, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Chris Chandler, Neil O'Donnell, Stan Humphries, are just a few QBs that made it to the SB.

Like you said, QBs are hard to find, so you gotta find alternate ways to win. Just because you don't have a QB, you're going to give up every year until we get one?

Teams can be successful with a mediocre QB. Hell, the Jets made it to the AFC championship game in back to back season with Mark Sanchez as their QB. It can be done.

Joe Namath was not mediocre. Anything but. Spare me the cited stat lines and try to appreciate the difference between being a passer and being a QB. Nobody called a better game and his SB game was a masterpiece in that regard.

GO BILLS!!!

Joe Namath was not mediocre. Anything but. Spare me the cited stat lines and try to appreciate the difference between being a passer and being a QB. Nobody called a better game and his SB game was a masterpiece in that regard.

GO BILLS!!!

It is a shame that Broadway Joe played in an era before today's modern medicine and arthoscopic surgeries. Regardless what Joe M's stats were he threw a magnificent ball. What is often not considered when evaluating him is his football smarts and his play calling talents.

Edited by JohnC