Whaley: not optimistic on trade market for a QB

YoloinOhio

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing this excuse but I just don't see it besides Sammy now. We always overrate everyone except our QB and underrate the poor teams talent. In his first year, EJ had an injured (and some (not me) would say not suitable) WR in Stevie Johnson and......Woods the rookie albeit he was good.

This year we got better with Watkins but then we sabotaged ourselves by not playing Williams. Then again Manuel only got 4 games and got benched and now we need a big target WR again.

First, I did specify last year. Stevie has nothing to do with what I said. Second, exactly who would you want to replace of the Bills pass catchers with someone from the Browns? Bear in mind Josh Gordon played in 5 games, Jordan Cameron played in 10 games and got a whole 24 catches. The only one I can think of is maybe the ghost of Miles Austin for Chris Hogan...

This is kind of where the debate lies. Do you go after a guy that can do a mediocre job consistently (ie Hoyer) or a guy that is a boom or bust type (ie RGIII)? It is an interesting question but it certainly won't be someone that is perfect.

For where this team is, I want someone consistently mediocre. I think this team can win 11 games with Hoyer at QB. Flame away.

That seems a bit harsh. I'm not saying he'd light the world on fire, but I'd shoot a 6th over there for him (assuming Tampa just wants any kind of compensation). He had his moments during the previous year, before the offensive line went to crap.

Tampa currently has Glennon signed to a very reasonable contract. The QB on their roster are Glennon and Lobato, a UDFA rookie who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL

Even if they do plan to draft a QB in the 1st, why would they be willing to trade a 2013 3rd round draft pick who has shown some NFL abilities for a 6th? I just don't understand what's seen as the motivation here. For a 2nd or 3rd plus a player, maybe? but even then - they would have to acquire a backup QB somehow, and who is available that would be better and more economical

Manuel was coached by Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett. There is no denying that they were the worst offensive coaches in the NFL last season.

Arguing that he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt is simply ignoring that he was severely hampered in his development by those two knuckleheads. You should at least wait and see what he does with Super Bowl quality professional coaching in Greg Roman. If he can't get it done with Roman then it would be a reasonable assessment that they should move on. I'm not saying to not bring in another QB, but Manuel deserves and will be in the mix to compete for the starting job.

Did anyone else note that Orton had the same issues as Manuel? What was the common denominator? Pick up a vet FA and if there is a guy you like in round three or four take him. Let the best man win the job. Nobody trades a good QB unless they have two and one is in a contract year. Edited by chris heff

I hope so.

What is the fascination with Ryan Mallett? Besides having a big arm, he has done nothing to speak of in the NFL - even in pre-season. The Pats thought so little of him that they drafted his replacement last year and dumped him off to Houston for (I think) a lousy 6th round pick.

If Houston thinks he has potential to be a good starter, they'll spend good money to keep him.

I don't think their is anyone out there who is a proven upgrade to EJ and EJ is younger. I say give him a full season and if he plays poorly/we don't make the playoffs then dump him

Edited by SJDK

The way it looks now, the QB position won't be solved this year. The free agents are bad and the draft is weak. Rex keeps talking about the running game because he knows the QB will be the weak link. If by some miracle EJ turns it around we are set, otherwise it's wait until next year.

First, I did specify last year. Stevie has nothing to do with what I said. Second, exactly who would you want to replace of the Bills pass catchers with someone from the Browns? Bear in mind Josh Gordon played in 5 games, Jordan Cameron played in 10 games and got a whole 24 catches. The only one I can think of is maybe the ghost of Miles Austin for Chris Hogan...

Well I wasn't aiming it specifically at you, although I did quote you. I did say I keep hearing this excuse. I heard it recently with Bradford and the Rams. Also 2013 is a reflection of the year Manuel played the most games, it is just a better sample size since he was benched in 2014.

We do overestimate our WR's. While they are young talented players, they aren't spectacular outside of Sammy Watkins. And I do really like Woods and he definitely deserves a spot on the team. Put it to poor QB play, but the same could be said for the Rams or the Browns WR's as well. Andrew Hawkins comes to mind as someone the Browns would say is better than Woods. It is debatable but that's the point. Outside of Sammy, we have Woods and.....

I guess the point is that Manuel doesn't get the WR excuse so why should Hoyer?

Edited by What a Tuel

I believe Whaley's comments are part of a game of cat and mouse.

Although it hasn't been officially reported by some of the bigger named NFL media types, rumors are floating around of RG III being on the trade market with the Bills and Jets being interested.

Alot of what has gone on the past week seems to make this more of a possibility than an improbability.

Gruden last year publically displayed his frustration with RG III. Called out his ability to be a leader of the franchise. He went as far to say that RG III will have to compete for the QB spot in 2015. Even the Redskin's season ticket campaign doesn't have RG III's face on it. A fact brought up by many ESPN media types.

All of a sudden out of the blue, Gruden says RG III is their starting QB. A statement that has baffled everyone from NFL Network to ESPN.

I believe this was a direct result of trying to increase Griffin's trade value. Any team that goes after him will now have to give up talent and/or draft picks to trade for a "starting" QB for the Redskins. Not just a backup competing for a job.

I think Whaley is firing back by going public that he's not that confident that a starter can be acquired via trade. That goes against what was said a month ago when it was stated that Bills would take " a not frequently talked-about" method of obtaining a starting QB. Drafting or signing a Mark Sanchez or Jake Locker is all anyone has talked about. So the only other methods would be either a trade, or signing a CFL prospect (which I believe they would have done by now).

In the end, I think the Bills will show serious interest in trading for a QB. I think RG III who needs a new home and a fresh start, will be on the tip of Whaley's tongue when that rumor starts becoming more of a reality.

Although it hasn't been officially reported by some of the bigger named NFL media types, rumors are floating around of RG III being on the trade market with the Bills and Jets being interested.

Alot of what has gone on the past week seems to make this more of a possibility than an improbability.

Gruden last year publically displayed his frustration with RG III. Called out his ability to be a leader of the franchise. He went as far to say that RG III will have to compete for the QB spot in 2015. Even the Redskin's season ticket campaign doesn't have RG III's face on it. A fact brought up by many ESPN media types.

All of a sudden out of the blue, Gruden says RG III is their starting QB. A statement that has baffled everyone from NFL Network to ESPN.

I believe this was a direct result of trying to increase Griffin's trade value. Any team that goes after him will now have to give up talent and/or draft picks to trade for a "starting" QB for the Redskins. Not just a backup competing for a job.

I think Whaley is firing back by going public that he's not that confident that a starter can be acquired via trade. That goes against what was said a month ago when it was stated that Bills would take " a not frequently talked-about" method of obtaining a starting QB. Drafting or signing a Mark Sanchez or Jake Locker is all anyone has talked about. So the only other methods would be either a trade, or signing a CFL prospect (which I believe they would have done by now).

In the end, I think the Bills will show serious interest in trading for a QB. I think RG III who needs a new home and a fresh start, will be on the tip of Whaley's tongue when that rumor starts becoming more of a reality.

Those are some interesting points. That would be a huge move if the Bills did that, and it would generate an insane level of excitement. Similar to most people saying they didn't want Rex Ryan, and now we love him. I'm not sold on Griffin as a player yet, but like I said interesting....

That sounds pretty reasonable to me...

Perfectly reasonable and you shouldn't believe anything around draft time.

That said, if the Washington Slurs chose fat jon Gruden over RG3, they are morons. They should do everything they can to see if he can get back to his rookie year.

Fair enough,I fall on the other side. I think that if they get RG or Bradford at their best they can win a Super Bowl. It is interesting for sure.

It's interesting that you said "at their best" they can win a SB. I agree on Bradford but I just can't get over how much RG has regressed. His backup has problems but I like Cousins better because he has guts & isn't afraid to wing it. Lots of int's last year but 4 came in one game. He has a certain cockiness about him that I like. I think that he will be asking for a trade as he doesn't want to carry a clip board.