Whaley: not optimistic on trade market for a QB

YoloinOhio

Whaley on WGR right now

@WGR550: Whaley on trade market for QBs: "I'm not confident in that..it's worth investigating but I am less optimistic about that"

Will post interview when get the link

Whaley said they'll meet with all of the QB's in Indy except Winston and Mariotta

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Brees, Rivers, Big Ben and Kaep' threads/talk has been a waste of time?! Damn...

I'm really beginning to think that they are counting on EJ, and will bring in a decent insurance policy like Hoyer or Moore. Then draft a late round project QB.

I'm not sold on EJ but I definitely think it's wrong for us to be giving up on him so early in a career. He's shown some good and some downright awful but I'm willing to let him grow and learn the pro position for another season - as should anyone.

I'm really beginning to think that they are counting on EJ, and will bring in a decent insurance policy like Hoyer or Moore. Then draft a late round project QB.

It's really our most likely option.... the miracle of Manning, Brees, etc being here are slim chances. The mid level free agents out there are competition, that's about it. And if that competition is at all close, just give it to EJ for a season, see if he develops. If he doesn't, then we go into next year with a first round pick that we can spend on another QB.

Edited by Dorkington

Not surprising. No team with a proven competent (or better) incumbent at QB is going to trade themselves into the Bills situation. It's suicidal. Which is why I never understood the chatter about trading for Sam Bradford (what ... they're going to play Shaun Hill again? They're not in position to draft an immediate starter) or anyone like him. I still think Glennon will be moved if only to avoid the lamest QB controversy in history, but I don't see any proven starter getting traded -- Glennon doesn't count as one.

The reality is there is only 2 realistic trade option now that RG is seemingly off the table. Bradford, RG and Cutler are the only guys that were ever realistic trade targets. The Bills will do their due diligence. I don't think that's any different from what the level headed people on here had suggested? The Brees type of stuff was ridiculous from the 1st time that it was suggested.

Not surprising. No team with a proven competent (or better) incumbent at QB is going to trade themselves into the Bills situation. It's suicidal. Which is why I never understood the chatter about trading for Sam Bradford (what ... they're going to play Shaun Hill again? They're not in position to draft an immediate starter) or anyone like him. I still think Glennon will be moved if only to avoid the lamest QB controversy in history, but I don't see any proven starter getting traded -- Glennon doesn't count as one.

Glennon is hot garbage

This isn't surprising. Who is going to trade a QB unless they know the guy can't play?

His point was basically what a lot of people have said here. (I'm paraphrasing) "If he team has a premier or better than average QB and they get rid of him, now they are in the same boat as the other 20 teams looking for one"

Exactly. Total pipe dream to think guys like Big Ben, Eli, etc. aren't going to restructure and stay where they are.

The Bills have a first round QB with less than one full season of experience. He remains the best bet for a long term solution.

His play was adequate enough until Mack went down. When Hoyer has good protection and pieces in place he does well enough imo

I see your point but just disagree. I think Hoyer is awful...inaccurate and too many INTs. Isn't this true for most?

Edited by nucci

I see your point but just disagree. I think Hoyer is awful...inaccurate and too many INTs. Isn't this true for most?

Agreed. Sure as a backup but the guy threw more INTs than tds. He has little upside beyond backup.

And of course the QB trade market sucks. If there was a good QB, the team won't give them up for anything. If EJ is as bad as some people think, we will get a #1 overall pick and can pick a QB next year (and give up on him after 14 games :) ).

Agreed. Sure as a backup but the guy threw more INTs than tds. He has little upside beyond backup.

And of course the QB trade market sucks. If there was a good QB, the team won't give them up for anything. If EJ is as bad as some people think, we will get a #1 overall pick and can pick a QB next year (and give up on him after 14 games :) ).

Not making excuses for him, but can't some of that be chalked up to who he had to throw to in Cleveland? And yeah, things got bad once he started forcing the ball to Gordon late in the year