Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

You're speaking more to positional importance, not necessarily which specific player represents the foundation of the offensive attack.

I mean, the drop off from Teddy Bridgewater to Shaun Hill is pretty significant, and would most likely move the betting line more than the drop off from Adrian Peterson to Jerrick McKinnon; that says nothing of who opposing DCs are spending more time preparing for...know what I mean?

Positional importance has a lot to do with it, of course, which is why I laugh when I hear people tout a running back as an MVP candidate. But if Wilson is not the "foundation of the offensive attack" (and just a game manager) then why would it matter so much to the betting line if he's out? Conversely, if Marshawn were the linchpin (sorry) of the Seattle attack, then wouldn't you expect a major impact on the betting line from his absence? If, as you say, the dropoff from Lynch to the second string running back is not that significant, then how can Lynch be considered the focal point of the attack?

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Positional importance has a lot to do with it, of course, which is why I laugh when I hear people tout a running back as an MVP candidate. But if Wilson is not the "foundation of the offensive attack" (and just a game manager) then why would it matter so much to the betting line if he's out? Conversely, if Marshawn were the linchpin (sorry) of the Seattle attack, then wouldn't you expect a major impact on the betting line from his absence? If, as you say, the dropoff from Lynch to the second string running back is not that significant, then how can Lynch be considered the focal point of the attack?

I understand why you're asking.

I think it's important to note that I never said that Wilson was just a game manager; only that he wasn't the focal point of opposing DCs. More directly: the reason Lynch is the focal point is that Seattle runs the ball as much as any team in football, and he's typically the guy doing the running. It's really hard to gauge what the dropoff would be to a guy like Turbin or Michael, because backup RBs typically have higher YPCs than the starters (i.e. Joe Randle vs. Demarco Murray).

its the CBA their union negotiated.

True, and that is why the NFLPA is widely regarded as historically the most incompetent union in professional sports. But even within the bounds of the CBA, players like Chancellor have the right to threaten to withhold their services if they are unhappy with what they are being paid.

I have never understood the average fan's tendency to side with billionaires over millionaires.

I think it's important to note that I never said that Wilson was just a game manager; only that he wasn't the focal point of opposing DCs. More directly: the reason Lynch is the focal point is that Seattle runs the ball as much as any team in football, and he's typically the guy doing the running. It's really hard to gauge what the dropoff would be to a guy like Turbin or Michael, because backup RBs typically have higher YPCs than the starters (i.e. Joe Randle vs. Demarco Murray).

Don't forget that Wilson is an important part of Seattle's running attack too.

Edited by mannc

its a variety of things. as i mentioned, the dropoff to a backup is likely less for nearly any team at RB. There are a lot of capable RBs, very few good qbs though and almost none are backups. that alone is likely the biggest explanation. and that likewise not meant as a knock on wilson.

@SI_PeterKing: Russell Wilson and the Seahawks have agreed to a 4-year, $87.6-million extension, per source.

@SI_PeterKing: The deal averages $21.9-miilion a year, a smidge less than top deal in football, Aaron Rodgers $22-million per.

@ChrisTrapasso: Perspective on Russell Wilson having "approximately $60M guaranteed" in his new deal -- Aaron Rodgers has most gtd $ among QBs: $54 million

@SI_PeterKing: The new Wilson deal includes a $31-million signing bonus, with approximately $60-million guaranteed.

Rap sheet is saying it is a 21 mill SB

Good deal for both parties. They lock in Wilson for four more years at a fair rate in my opinion. Wilson gets his guaranteed money, and another kick at the can while he is still in his prime. The Seahawks do not have to commit for so long that they are hamstrung of something goes wrong.

Good deal for both parties. They lock in Wilson for four more years at a fair rate in my opinion. Wilson gets his guaranteed money, and another kick at the can while he is still in his prime. The Seahawks do not have to commit for so long that they are hamstrung of something goes wrong.

yep, he didn't get the 25m per or highest paid label, but he gets another chomp at the apple at age 30. Nice.

great deal for Wilson, because at 30 (when the contract ends) he could sign another big deal. But Seattle must continue its formula of dominant defense with smash-mouth rushing to continue its success. Getting FA players will be difficult with Wilson's contract, so they must draft well.

Just a shade under $22M. Not bad.

1 million less than A. Rodgers. Rodgers seems like a steal.

great deal for Wilson, because at 30 (when the contract ends) he could sign another big deal. But Seattle must continue its formula of dominant defense with smash-mouth rushing to continue its success. Getting FA players will be difficult with Wilson's contract, so they must draft well.

1 million less than A. Rodgers. Rodgers seems like a steal.

Isn't that what they do?

so 4 year extension at $84m -- thats 4 years tacked on at that 21m average, but 5 years 85m is the real existing deal now, or did they tear up this year?

if the 5 years, great deal for seattle (would be 17m a year), if the 4 still could have been worse!

Edited by NoSaint

Isn't that what they do?

Yep and they must continue to. They have basically decided they are going to focus on a small group of cornerstone players. They are going to need to find even more cheap, solid contributors to continue to field a competitive roster.

Yep and they must continue to. They have basically decided they are going to focus on a small group of cornerstone players. They are going to need to find even more cheap, solid contributors to continue to field a competitive roster.

yup - the right 3 or 4 cornerstones with a good coach can typically keep a team in the playoffs most years, and the ones that hit on draft picks and discount free agents end up being the super bowl contenders

so 4 year extension at $84m -- thats 4 years tacked on at that 21m average, but 5 years 85m is the real existing deal now, or did they tear up this year?

if the 5 years, great deal for seattle (would be 17m a year), if the 4 still could have been worse!

Florio has just tweeted that it's a 4 year extension:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Per source, Russell Wilson deal is indeed a four-year extension; he's under contract for five years, at $89.1 million.

So, the Seahawks made out big. He's not even close to Rogers in terms of $$/year.

So basically Russell Wilson's deal is:

5 years, $89.1m at $17.8m per year.

That puts him 11th, just ahead of Matthew Stafford.

thats an embarassing tweet to have sent out

Florio has just tweeted that it's a 4 year extension:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Per source, Russell Wilson deal is indeed a four-year extension; he's under contract for five years, at $89.1 million.

So, the Seahawks made out big. He's not even close to Rogers in terms of $$/year.

So basically Russell Wilson's deal is:

5 years, $89.1m at $17.8m per year.

That puts him 11th, just ahead of Matthew Stafford.

thats what i was figuring based on the wording, but you never know for sure on the breaking reports. lower half of the top 10 qb, getting fringe top 10 pay (maybe a little discount for getting it a year early). seems really practical.