Russell Wilson and the Seahawks negotiations (update:signed)

YoloinOhio

This was a huge bargain for Seattle. This is a great deal by both parties. Wilson gets the security he wanted in the guaranteed money, Seattle gets the flexibility it wanted after seeing teams like SF pay big too early and a cap friend deal to help keep more of his teammates.

This is a total win-win for both Seattle and Wilson.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seattle's defense has been ranked FIRST in points allowed in each of RW's seasons. Manning had that happen once in his 13 with the Colts. Another time they were second, but other than that, they never go higher than 7.

Wanna bet?

Yup

something about being the highest player in the game i recall?

They are about to make him the highest paid player in the game. I think they know he's pretty good throwing the ball. If your reading were true they wouldn't even consider it.

something about being the highest player in the game i recall?

As expected and I predicted, the numbers would come out and both sides would argue which was most depending on their slant.

He gets 21.9 instead of 22, which is the most. And way more guaranteed. That's at the top of the league. If he played out this season and signed the same contract would you say it wasn't at the top? Both sides are cherry picking the best results as expected. You're saying it's 17m or so, which it's not. It's 21.9. At the top of the league.

As others are saying, it's a great, great deal for both sides, and they get what they want. Wilson is going to make an absolute killing in 5 years when he is 30, and starts out at 21.9 a year after his rookie deal. Not bad.

As expected and I predicted, the numbers would come out and both sides would argue which was most depending on their slant.

He gets 21.9 instead of 22, which is the most. And way more guaranteed. That's at the top of the league. If he played out this season and signed the same contract would you say it wasn't at the top? Both sides are cherry picking the best results as expected. You're saying it's 17m or so, which it's not. It's 21.9. At the top of the league.

As others are saying, it's a great, great deal for both sides, and they get what they want. Wilson is going to make an absolute killing in 5 years when he is 30, and starts out at 21.9 a year after his rookie deal. Not bad.

I believe the exact wording was "highest paid player in the game."

He's not.

So, I don't know, most would look at that and say "yeah, I was wrong about that."

I believe the exact wording was "highest paid player in the game."

He's not.

So, I don't know, most would look at that and say "yeah, I was wrong about that."

This year he is. Guaranteed money he is. Most people would say "yeah, that's highest paid player."

This year he is. Guaranteed money he is. Most people would say "yeah, that's highest paid player."

Hes not the highest paid player. Big Ben got $64 guaranteed and Kap got $61 million guaranteed. He's tied for 3rd with Newton at $60mil.

Not every player in the league signs a contract every single year. So, you have to go on the contract itself, not the year it was signed in relation to guaranteed money. He's tied for 3rd.

Hes not the highest paid player. Big Ben got $64 guaranteed and Kap got $61 million guaranteed. He's tied for 3rd with Newton at $60mil.

Not every player in the league signs a contract every single year. So, you have to go on the contract itself, not the year it was signed in relation to guaranteed money. He's tied for 3rd.

Fair enough. He's not the highest paid player. He's right at the top like most reasonable people expected. It's really a great compromise by both sides. Impressive to say the least.

calling it a 5 year deal isnt cherry picking. he is playing the next 5 years under the contract paying him $89m. if you want to say he signed a 4 year deal with 21m per, but it starts next year, well i guess, but i cant recall the last time ive heard a discussion framed that way.

calling it a 5 year deal isnt cherry picking. he is playing the next 5 years under the contract paying him $89m. if you want to say he signed a 4 year deal with 21m per, but it starts next year, well i guess, but i cant recall the last time ive heard a discussion framed that way.

Anyone can make the deal sound like what they want to. As I said above, if they didn't do this exact contract today, when he is not a FA, but did it at the end of the season instead, it would be a 21.9 a year and 60m guaranteed deal. Now, he just plays out his rookie deal as it is, he just gets his 60m bonus early. They are not ripping up his rookie deal, they are adding to it on the end. That's what makes it such a good smart deal for both sides.

Fair enough. He's not the highest paid player. He's right at the top like most reasonable people expected. It's really a great compromise by both sides. Impressive to say the least.

I agree, its an amazing deal for both people. Wilson gets the security, that he's earned, through guaranteed money and Seattle gets the flexibility it wanted with a shorter commitment in case he regresses (which I don't think that he will, he's the real deal to me).

In 4 years, if Wilson plays the way he has been or even gets better, he will challenge for highest paid player ever, including factoring in future contracts of other players like Luck over the next 4 years. If Wilson regresses or plateaus, Seattle will be able to move on or resign him to an appropriate deal.

IMO, over these 4 years, I really believe Seattle will see at least one more SB appearance, if not more. I have them as my favorites with the addition of Graham this year and GB a very close second to them.

I agree, its an amazing deal for both people. Wilson gets the security, that he's earned, through guaranteed money and Seattle gets the flexibility it wanted with a shorter commitment in case he regresses (which I don't think that he will, he's the real deal to me).

In 4 years, if Wilson plays the way he has been or even gets better, he will challenge for highest paid player ever, including factoring in future contracts of other players like Luck over the next 4 years. If Wilson regresses or plateaus, Seattle will be able to move on or resign him to an appropriate deal.

IMO, over these 4 years, I really believe Seattle will see at least one more SB appearance, if not more. I have them as my favorites with the addition of Graham this year and GB a very close second to them.

Tough to say between GB, Dallas, and Seattle. They're all good. Philly is a dark horse -- I think they have the potential to tear it up this year. The Giants and Saints have too many problems, and I don't trust the Cards or Carolina.

Edited by dave mcbride

Tough to say between GB, Dallas, and Seattle. They're all good.

I have Dallas quite a bit behind Seattle and Green Bay. They haven't had enough to get close the last couple years and I feel they, at least on paper, got worse this offseason. I am not one that thinks Murray was the next Emmit Smith, but he's definitely a better RB than McFadden and Randle IMO.

Dallas will be one of the better teams in the NFC I suspect, but I see them more in that 10 or 11 win range, I just don't see them getting out of the 2nd round of playoffs (assuming they even make the 2nd round). I actually like Arizona as the 3rd best team in NFC over Dallas (assuming they can stay healthy). I think teams like Dallas, Arizona, Philly, and Carolina are closely grouped in that next level. Not far behind them a few dark horse teams lurk in Atlanta, Minny, NYG, and NO that may be better than some people think. Dallas for me is one of those teams that wont get a first round bye and could be upset in the first round (based on preseason rankings). And if they make the 2nd round, I don't see them beating a potential foe like GB or Seattle (again assuming healthy teams).

man - Over $20Million for a QB that has passing stats in the middle of the pack?!?!

You mean for a QB who has:

1. Statistically the greatest 3 year start to a QB's career in NFL history?

2. Took a team who averaged less than 7 wins a season the 3 years before him, including consecutive 7 win seasons to 2 SB appearances, 1 SB trophy, and nearly a 2nd.

3. Increased the average wins per season by 5 wins during his first 3 years (12 a season).

4. Took a inept offense and turned into a diverse offense.

5. Helped Marshawn Lynch go from averaging 3.99 YPC during his career, including a 3.95 YPC in Seattle for 2 years, to a 4.65 YPC over the 3 years with Wilson.

6. Helped a defense become one of the best in NFL by dramatically improving the offense.

7. Dwarfs his more heralded college, Andrew Luck, in playoff performance.

8. Has never had a playoff rating less than 92 i his 3 years in the league while Luck has never had one over 80 despite both making the playoffs all the 3 years in the league.

9. Accomplished all of that with no real receiving threats on the team or major pass catching talent.

10. Is a TRUE dual threat QB who can beat you when WANTS to run, yet is dangerous as a passer too.

You mean that guy? If thats middle of the pack, then damn, I don't want mystical creature would be the leader of the pack. Big Ben was probably the most under appreciated QB I had seen in a long time until Wilson came around.

Middle of the pack...that means you feel half the NFLs starting QB's could be placed in Seattle and they still have AT LEAST the one SB win. That might be the most ridiculous thing I have seen on here about Wilson. I find it interesting that Luck gets all the respect, despite winning nothing. Luck gets all the excuses despite, like Peyton, dominating in the regular season but having a terrible playoff record. Luck is the savior, while this kid is getting the job done.

You see, I have heard this story before. For years, all I heard was that Brady wasnt really that good and Manning was so much better. Yet, Brady kept winning with substantially less offensive talent around him and Manning kept crapping the bed in the postseason and had NINE one and done in the playoffs...and thats despite having the best record in the NFL, first round byes, being one of the top 3 seeds, having home field advantage, playing in a dome, etc. Not to mention he had superior offensive weapons most of his career.

Now we have Wilson and Luck...came out same year. People want to diminish Wilson despite ignoring the very clear FACTS about just how good he really has, just how much better that team has been with him, etc. In todays generation of Madden players and FFL GM's, all they value TOTALS more than effectiveness, consistency, balance, winning, leading, etc. Wilson deserves this money and it was a good deal for both sides.

You mean for a QB who has:

1. Statistically the greatest 3 year start to a QB's career in NFL history?

2. Took a team who averaged less than 7 wins a season the 3 years before him, including consecutive 7 win seasons to 2 SB appearances, 1 SB trophy, and nearly a 2nd.

3. Increased the average wins per season by 5 wins during his first 3 years (12 a season).

4. Took a inept offense and turned into a diverse offense.

5. Helped Marshawn Lynch go from averaging 3.99 YPC during his career, including a 3.95 YPC in Seattle for 2 years, to a 4.65 YPC over the 3 years with Wilson.

6. Helped a defense become one of the best in NFL by dramatically improving the offense.

7. Dwarfs his more heralded college, Andrew Luck, in playoff performance.

8. Has never had a playoff rating less than 92 i his 3 years in the league while Luck has never had one over 80 despite both making the playoffs all the 3 years in the league.

9. Accomplished all of that with no real receiving threats on the team or major pass catching talent.

10. Is a TRUE dual threat QB who can beat you when WANTS to run, yet is dangerous as a passer too.

You mean that guy? If thats middle of the pack, then damn, I don't want mystical creature would be the leader of the pack. Big Ben was probably the most under appreciated QB I had seen in a long time until Wilson came around.

Middle of the pack...that means you feel half the NFLs starting QB's could be placed in Seattle and they still have AT LEAST the one SB win. That might be the most ridiculous thing I have seen on here about Wilson. I find it interesting that Luck gets all the respect, despite winning nothing. Luck gets all the excuses despite, like Peyton, dominating in the regular season but having a terrible playoff record. Luck is the savior, while this kid is getting the job done.

You see, I have heard this story before. For years, all I heard was that Brady wasnt really that good and Manning was so much better. Yet, Brady kept winning with substantially less offensive talent around him and Manning kept crapping the bed in the postseason and had NINE one and done in the playoffs...and thats despite having the best record in the NFL, first round byes, being one of the top 3 seeds, having home field advantage, playing in a dome, etc. Not to mention he had superior offensive weapons most of his career.

Now we have Wilson and Luck...came out same year. People want to diminish Wilson despite ignoring the very clear FACTS about just how good he really has, just how much better that team has been with him, etc. In todays generation of Madden players and FFL GM's, all they value TOTALS more than effectiveness, consistency, balance, winning, leading, etc. Wilson deserves this money and it was a good deal for both sides.

Thank you for saving me the trouble spell that out.

Yeah, but you should see him play sometime...

I have. He threw an INT on the last play to a place the ball should never have gone!!

:death:

I'm just bustin here guys relax . Still that is a lot of dough for 1 player.

I'll counter two points.

MAYBE the Defense helped him.

MAYBE the presence of BEAST MODE helped him.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I have. He threw an INT on the last play to a place the ball should never have gone!!

:death:

I'm just bustin here guys relax . Still that is a lot of dough for 1 player.

I'll counter two points.

MAYBE the Defense helped him.

MAYBE the presence of BEAST MODE helped him.

BEAST MODE pre Wilson: 3.99 YPC career average, 3.95 YPC in 2 years in Seattle.

BEAST MODE with Wilson 3 years: 4.65 YPC

Looks more like Wilson helped Beast Mode...yet people keep saying this myth of Lynch making Wilson.

Funny, Lynch was never considered Elite until Wilson came around. His future and role has been in doubt most years of his career until Wilson came and changed that offense.

Edited by Alphadawg7