Salary Cap Thread

eball

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't the Iggles pick up the tab for Kiko's contract? Or is that all ready figured in?

The Bills are responsible for a portion of Kiko's signing bonus that was already paid out.

The Bills need Iupati and then space for Dareus and Glenn . I don't know if they can still afford Hughes after the Mc Coy deal.

Not true; there are many ways the Bills can create additional space and no reason to fret. Their cap situation is very good.

As of this morning available space appears to be about 17.7M...without any cuts or restructures.

As it stands now without restructuring contracts/ releasing players and including the cost of their upcoming draft picks. The Bills will have $15,011,067 in cap space to use to upgrade and resign players, that won't even come close to getting those players signed.

As it stands now without restructuring contracts/ releasing players and including the cost of their upcoming draft picks. The Bills will have $15,011,067 in cap space to use to upgrade and resign players, that won't even come close to getting those players signed.

yes, yes it could. and it wouldnt be terribly complicated to structure.

did you know mike wallace, in his 5 year 60m contract only counted 3m against the cap in the first year? as an example of how hughes might not eat up a terrible amount.

and the cap has been speculated as going as high as 160m next year?

Edited by NoSaint

They can structure contracts to not use all $15M this year, plus that is still a lot of space....some vets will be released next week also. No need to panic. Bills don't seem to be. Why should the fans

It's simple, signing bonuses.

If Jerry Hughes signs let's say a 5 year $55 million contract with the Bills with $25 million guaranteed and the Bills make $15 million of that a signing bonus, that would mean that the $15 million gets spread over the 5 years of the contract. So $3 million against the cap per year, if they want to they could make his base salary a $1 million for the first year and then when the cap jumps next year make his base salary higher to reduce his dead cap amount. Make his base salary in 2016 $7 million with the $3 million signing bonus and the Bills have effectively gotten rid of 2/3's of Hughes guaranteed money.

So in year 1 Hughes would only count $4 million against the cap.They can do this with lots of players and do.

We should hire this guy as our GM. In all seriousness, what he proposes looks sound.

You honestly think this analyst knows more than Whaley? I also got a chuckle about their comment that Rex was already making the moves. Yes, I'm certain that Rex has written the menu for this banquet, but it's Doug who buys the ingredients. Whaley is the stealth GM of the NFL.

They can structure contracts to not use all $15M this year, plus that is still a lot of space....some vets will be released next week also. No need to panic. Bills don't seem to be. Why should the fans

Shirley, you can't be Sirius. A Bills fan's normal day starts by waking in a cold sweat, rising trembling from bed with a blinding headache. With early morning bathroom purges and ablutions completed, they somehow manage to get dressed and drag their self to the kitchen and scarf down a quick breakfast while reading the paper. Sully's article just further fouls their mood, and once finished, they tune in to watch the NFLNetwork in the vain hope that some slight reference to The Bills will unexpectedly pop up.

It hardly ever happens, so disgruntled - off to work they go, and tune in to WGR which they listen to at work. All the while a nagging, gnawing knot is tightening in their abdomen and between their ears. It's like flint striking steel that breeds sparks of illumination. Ideas of coaching hires, player trades and roster movements, and contract proposals begin to take form in their head inducing a cloud of fantasy that somehow breaths an idea - a faint light of hope of winning the off season and the positive thoughts of perennial promise that the up-coming season holds.

Then they get a text from The NFL that tells them their favorite player - or at least a key cog in their mentally contrived "Sure-fire way for The Bills to finally win" strategy has (reader's choice here) been:

Arrested and found in a compromising situation involving drugs/underage females/domestic abuse, and/or an automobile accident;

Waived, released, or traded to another of the 31 teams in the league for inappropriate compensation/the wrong player/nothing;

Had their contract extended by their existing team - thus negating the perfect... thee PERFECT trade that would very definitely put The Bills over the top;

So, unable to log in to TSW at work, they fester in a marinade of despair, waiting tortuous minutes as the second hand mocks their clock-watching skills, with a singular spite that screams, "YOU CAN'T LOG ON TO TSW!"

Then, with the shift whistle blows, it's "hats and coats time" and they finally are released from their work obligations and can sprint out the door, and race home pell-mell as fast as their Chevrolet/Toyota/Prius can be flogged.

Bursting into their home, they quickly fire up their PC and conjure up TBD and TSW so they can get into the latest thread on the daily topic of doom. All the while, they're kicking themselves for forgetting their Android/iPhone/whatever at home that day, because wouldn't ya know it... THEY could have been the one to have beaten Yolo to the punch and started the damn topic!

And Nucci you say, there's no need to panic. :bag:

You honestly think this analyst knows more than Whaley? I also got a chuckle about their comment that Rex was already making the moves. Yes, I'm certain that Rex has written the menu for this banquet, but it's Doug who buys the ingredients. Whaley is the stealth GM of the NFL.

Shirley, you can't be Sirius. A Bills fan's normal day starts by waking in a cold sweat, rising trembling from bed with a blinding headache. With early morning bathroom purges and ablutions completed, they somehow manage to get dressed and drag their self to the kitchen and scarf down a quick breakfast while reading the paper. Sully's article just further fouls their mood, and once finished, they tune in to watch the NFLNetwork in the vain hope that some slight reference to The Bills will unexpectedly pop up.

It hardly ever happens, so disgruntled - off to work they go, and tune in to WGR which they listen to at work. All the while a nagging, gnawing knot is tightening in their abdomen and between their ears. It's like flint striking steel that breeds sparks of illumination. Ideas of coaching hires, player trades and roster movements, and contract proposals begin to take form in their head inducing a cloud of fantasy that somehow breaths an idea - a faint light of hope of winning the off season and the positive thoughts of perennial promise that the up-coming season holds.

Then they get a text from The NFL that tells them their favorite player - or at least a key cog in their mentally contrived "Sure-fire way for The Bills to finally win" strategy has (reader's choice here) been:

Arrested and found in a compromising situation involving drugs/underage females/domestic abuse, and/or an automobile accident;

Waived, released, or traded to another of the 31 teams in the league for inappropriate compensation/the wrong player/nothing;

Had their contract extended by their existing team - thus negating the perfect... thee PERFECT trade that would very definitely put The Bills over the top;

So, unable to log in to TSW at work, they fester in a marinade of despair, waiting tortuous minutes as the second hand mocks their clock-watching skills, with a singular spite that screams, "YOU CAN'T LOG ON TO TSW!"

Then, with the shift whistle blows, it's "hats and coats time" and they finally are released from their work obligations and can sprint out the door, and race home pell-mell as fast as their Chevrolet/Toyota/Prius can be flogged.

Bursting into their home, they quickly fire up their PC and conjure up TBD and TSW so they can get into the latest thread on the daily topic of doom. All the while, they're kicking themselves for forgetting their Android/iPhone/whatever at home that day, because wouldn't ya know it... THEY could have been the one to have beaten Yolo to the punch and started the damn topic!

Great!! :lol:

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. And nice way to work in "pell-mell."

English is a cool language. More Americans should learn it.

----------

And to the thread topic, I'm not sure when I actually "decided" it, but Salary Cap stuff doesnt move my needle anymore. I cant remember the last time, if ever, that the Bills were in salary cap purgatory. If we're ever close to being forced to cut guys because we cant afford them, then I'll pay attention.

Carry on, Doug.

Edited by maddenboy

Yeah, Freddy is the tough one...he really looked like he was running in quicksand last year, but he's such a damn good guy and does so many of the little things well. He still always makes the first guy miss, blocks like a LT, and is dependable as hell.

I don't see him being released, but they need to get another high quality RB in that stable.

He's the best pass protecting RB period

Because teams sometimes make bad decisions...

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. And nice way to work in "pell-mell."

English is a cool language. More Americans should learn it.

----------

And to the thread topic, I'm not sure when I actually "decided" it, but Salary Cap stuff doesnt move my needle anymore. I cant remember the last time, if ever, that the Bills were in salary cap purgatory. If we're ever close to being forced to cut guys because we cant afford them, then I'll pay attention.

Carry on, Doug.

after the 99 season (or was it 2000?) they had to cut a bunch of legends to fit under the cap. Then a few years later, Sam Adams was a cap casualty.

They could restructure lots of players still Mario, woods,A Williams,K.Williams, get 4 million for each of them and they got a extra 16m. Then add the 4mil from restructureing Macoy and we got 20m. Add that to the 14m we already have.that's 34m to play with. No one is off limits for us.

I keep saying it but we should get Greg Hardy. Total stud

They could restructure lots of players still Mario, woods,A Williams,K.Williams, get 4 million for each of them and they got a extra 16m. Then add the 4mil from restructureing Macoy and we got 20m. Add that to the 14m we already have.that's 34m to play with. No one is off limits for us.

I keep saying it but we should get Greg Hardy. Total stud

They already have $20M...you restructure some of these vets you're in trouble in a few years...What happens to the $16M you're talking about. Where does it go? Just disappears?

Edited by nucci

They already have $20M...you restructure some of these vets you're in trouble in a few years...What happens to the $16M you're talking about. Where does it go? Just disappears?

I disagree, if we give them the same deal they already have,but give them some cash up front, we can shave a few mill off each. We would only get in trouble if they all suck at the same time.

I just read this. :lol: :lol:

Well !@#$ing done. :beer::lol:

Hey Cap Gurus, how much roll over do we have this year? I know that can't roll over twice so just trying to see what our rollover might be next year.

According to Spotrac, our rollover from last season is $2.65M which is included in the $18.43M cap space we have(includes projected rookie caps).

There was debate about whether rollover monies could re-rollover......but that has been firmly settled. Rollover monies can re-roll as often as a team wants.

According to Spotrac, our rollover from last season is $2.65M which is included in the $18.43M cap space we have(includes projected rookie caps).

There was debate about whether rollover monies could re-rollover......but that has been firmly settled. Rollover monies can re-roll as often as a team wants.

Not sure if this goes here. But is it absurd for me to think the bills should spend about 10 mil this year and roll the other 10 to next year to sign our own guys back?

Basically I think that means Iupati, Hughes, or Revis only. Or a few role players. That 10 mil basically pays Dareus next year, basically just adding his salary of 8 this year to that roll over. That should leave us with the same money-ish we have now and can get done at least 2 of the 3 in Gilmore Bradham and Glenn on top of Marcel.

There is a lot of talk about the ability to restructure. That just delays the inevitable I think.

Edited by Mango

Not sure if this goes here. But is it absurd for me to think the bills should spend about 10 mil this year and roll the other 10 to next year to sign our own guys back?

Basically I think that means Iupati, Hughes, or Revis only. Or a few role players. That 10 mil basically pays Dareus next year, basically just adding his salary of 8 this year to that roll over. That should leave us with the same money-ish we have now and can get done at least 2 of the 3 in Gilmore Bradham and Glenn on top of Marcel.

There is a lot of talk about the ability to restructure. That just delays the inevitable I think.

until you deal with it in numbers, its kind of pointless to speculate or strategize. you are proposing that they roll over more money without looking at the situation beyond "if guys need raises we cant spend more" and not seeing existing changes in hits, expiring contracts, potential cuts, the possibile 15m cap increase, structuring some of the deals to hit heavier post mario etc....

So, considering Shady's and Jerry's new deals does anyone know how much space we actually have left entering tomorrow with and without FJ on the roster? Thanks if you do.

not exactly but if Fred is released along with probably Urbik and Chris Williams, probably $15-$20M

before Jerry's #'s figured in

$18,429,067 Cap Space (w/Top 51 & Projected Draft Pool) - I was looking for this

$21,672,282 Cap Space (w/Top 51)

Spotrac still hasn't updated for the Jerry deal.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

21.6m before his deal, though.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

$12,764,067 including estimated draft costs.

remember, the top 51 matters in the offseason and might only include a couple draft picks come draft day (and they will be replacing existing dollars in the calculation; not a full bump)

if all draft picks make the roster, thats likely not a bad thing for our cap number - picking at 50 for our first pick and all

Edited by NoSaint

remember, the top 51 matters in the offseason and might only include a couple draft picks come draft day (and they will be replacing existing dollars in the calculation; not a full bump)

if all draft picks make the roster, thats likely not a bad thing for our cap number - picking at 50 for our first pick and all

Cap Space (w/Top 51) $16,007,282 FYI

Cap Space (w/Top 51) $16,007,282 FYI

makes sense - and a product of what i was saying, really..... which should have made it obvious for me to catch

hughes replaces a 500k guy, so his 6.1m is only a 5.6m drop in the calculation.

And then you have to account for draft pool...so it's the 12.7M number Dorkington referred to above.

but you dont fully - as only 1-2 guys in that will count in the top 51 probably, and they will be replacing guys already at 500k.

Edited by NoSaint

I know. he mentioned the 51 so .....

I did make mention of the rookie #'s today post 108

It's probably for our purposes the less accurate number to use though as they will be 500k guys replacing 500k guys in the calculation Edited by NoSaint

Hey Cap Gurus, how much roll over do we have this year? I know that can't roll over twice so just trying to see what our rollover might be next year.

We currently have $38 million in cap room next year, and that doesn't account for the cap increasing. If we don't sign anyone else we should be looking at $50 million in space.