Mike Williams' agent to meet with 6 teams in Indy

YoloinOhio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone screwed up when it came to Mike Williams. The RZ offense had been bad under St. Doug. They go out and acquire a productive RZ target in MW and don't use him.

Remember that story about Marrone storming out of the draft room when the Sammy Watkins trade was made? It's now become reported that Marrone wasn't pissed about the trade, Lee Smith was, and Marrone just ran out into the hallway to assuage Smith's fears that he wouldn't see the field as much and that Watkins was going to steal a lot of Smith's targets on game day. Marrone just basically convinced him "I got you covered. Don't worry. We're not going to let this Watkins joker disrupt our offense and plans."

Let me know when you get off your high horse.

What's the difference between a pony, low horse, horse, and high horse?

Remember that story about Marrone storming out of the draft room when the Sammy Watkins trade was made? It's now become reported that Marrone wasn't pissed about the trade, Lee Smith was, and Marrone just ran out into the hallway to assuage Smith's fears that he wouldn't see the field as much and that Watkins was going to steal a lot of Smith's targets on game day. Marrone just basically convinced him "I got you covered. Don't worry. We're not going to let this Watkins joker disrupt our offense and plans."

This is true?

I don't want to go overboard on Marrone bashing. So I'll stick with facts on the record.

-Mike Williams and Marrone have a falling out while at Syracuse. The exact way it went is contentious.

-Mike williams averages over 800 yards and 7 TD a year with non optimal QB play in TB.

- In offseason of 2014 Mike gets traded.

-Mike Williams, despite his prior success cannot beat out Chris hogan on the depth chart.

- In four games, MW averaged 33.3 YPG. Hogan would average 26.6 all year.

Now, it's possible that Marrone's personal feelings played no part. But as Roman said recently (paraphrased) "the best indicator of future success is past performance". Several years of success preceded MW before he came to Buffalo. Even in a limited role he had better numbers than Hogan. His big TD against Houston showed the he was an able route runner, and had good speed to go with his size.

Personal opinion: either Marrone went entirely by football sense and got rid of a talented player because he was a bad judge of talent or Marrone let a vendetta get in the way of his team's performance. Either way, I see it as a mistake.

I don't want to go overboard on Marrone bashing. So I'll stick with facts on the record.

-Mike Williams and Marrone have a falling out while at Syracuse. The exact way it went is contentious.

-Mike williams averages over 800 yards and 7 TD a year with non optimal QB play in TB.

-Mike Williams, despite his prior success cannot beat out Chris hogan on the depth chart.

Now, it's possible that Marrone's personal feelings played no part. But as Roman said recently (paraphrased) "the best indicator of future success is past performance". Several years of success preceded MW before he came to Buffalo. Even in a limited role he had better numbers than Hogan. His big TD against Houston showed the he was an able route runner, and had good speed to go with his size.

Personal opinion: either Marrone went entirely by football sense and got rid of a talented player because he was a bad judge of talent or Marrone let a vendetta get in the way of his team's performance. Either way, I see it as a mistake.

It's hard to give Marrone the benefit of the doubt anymore. There very well may have been some issues we're not aware of, but at the end of the day, Marrone failed to solve those issues. Good coaches find a way to get the most out of their players, including role players. Dare I say, like Rex has done his entire career,

His big TD was the result of a broken play. Speed and route running?

MW was a serious threat in Tampa. He was money. This smells of a vendetta against him from Marrone. Too bad he won't get a chance as i bet he goes to a team who gives him a real chance and he ends up as a solid #2.

It appears to be a combination of factors regarding Marrone and Mike Williams:

1. While Mike Williams played some spots in special teams he would not be considered a regular special teams player and Hogan was; if Mike Williams was active someone else would need to have been inactive

2. The OL rarely gave QB much time and Mike Williams in general was not a short range target; in the few games he played he did block well on WR screens however but Bills rarely ran then which again points to OL

3. Who is active in game plans is a combination of skill, synchronization with QB and game plan. Game plans seemed to work (WRs were open) but QB was rarely in position to throw with pressure. The catches Hogan were making, and yes many of the were on wrong side of 1st down marker, were not type Williams would typically make. Hogan was used as an outlet WR and that is not role MW typically played.

4. There was obvious friction between Marrone and MW but not positive it was personality. I think it was similar to what was between Marrone and Evans in training camp until Evans seemed yo 'get it'.

5. MW seemed to be SJ lite with little things designed to show off / tick off and not great route running. With SJ and Fitzpatrick it worked out because Fitzpatrick was bright enough to figure out where SJ was going to adjust to and we saw it many times where SJ would go completely off route and ball would appear in area SJ adjusted route to. I did not see this communication between MW and any of QBs who threw to him.

Basically despite Mike Williams threat as a red zone catcher none of the rest of the game plans matched up with him well. He had a few plays some due to broken coverage and blocked well but that is about all he did for Bills in 2014.

MW was a serious threat in Tampa. He was money. This smells of a vendetta against him from Marrone. Too bad he won't get a chance as i bet he goes to a team who gives him a real chance and he ends up as a solid #2.

naw hes a three or a four>

I hope the Bills take a look at him.

if the hammy is healed and he can run again he offers some situational advantages.

marroone screwed the offense in so many ways its astounding.

And i was a fan.

It appears to be a combination of factors regarding Marrone and Mike Williams:

1. While Mike Williams played some spots in special teams he would not be considered a regular special teams player and Hogan was; if Mike Williams was active someone else would need to have been inactive

2. The OL rarely gave QB much time and Mike Williams in general was not a short range target; in the few games he played he did block well on WR screens however but Bills rarely ran then which again points to OL

3. Who is active in game plans is a combination of skill, synchronization with QB and game plan. Game plans seemed to work (WRs were open) but QB was rarely in position to throw with pressure. The catches Hogan were making, and yes many of the were on wrong side of 1st down marker, were not type Williams would typically make. Hogan was used as an outlet WR and that is not role MW typically played.

4. There was obvious friction between Marrone and MW but not positive it was personality. I think it was similar to what was between Marrone and Evans in training camp until Evans seemed yo 'get it'.

5. MW seemed to be SJ lite with little things designed to show off / tick off and not great route running. With SJ and Fitzpatrick it worked out because Fitzpatrick was bright enough to figure out where SJ was going to adjust to and we saw it many times where SJ would go completely off route and ball would appear in area SJ adjusted route to. I did not see this communication between MW and any of QBs who threw to him.

Basically despite Mike Williams threat as a red zone catcher none of the rest of the game plans matched up with him well. He had a few plays some due to broken coverage and blocked well but that is about all he did for Bills in 2014.

Good points regarding the game plans and types of throws that were there to be made. Do you mean Woods not Evans? I do think there was something going on behind the scenes with MW as well. I do wonder what Whaley's perception of the whole thing was and who he holds accountable - maybe both.