Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me this isn't as much about the player, McCown, as it is about the front office and mindset.

I'm not a huge McCown fan but he's a decent back-up. His signing would make our team significantly better today, the same way that Incognito's signing did. Now, if the Bills were going to think to themselves after the RI signing, okay we got a new starter, now let's try to fix other positions, I would not have been happy. But that is apparently not the case, as afterwards Rex made it clear that they were going after another guy and probably a starter.

If that is what is going on with the QB I am all for this. I know we will bring in at least one other guy. Now a guy like Locker isnt a bad option. Or try to make a trade for a starter knowing it probably will be tough but at least you have a fall back plan.

If that's the idea I am on board. If it's 2015 is the year of EJ and McCown and a longshot 3 not so much.

But he's 10x better than Tuel and if he signs we have two players that can at least possibly play the position in a regular season game.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that this offers flexibility if we ever wanted to include EJ in some trades. If the front office really has grand plans, they may including bundling EJ with other pieces. In that case we will need someone on the roster as a backup. McCown could be that guy.

Is he an upgrade over Tuel? You have 2 QBs currently on your roster and neither has impressed. At worst he is a vet that is smart and has had some (albeit minimal) success in the league.

When I factor in that he will cost the Bills somewhere between 2-4 million dollars (maybe more), I would rather have Tuel. If we are going to target these type of guys at the QB position I would rather spend the money on Sanchez (sigh).

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Something I haven't seen mentioned is that this offers flexibility if we ever wanted to include EJ in some trades. If the front office really has grand plans, they may including bundling EJ with other pieces. In that case we will need someone on the roster as a backup. McCown could be that guy.

Not sure that is what they are doing but you make a very good point.

Not sure that is what they are doing but you make a very good point.

Yea Im obviously not sure either but I was just thinking. Just as an example, remember when we drafted EJ there were reports that Chip liked him. Perhaps we send some mid round picks and EJ to the Eagles for Foles. Having McCown allows them to make that deal comfortably. I havent really thought this trough completely but its an example.

I like the McCown move but only because of timing. It's much easier to bring him on board now, a month before FA starts, then further address the position in open FA and potentially the draft.

Basically sign McCown now and tell him he's got a real chance to compete for the job. Then he's under contract and we can talk to the Mallet/Hoyer/Moore/Sanchez/Locker class of FA and tell them they've got a real chance to compete too. That leaves us with 3 guys to hope for competence to emerge. On the flip side, if we just hit FA with EJ it will likely be very difficult to simultaniously negoiate with two FA QBs and we risk not getting any of them.

I also agree and like this option. My question would be, does that mean we don't take a QB in the draft as we may not have room for a flyer type QB on the roster and probably would get scooped up off our practice squad? Unless, cutting EJ, McCown or the other FA is an option? Thoughts?

When I factor in that he will cost the Bills somewhere between 2-4 million dollars (maybe more), I would rather have Tuel. If we are going to target these type of guys at the QB position I would rather spend the money on Sanchez (sigh).

Fair enough, I'm not dying for the guy either but I am fine for a few million (same with Sanchez). The postion needs to be upgraded and the options aren't great. The Bills need to get lucky with the QB.

@ProFootballTalk: Vic Carucci also reports that numbers were not discussed between the Bills and Josh McCown. "Strictly a visit," Carucci said.

McCown is a big fan of bad hockey. Couldn't pass up a chance to see Flyers @ Sabres.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'm not sure what all the consternation is about. McCown is't good. He's not the franchise QB we're all looking for. Everyone understands that.

But if he's better than Jeff Tuel, then he upgrades our weak QB roster. If he can be had reasonably cheap, why is that a bad thing?

No one says we can't cut him later if we locate better options.