Jerry Rice admits to using stickum

YoloinOhio

The only people acting "holier than thou" are the guys that have been yelling "cheaters" all over the board. I have been exactly the opposite.

It's fallen apart, and you guys were invested in this crusade, so now your bitterness is turned to the opposition.

It's only fair for me to gloat after the abuse that was directed at me. Surely you guys wouldn't go easy on me if this "scandal" went the distance.

Whiners.

What's fallen apart? The pats cheated. They've cheated in multiple ways for multiple years. How does something Jerry Rice did, or any other player, have to do with that?

Or are you contending that the entire league cheats; therefore, we should ignore it all and just let them all keep on cheating?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people acting "holier than thou" are the guys that have been yelling "cheaters" all over the board. I have been exactly the opposite.

It's fallen apart, and you guys were invested in this crusade, so now your bitterness is turned to the opposition.

It's only fair for me to gloat after the abuse that was directed at me. Surely you guys wouldn't go easy on me if this "scandal" went the distance.

Whiners.

Bitterness? Are you out of your mind? Bitterness? A guy starts a thread about Jerry Rice and you plop your tinfoil hat on and make a pronouncement about Bills fans & the history of the NFL and we're the bitter ones? As I said earlier, your shtick is old and tired.

What's fallen apart? The pats cheated. They've cheated in multiple ways for multiple years. How does something Jerry Rice did, or any other player, have to do with that?

Or are you contending that the entire league cheats; therefore, we should ignore it all and just let them all keep on cheating?

He's good at being ridiculous but I think his point that isn't totally unreasonable is that a lot of posters went on a bender about how "the pats are the only team to ever do anything EVER and it makes then the most morally bankrupt in the history of the game and they'd probably be 3-13 without it" style rants.

You shouldn't excuse it if everyone does it, but it's certainly context to be aware of when discussing impact and effects of legacy

Is anyone surprised by this?

Rice had a lot of trouble catching the ball early in his career so I don't see how anyone can be surprised by this or that he is the only one to do so. I'm sure just about every received who wore gloves was just as guilty

Edited by Max997

Maybe some Bills fans can investigate ALL the Super Bowl winning teams, and if they can find evidence of cheating (Stickum, deflated balls, stolen signals, greased-up uniforms, etc), they can claim that our squeaky clean Bills are "The Greatest of All-Time" by default.

Oh, you're going to use Jerry Rice's actions in defense of the Patriots*? I'm shocked!!!

When a player breaks the rules, it is just that: a player breaking the rules. Jerry Rice cheated. That's what it is. When an organization breaks the rules, it is systemic to that organization. And, even if you can prove that every team cheats (you can't), so what? We ALL cheat on our taxes. But, there's still a big damn difference between me and Bernie Madoff.

He's good at being ridiculous but I think his point that isn't totally unreasonable is that a lot of posters went on a bender about how "the pats are the only team to ever do anything EVER and it makes then the most morally bankrupt in the history of the game and they'd probably be 3-13 without it" style rants.

You shouldn't excuse it if everyone does it, but it's certainly context to be aware of when discussing impact and effects of legacy

I would say that it is HoF who consistently lacks context. And, while certainly quite a few Patriots*-hating posters were rather gleeful in their condemnation of the Pats*, I don't recall any assertions that they represent the only cheating ever done in the league.

Indeed, it is the very context of their cheating that places a permanent asterisk on their legacy. As I mentioned above: We all cheat on our taxes. But, in context, there is a difference between me fudging my receipts, and Bernie Madoff not reporting hundreds of millions in income. By focusing on things like the Jets' "wall of humanity" (a one-time event that led to the immediate suspension of the offending party), or Jerry Rice's recent admission of stickum on his gloves (regardless of whether "everyone did it"), or the numerous other instances of cheating that has taken place in the NFL, it is those who use such arguments in defense of the Patriots* who are denying the context of the Patriots systemic actions.

It is the context that impacts, and effects the Patriots* legacy.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Is anyone surprised by this?

Rice had a lot of trouble catching the ball wary in his career so I don't see how anyone can be surprised by this or that he is the only one to do so. I'm sure just about every received who wore gloves was just as guilty

So what you're saying is...that if T.J. Graham had played 25 years ago and used stickum he could have been awesome? (more awesome depending on the poster's opinion of T.J. Graham)

So what you're saying is...that if T.J. Graham had played 25 years ago and used stickum he could have been awesome? (more awesome depending on the poster's opinion of T.J. Graham)

How exactly did I say that?

More importantly how would stickum help a guy who tries catching everything in his stomach?

Your shtick it tired & old. We get it, you, Jim in Anchorage and a few others are holier than the rest of us. Does anyone doubt this?

So anyone who has a different option then you is holier then the rest, wears foil hats and is just looking for attention? You really encourage a lively discussion. Like looking at Cuban voting results.

This is just plain silly. It is like Wayne "Doofus" Gretzky coming out after No-Goal saying that "when he played it would have been a goal." You idiot Wayne, it was a rule that you couldn't be in the crease and score a goal in 1998-1999. Who gives a poo what Rice did and never got caught. Stickum was legal and they still market/make the stuff. It was Lester Hayes that covered his whole body in it.

BTW... You can still use pine tar in baseball... You just can't take a bath in it or have it too far up the bat. (George Brett).

The NFL really needs to clean up its rules, it is becoming way too Bush League.

Whiners.

You're kidding yourself if you think you've heard the last of this.

The Ted Wells report hasn't come out yet. They wanted to have it come out well after the Super Bowl, and that's what'll happen. We'll see at that point what the details are and what the repercussions will be.

Maybe some Bills fans can investigate ALL the Super Bowl winning teams, and if they can find evidence of cheating (Stickum, deflated balls, stolen signals, greased-up uniforms, etc), they can claim that our squeaky clean Bills are "The Greatest of All-Time" by default.

It doesn't have anything to do with the Bills.

I thought it was interesting that Rice admitted to cheating the same month he criticized the Pats for cheating.

Whiners.

I agree with you man. I'm sick of the whining. I get it. The Pats had a few under inflated balls and destroyed the Colts by 40 points. Yea, it was because of the football. Not because one team was far superior.

And did anyone know the Pats used a new set up balls in the 2nd half after the Colts complained. I think they got outscored by like 27 points in the 2nd half. But the Patriots cheat!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!! I'm gonna cry myself to sleep :cry::cry::cry:

I agree with you man. I'm sick of the whining. I get it. The Pats had a few under inflated balls and destroyed the Colts by 40 points. Yea, it was because of the football. Not because one team was far superior.

And did anyone know the Pats used a new set up balls in the 2nd half after the Colts complained. I think they got outscored by like 27 points in the 2nd half. But the Patriots cheat!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!! I'm gonna cry myself to sleep :cry::cry::cry:

of course they do, they're rotten to the core. Bellichick is a sociopath, root for him, make excuses for him all you want, but he will live and die as an incurable sociopath.

I have no patience for cheaters or their lame excuses they and their apologists make. I live in Patriots territory, and the past few weeks I've heard all the excuses that will be trotted out to justify Jerry Rice's lies. "Everyone does it"; "It doesn't matter"; "It's not true"; "If you complain you're naive and/or a whiner." Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong, Jerry Rice, Tom Brady...They're all happy to accept their awards and bask in the glory they wouldn't have experienced without cheating to get ahead of their peers. Strip him of his records and kick him out of the Hall of Fame. That might get the attention of the budding cheaters out there.