All Things Incognito (Richie returns, signs contract)

RalphOP83

Yeah, the texts do more to exonerate RI more than anything, while the groping was obviously a result of his drunkenness, which hopefully has either been addressed by RI or in his contract. As for the Asian-American trainer, I don't know the context and if the trainer even took offense to what they were saying.

BB may call me on too much pasting, but its just one section of a long article on a lot of topics worth a click.....

Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey admitted that they directed racially derogatory words toward him, including "Jap" and "Chinaman." At times, according to Martin, they referred to the Assistant Trainer as a "dirty communist" or a "North Korean," made demands such as "give me some water you !@#$ing chink," spoke to him in a phony, mocking Asian accent, including asking for "rubby rubby sucky sucky," and called his mother a "rub and tug masseuse." Martin and others informed us that Incognito and Jerry taunted the Assistant Trainer with jokes about having sex with his girlfriend. Incognito admitted that these types of comments were made to the Assistant Trainer.

On December 7, 2012 (the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor), Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey donned traditional Japanese headbands that featured a rising sun emblem and jokingly threatened to harm the Assistant Trainer physically in retaliation for the Pearl Harbor attack. Martin reported that the Assistant Trainer confided to him that he was upset about the Pearl Harbor prank, finding it derogatory and demeaning.

http://deadspin.com/the-worst-stuff-from-the-dolphins-investigation-updati-1522846626

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just read all the texts (and I inadvertently opened the link in an incognito window, interestingly enough) and it's no wonder Richie felt blindsided by the whole thing. I don't see one thing in there that my friends and I wouldn't say to each other.

did you even read the text message exchange? educate yourself before you take such a stance. the exchange between the two players was nothing but normal locker room banter. the "sexually explicit remarks" and homophobic slurs had a humorous undertone. of course it was completely crude and politically incorrect but show me some 20 something year olds that don't talk like that with their friends. from the text messages it was clear Incognito and Martin were friends. they would text each other all of the time and ask to hang out and go to the movies or go to dinner etc. there were explicit things said on both ends but neither intended it to be public knowledge. after reading the texts i have a whole new understanding of the relationship and situation and i feel like Incognito definitely deserves a chance to play in this league

texts--> https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/ritojm2.pdf

I don't know have you read the whole report? http://ht.cdn.turner.com/si/images/2014/02/14/PaulWeissReport.pdf

I don't think the whole thing can be white washed away as locker room banter. That being said, I think if Martin had just grown a set and stood up for himself, none of this would have happened.

Incognito is clearly an A-hole. But, my guess is that NFL locker rooms are full of guys like him. I've met Darryl Talley back in the 90's and I could totally see him doing crap like this. Incognito is a good football player. If he causes problems in the locker room, Rex will kick him to the curb. If he doesn't cause problems, our O-Line just got a whole lot better.

BB may call me on too much pasting, but its just one section of a long article on a lot of topics worth a click.....

http://deadspin.com/the-worst-stuff-from-the-dolphins-investigation-updati-1522846626

Typical locker room stuff from a bunch of meat-heads. Guys used to crack jokes like that in the locker room in high school and say how they were going to get with so and so's mother or sister or so and so is acting "gay" or like a wimp. To the outside world it would have sounded terrible, especially if it was posted in a newspaper or on a website. But it was just guys being guys. Can't take this stuff literally. I'm sure that's the culture in a lot of NFL locker rooms. Guys trading insults and laughing it off. Martin was overly sensitive apparently and I think if the guys knew how serious it was they would have stopped. They thought it was all in good fun. I've been guilty of being overly sensitive about certain things in the past and I would just try and laugh it off knowing that it wasn't personal. I think if the guys knew how much it hurt Martin's feelings they would have backed off. They thought it was all in good fun and that he could take it because he was laughing with them. I think if you talked to Richie he would say that now he understands you can't be like that with certain people and he will know in the future to back off. I think it's more of a situation that got out of hand than an actual bullying situation. They thought they were all best friends just joking around. With good leadership on your team like Fred or Eric I think this kind of stuff will get squashed before it gets out of hand

Cowherd weighing in - said he believes in guys getting multiple chances because he has served a very long punishment. He doesn't like him, he makes mistakes, but why shouldn't he be allowed back in nfl. Doesn't like Rex though because he set it up poorly (build a bully). I don't think that was intentional regarding RI but it does sound bad.

Schlereth on now - says he has no issue with it either. Good player, redemption, all players are morons, he went over the line. He says the bully line by Rex doesn't bother him because it's just football vernacular. Common in the locker room, understood that word is used in the nfl. The "bully" word doesn't sit well with some people but really just refers to a physical, intimidating style of football.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I haven't read but a few pages of this thread so excuse me if this is repeated what others have said.

I have two hesitations with this signing.

1) He's been out of football for 1 1/2 years. Can he still play at his usual above average level?

2) Reports say that they're paying him a one year deal worth north of $2M. The league minimum for a 9 year vet is something like $950K. With no interest in Incognito at all last year why pay him anything other than the league min with perhaps some extra money he can earn if he meets certain criteria? The Bills seem to love to bid against themselves. They did it with Chris Williams last year too. Granted, $2M for a starting G isn't a lot but still, why pay more than you need to?

I haven't read but a few pages of this thread so excuse me if this is repeated what others have said.

I have two hesitations with this signing.

1) He's been out of football for 1 1/2 years. Can he still play at his usual above average level?

2) Reports say that they're paying him a one year deal worth north of $2M. The league minimum for a 9 year vet is something like $950K. With no interest in Incognito at all last year why pay him anything other than the league min with perhaps some extra money he can earn if he meets certain criteria? The Bills seem to love to bid against themselves. They did it with Chris Williams last year too. Granted, $2M for a starting G isn't a lot but still, why pay more than you need to?

the contract details haven't been released. Not sure how much is guaranteed or what the parameters are. The total was likely leaked by the agent. It could be max 2.25.

I stick to the football. It's entertainment. I don't care about these players off the field because most don't care about fans either. I don't know them personally, they don't know me. Their personal business is their personal business.

I was through with Marshawn Lynch not because of what he did off the field it's what he was doing on the field.

Typical locker room stuff from a bunch of meat-heads. Guys used to crack jokes like that in the locker room in high school and say how they were going to get with so and so's mother or sister or so and so is acting "gay" or like a wimp. To the outside world it would have sounded terrible, especially if it was posted in a newspaper or on a website. But it was just guys being guys. Can't take this stuff literally. I'm sure that's the culture in a lot of NFL locker rooms. Guys trading insults and laughing it off. Martin was overly sensitive apparently and I think if the guys knew how serious it was they would have stopped. They thought it was all in good fun. I've been guilty of being overly sensitive about certain things in the past and I would just try and laugh it off knowing that it wasn't personal. I think if the guys knew how much it hurt Martin's feelings they would have backed off. They thought it was all in good fun and that he could take it because he was laughing with them. I think if you talked to Richie he would say that now he understands you can't be like that with certain people and he will know in the future to back off. I think it's more of a situation that got out of hand than an actual bullying situation. They thought they were all best friends just joking around. With good leadership on your team like Fred or Eric I think this kind of stuff will get squashed before it gets out of hand

that wasnt directed at martin, but at an assistant trainer that was seemingly not a part of their antics. i get the distinction you are making among friends, and we would all hate our private joking around conversations scrutinized, but i think doing it to a low level team employee is a different beast to discuss.

not saying ban the guy, but was pointing out that its a seperate thing

can't wait to hear Kim Pegula explain this away....

what an embarrassment !!

The NFL investigation accused Incognito and two former teammates of a pattern of harassment that included racial and homophobic slurs. The report said Martin was taunted with “sexually explicit remarks about his sister and mother.” An Asian-American trainer was subjected to “racially derogatory language.” he was accused of fondling a female volunteer in a drunken episode at a Dolphins charity golf tournament three years ago.

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/jerry-sullivan/incognito-deserves-another-shot-at-nfl-career-20150208

but hey, let's look the other way, richie is a huge upgrade at a position of need. he makes us better.

could only imagine the comments had NE or the Jets given richie another chance.

She is the owner

She doesnt have to explain it away

Great pickup. Needed to address the porous O line play from a year ago. That was an absolute train wreck.

So the guy is an a-hole. Aside from Martin, all of his team mates said he was a leader on the team and a guy that would have their back whenever needed.

He is the type of player you need on the O-line and especially needed on this team with the direction they want to go pounding the rock.

Some of you comparing to him Vick, OJ... please just stop.

Low money last chance in the league on a new team trying to prove himself and make a living... very low risk.

And good job TBD ripping the OP for his call on this. Keep those apology's coming... Props to Ralph.