Bill still seeking to fill advisory roll - Ron Hill possible

Reed83HOF

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/28/bills-still-seeking-fill-advisory-role/

"Despite being turned down by Bill Polian, the Buffalo Bills are still very much in the market to hire someone to advise them on football matters...According to NFL sources, the Bills now are looking at someone who doesn't have Polian's lofty stature, yet possesses the experience to provide guidance to GM Doug Whaley when it comes to evaluating talent."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what changed from the time Polian was ready to agree to come on to now. He said because the coach and QB left. Well we have a new coach now who is going to be here for many years to come and we always needed a new QB, Orton wasn't going to be our guy past this coming season no matter what.

It sounds like Polian had some kind of allegiance to Doug or something and once he was gone then he decided against it. I can't think of anyone better than Polian to take this position so I'm kind of bummed (ok maybe Parcels)

No egomaniacs please, I'm grateful for all the things Polian did for the Bills but I think he's not the right guy Pegula's Bills right now. I don't know much about Hill but if he is respected and can connect with the three existing parts (owner, coach and GM) without the necessity of measuring dicks in every discussion, I'm all for it.

Polian wanted Chris Polian to replace Whaley. My guess is Marrone heard the local media bad mouthing Chris Polian and told Bill. Rumors already starting that Marrone and Chris Polian are a packaged deal next year. We really lucked out IMO.

Pegula looking for his version of Craig Patrick who he hired with the Sabres. Ron Hill fits the mold. He has huge NFL ties and knows how this league works.

Ron Hill sees regional combines as development arm of NFL

Ron Hill has worked for 35 years with NFL teams and the league office. His career started when he was hired by Gil Brandt as a scout in 1979 and spanned several teams during the past few decades, working under such coaches as Tom Landry, Tom Coughlin and Dan Reeves.

He joined NFL headquarters in 2006 as the league's vice president of football operations. He got involved in a new business venture called "regional combines" four years ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338410/article/ron-hill-sees-regional-combines-as-development-arm-of-nfl

Edited by Beerball
Too much pasted material

Polian wanted Chris Polian to replace Whaley. My gess is Marronethe local media bad mouthing Chris Polian and told Bill. Rumors already starting that Marrone and Chris Polian are a packaged deal next year. We really lucked ot IMO.

Pegula looking for his version of Craig Patrick who he hired with the Sabres. Ron Hill fits the mold. He has huge NFL ties and knows how this league works.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338410/article/ron-hill-sees-regional-combines-as-development-arm-of-nfl

Good analogy of the Craig Patrick hire. I think that kind of guy and hire and advisory position is exactly what they are looking for.

The idea of having a very experienced guy to advise the Pegulas in their first foray into NFL ownership is an excellent one -- ideally this is someone who won't have his own separate agenda in mind when assessing the situation. Ron Hill certainly has a crapload of experience.

The idea of having a very experienced guy to advise the Pegulas in their first foray into NFL ownership is an excellent one -- ideally this is someone who won't have his own separate agenda in mind when assessing the situation. Ron Hill certainly has a crapload of experience.

I remember when the Browns hired him over the summer it was looked at as a very positive hire, but never bothered to look him up. I did this morning and was also really impressed with what he would bring to the table as far as what the Pegulas actually need/don't need at this point. Hope it happens. I like Bill Polian but I think the "name" would take over.

Interesting that the NFL itself has sort of pushed the idea of a consultant/czar.

My take is that the Bills initiated the conversation.

Pegula just hired an entire coaching staff. What would such an advisor do at this point?

Rex did, yes. Hill would mentor Whaley.