Kurt Warner questions legitimacy of NE's SB win over Rams

YoloinOhio

It sounds like sour grapes now, like he's piling on. Why would it take this ball deflation issue for Warner to suddenly realize, or at least suddenly tell the world, that he now has "a sliver of doubt"? It never occured to him during the massive coverage of spygate that the pats may have cheated in that SB?

He has worked as an on air analyst for the NFL Network and Fox for several years and has covered many games, including NE games--yet he has never said anything until now. Seems strange.

Two major controversies over cheating does not increase your perspective on possible cheating more than one?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, I love to bash the taint*riots for both real and imagined trangressions, but ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

It's unfair to ME and MY legacy. !@#$ you Warner.

I don't quite get everyones negative reaction. His statement doesn't seem over the top. In a game as close as that super bowl- isn't it fair of him to wonder if the pats having their calls was the difference in the game?

I took it as a truly honest reaction. I think anyone who has competed at a high level would understand his response. Should he have said it? Maybe not- but I don't believe it is ridiculous in any way.

Two major controversies over cheating does not increase your perspective on possible cheating more than one?

I think you would have to say that it does. Also, I find it hard to believe that the Pats got caught the only two times they cheated. Reason says they cheated on other occasions and got away with it. And that brings all of their success into some level of uncertainty.

I get what your saying. But I would think that, given the pats were busted for the illegal taping of signals, and there was talk of a "walkthrough tape" way back then, you either think there was something fishy in the immediate aftermath or you don't.

Look, Kurt Warner was a QB for years on several teams. He knows what that some guys prefer hard footballs, some soft. It seems a bit much for him to be shocked, SHOCKED into now doubting the legitimacy of that SB becuase he just became aware that balls on an NFL team were underinflated.

I get what your saying. But I would think that, given the pats were busted for the illegal taping of signals, and there was talk of a "walkthrough tape" way back then, you either think there was something fishy in the immediate aftermath or you don't.

Look, Kurt Warner was a QB for years on several teams. He knows what that some guys prefer hard footballs, some soft. It seems a bit much for him to be shocked, SHOCKED into now doubting the legitimacy of that SB becuase he just became aware that balls on an NFL team were underinflated.

How does "sliver of doubt" in his words and world become "shocked, SHOCKED" in your words and world?

He may have thought the spygate was an aberration. Now a lot of people think they have done this and probably other things. It would have been complete whining if he said it seven years ago. Now it seems feasible to say there is a chance.

It's unlikely that they cheated exactly two times and got caught both those times. As "Krafty" as they are I'd say odds are there are quite a few other things they've done that have never been reported.

For all of Warner's history and the "great story" he became, he's also one of the most self-centered, egotistical people I've ever heard speak. I've heard or read many anecdotes over the years about his pompousness as well. I think he's a fringe HOF candidate but will probably get in.

Saying something like "unfair to my legacy" is pretty douche-y, in my opinion.

It's unlikely that they cheated exactly two times and got caught both those times. As "Krafty" as they are I'd say odds are there are quite a few other things they've done that have never been reported.

Yup. For me, I have always thought they have flat cheated, or bent the rules, or broke the spirit of the rules for years. After reading about Ernie Adams and hearing stories about what scumbags The Devil Wears Hoodie and Kraft are a long time ago. Not to mention the partially inexplicable "just give it to them" kind of stuff. So it's no surprise at all. But for outsiders or skeptics or guys like Warner who may have to temper their public opinions, this opens a whole new can of worms which draws in stuff, regardless of its veracity, like the fumble stats.

For all of Warner's history and the "great story" he became, he's also one of the most self-centered, egotistical people I've ever heard speak. I've heard or read many anecdotes over the years about his pompousness as well. I think he's a fringe HOF candidate but will probably get in.

Saying something like "unfair to my legacy" is pretty douche-y, in my opinion.

I have a really good friend who is good friends with Warner who says he's actually a really, really great guy AND incredibly egotistical, competitive, self-centered, etc. and Warner knows he's like that and thinks it's funny.

When the spygate scandal broke out their were rumors that the patriots snuck in and video taped the Rams walk through prior to the superbowl. Everyone and their dads knew that the Rams had way more talent than the Pats did, and the only reason why the pats were able to keep the game so close was due to the fact that they physically manhandled the rams recievers, including tons of illegal contact (which wasnt a penalty at the time). The play that sticks out to me the most was Ty Laws interception right when the rams were inside the 10 yardline...He jumped a hot route and was off to the races.....I wonder if he already knew it was coming because of "film study" leading up to the game.

I remember actually rooting for the pats in that superbowl....my how times have changed.

Good thing Roger Goodell decided to destroy all the tapes (NOT!!!!)...because Im sure if they got leaked out the NFL would be the WWE of sports leagues in everyones eyes.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

I don't see him as a HOFer. He's on the border line for me personally.

I think he's a no doubter

Top 3 passing yard games in Super Bowl History

2nd all time in Super Bowl passing yards

7th all time in playoff passing yards

6th all time in playoff passing TDs

2 time NFL MVP

His run with the Cardinals at the end of his career puts him over the edge with me, he was almost as good then as his Rams run.

I have a really good friend who is good friends with Warner who says he's actually a really, really great guy AND incredibly egotistical, competitive, self-centered, etc. and Warner knows he's like that and thinks it's funny.

haha, that's exactly my perception of him. Other than he wears way too much makeup on air.

I think he's a no doubter

Top 3 passing yard games in Super Bowl History

2nd all time in Super Bowl passing yards

7th all time in playoff passing yards

6th all time in playoff passing TDs

2 time NFL MVP

His run with the Cardinals at the end of his career puts him over the edge with me, he was almost as good then as his Rams run.

I don't think there is any question at all about HOF after the Cards run.

Kurt Warner is without a doubt HOF material. Maybe not first or second ballet but he will get in. I think he's right...if they won that Super Bowl over the Pats (they came pretty dang close) he would have had that going for him on top of his impressive stats

I think you're going way beyond any reasonable interpretation of what was quoted.

Don't you think it's reasonable that you might have doubts then, which you try to squelch (or at least don't voice) in the name of getting on with life and not being a "sore loser", only to have those doubts revived when a different cheating scandal breaks involving the same cast of characters years later? It's like having a healed-over scar that still aches when it's smacked.

Warner's remarks reminded me of the exchange Howie Long had on Mike and Mike yesterday after he mentioned how sick he is of hearing skill position players whining.

Long - "You never want too many quarterbacks or leading ladies in one room together."

Greenberg - "Why?"

Long - "Catfights."

:lol:

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I have sliver of doubt that Warner's wife has always been a woman.

I have a sliver of doubt about the "hotness" and personal attributes of guys who take shots at the hotness and appearance of other men's wives.

How do you spell "gratuitous"?

Edit: actually when Warner was in St Louis, his wife was one of the world's truly annoying people in my book but not because of not glamming up her appearance on demand. She used to do radio interviews whining about how everyone was prejudiced against her husband because he professed his Christian religion and that he'd gotten benched because he was a Christian (not because he was playing like suck and couldn't hang on to the football). I'm chill with people who are strong believers and want to testify to their faith, but this was above and beyond.

Edited by Hopeful

To be fair, Warner mentioned his own personal legacy last after initially suggesting it was unfair to the legacy of others including Bellichick and the NE franchise. I don't think it was out of line for him to refer to his own legacy considering it is, in fact, quite considerable and it was perfectly natural for him to reflect introspectively, particularly in hindsight.

Warner's remarks remind me of an exchange Howie Long had on Mike and Mike yesterday after he mentioned how sick he is of hearing skill position players whining.

Long - "You never want too many quarterbacks or leading ladies in one room together."

Greenberg - "Why?"

Long - "Catfights."

:lol:

But that's funny.