Browns seem done with Johnny Manziel; enters rehab

YoloinOhio

True. Forgot that. But O'Neill was a Rex guy, too, and I would bet anything that ONeill and Pettine would be together on the sidelines discussing the amount of blitzes, versus ONeill dialing all of those up on his own and Pettine just laying back and seeing what this guy will do. It's like Marrone with Hackett last year. Hackett was allegedly calling the plays but the Smith-Gun offense was all Marroone.

They are all tight though aren't they.... Rex, Pet, O'Neill and Thurman. I can imagine Rex and Thurman standing there going "Jesus they have just blitzed up 6 times in a row...send the horses let's see how they like it" with a kind of respect for what the other is doing.

My view on Manziel was always that he didn't have the transferable skills to transition from a good college QB to a long term good NFL starter and that if he was going to success he better be "all in" mentally. He wasn't last year so had no chance. Even now he is I think he remains a longshot but hey... a long shot is better than no shot at all. All the criticisms I had of him coming out still exist though.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are all tight though aren't they.... Rex, Pet, O'Neill and Thurman. I can imagine Rex and Thurman standing there going "Jesus they have just blitzed up 6 times in a row...send the horses let's see how they like it" with a kind of respect for what the other is doing. My view on Manziel was always that he didn't have the transferable skills to transition from a good college QB to a long term good NFL starter and that if he was going to success he better be "all in" mentally. He wasn't last year so had no chance. Even now he is I think he remains a longshot but hey... a long shot is better than no shot at all. All the criticisms I had of him coming out still exist though.

They wouldn't think anyone would get hurt anymore. It's football. You could see it. Both teams blitzed almost every play. Granted, it may be partly because Pettine and ONeill thought that the best way to defend both TT and EJ with no running threat was to blitz them. And Rex and Thurman were thinking we know what these guys can do conventionally, let's see how they blitz.

Plus, above, I don't think they were doing it in a pissed off way. I think they were doing it in a brotherly fighting way.

Johnny took some steps. He looked OK in the preseason last year too and then everything fell apart. If the Browns are 1-4 with McCown or something, I can see Pettine making a switch if Manziel shows he knows the playbook and is progressing in practice. So much has to do with his dedication to the team and the film room.

I thought just the opposite. Even though they are friends, I thought one of them was thinking, "that motherfukker, if he is going to blitz that much I'm gonna blitz more!"

And then the other one thought the same thing.

Certainly possible. These are the aspects of preseason that make it interesting. What's going on behind the scenes when the Ws & Ls don't matter as much.

The reason I asked about the collusion was because it felt like Cleveland didn't come after EJ as much on the last drive. Perhaps he handled it better. Perhaps the heat came from the edge, not the A-gap. All I know is the Guards and Backs couldn't stop pressure up the middle. Then, suddenly, EJ is making plays, not getting pressured right up the gut.

I see Maniziel as the next version of Flutie, he'll be highly effective early on, then teams will figure him out....his style of play is not sustainable in the NFL, that pass across his body while on the run was absolutely beautiful, but it's not gonna last in this league.

And that play was very similar to what we saw as highlights in college. He's at his best when improvising as guys would do playing a pickup game in the park.

Johnny took some steps. He looked OK in the preseason last year too and then everything fell apart. If the Browns are 1-4 with McCown or something, I can see Pettine making a switch if Manziel shows he knows the playbook and is progressing in practice. So much has to do with his dedication to the team and the film room.

it fell apart because Johnny needed to be in rehab sooner.

They wouldn't think anyone would get hurt anymore. It's football. You could see it. Both teams blitzed almost every play. Granted, it may be partly because Pettine and ONeill thought that the best way to defend both TT and EJ with no running threat was to blitz them. And Rex and Thurman were thinking we know what these guys can do conventionally, let's see how they blitz.

Plus, above, I don't think they were doing it in a pissed off way. I think they were doing it in a brotherly fighting way.

There's a distinct possibility that they had a call before and decided they both wanted to see how qbs reacted to pressure and cbs played on islands.

http://deadspin.com/johnny-manziels-elbow-pain-is-not-going-away-1726884277

and of course on top of rehab, and the on field question marks, we now add health and throwing motion questions for Johnny Football.... chronic elbow pain as a result of his throwing motion. Pettine must really hate the homeless guy that advised the owner to take johnny

But this allowed them to bring in Pat Devlin at QB!!! The QB situation there is tragic.

The funny part is, and no games have been played so his play could change drastically (doubt it), a few people here were essentially calling for Whaley's head for neglecting to do his job by not doing everything possible to bring in Josh McCown. :doh::lol:

But this allowed them to bring in Pat Devlin at QB!!! The QB situation there is tragic.

No dude, the Bills have the worst QB situation in the league - don't you know how to read the narratives!?

After a disastrous rookie season, Manziel has shown signs of life this preseason. Also seems to have matured as a person. Hate to see that progress get derailed by a chronic elbow issue, but that's life. He reminds me a bit of Flutie.

I'm not 100% convinced Johnny's legitimately hurt enough to miss Saturday's game. I've been forced to follow the Browns more than I'd like this offseason (I went to the OSU scrimmage, watched them vs the Bills, etc) and from my POV there's no reason to play McCown over Johnny given the play the two have displayed. I could see them shutting Johnny down as a "precaution" to avoid McCown stinking up the Tampa game for 3 quarters and Johnny riding in and moving the ball against the backups.

While we've been wandering in the wilderness for a long time as Bills fans, at least we know what Whaley-Rex are trying to do (a dominant defense + legitimate playmakers). The Browns appear to be stuck in the '70s with a defense that's not nearly as good as it's hyped to be and giving the ball to guys off the scrap heap.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never thought Manziel would be good, but he's getting a golden opportunity to show the Browns what he has and take the job from Josh MehCown. I've also thought he's a bit of a douche, but this response to Merrill Hoge's criticism is great though. :lol:

"I think Merril Hoge needs to worry about his big neckties," Manziel said.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/johnny-manziel-rips-merril-hoge-220738031.html

I've never thought Manziel would be good, but he's getting a golden opportunity to show the Browns what he has and take the job from Josh MehCown. I've also thought he's a bit of a douche, but this response to Merrill Hoge's criticism is great though. :lol:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/johnny-manziel-rips-merril-hoge-220738031.html

Yeah, it was funny.

manziel is funny