Whaley on Kouandjio

Beerball

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Whaley and think he's made some nice draft picks, trades, and free agent gets but he has also done some pretty bad moves and I think CW and CK were stinkers - CW was ranked like the 77th best guard and had back problems and other injury issues, CK ran a 5.6 worst at the combine and his other test were also towards the bottom but according to Bama fans he and his brother also have degenerative arthritis of their knees which isn't the result of a bad surgery but bad genetic luck.

Glenn and Wood are the only true starting caliber players on the o-line, and both had a down year last year. CK was supposed to be a right tackle, and he was drafted in the second round for that reason. If draft talent evaluators thought he would end up being a guard (a position he had never played), CK would have been drafted much lower. I would be surprised if CK turned out to be a starter at any position on the o-line in the future. Williams should not be counted on at guard. Back injuries are tough, particularly for older players. Even when healthy, Williams should not be starting. Henderson needs to improve his play. Maybe he will, but I am not sure whether he will be the answer at right tackle.

Seems to me that we need significant upgrades for the o-line. Bringing in one new starting guard will not be enough. I think the o-line will be the real test for Whaley. Finding a QB is difficult, but it would be fair to judge him on his ability to fix the o-line because there are options available in free agency and through the draft.

I can't see Whaley and his team missing badly on a high pick. I have to think youth and maybe being overwhelmed by the situation , even perhaps he didn't respond well to Saint doug coaching but I would bet the book is not closed on him. If he develops and they sign a solid vet to play guard, Boiling wouldn't brea the bank, this line starts looking up very quickly

Edited by Tintonfallsbillsfan

I still have really high hopes for Kouandjio even though he looked awful in training camp and pre-season. I feel like everyone that played under Marrone should get a mulligan.

The line regressed so badly and seemed so lost and clueless to cope with stunting that I tend to agree.

The unanswered question on Kouandjio is, was he caught up in the general cluelessness/rookie adjustments? Or were all the rumors that dogged him about bad knees really true?

It wouldn't be the first or last time of recent years that the Bills have taken a flier on a talented guy who fell (or was available as a FA) because of health concerns. Sometimes you win (Thurman Thomas is the biggest overall example. Jim Kelly would actually be another). Sometimes you get taken (C Williams might be one recent example, Kouandjio another, Shawne Merriman would be another just a bit further back).

The line regressed so badly and seemed so lost and clueless to cope with stunting that I tend to agree.

The unanswered question on Kouandjio is, was he caught up in the general cluelessness/rookie adjustments? Or were all the rumors that dogged him about bad knees really true?

It wouldn't be the first or last time of recent years that the Bills have taken a flier on a talented guy who fell (or was available as a FA) because of health concerns. Sometimes you win (Thurman Thomas is the biggest overall example. Jim Kelly would actually be another). Sometimes you get taken (C Williams might be one recent example, Kouandjio another, Shawne Merriman would be another just a bit further back).

I was under the impression his knees were the type that make a 10 year career 8, not a week in and week out inability to play to his potential

He wouldn't be the only guy who's zenith was reached under Saban either.

Whether he plays guard or tackle the issue for him is how mobile is he? If he has slow feet and lacks adequate athleticism to react to the defense no amount of high quality coaching is going to compensate for his physical limitations.

There is nothing unusual about a rookie being inconsistent in their first year. They very often falter because they haven't adjusted to the speed of the game. With Kujo this is a very different situation. Right from the beginning he was overwhelmed and overmatched. Many sports people who were covering training camp believed that he would have been cut early in camp if he weren't such a high draft pick.

I'm very troubled by this pick and also the Richardson pick. Having a large size doesn't trump the inability to move. If you look at the makeup of our interior line last year (Richardson, Urbik, Pears)what starkly stands out is the lack of athleticism.

A lot of people blame Marrone for the poor performance of the OL. They shouldn't. It was a unit devoid of talent that played down to its level.

It is understandable why many people are critical of Marrone and his coaching abilities. (I don't fall in that category.) Marrone's specialty is the offensive line. It was apparent to him almost immediately that Kujo was a very flawed player who had the killer attribute of not being mobile and quick enough to play in this league.

• 2 weeks later...

@KevinMassare: Still hearing that Bills OL Cyrus Kouandjio has an inside track to the RG spot. Hearing Whaley/Ryan like him, Marrone did not.

Interesting. I wonder the details of this. I mean exactly what does Whaley see that Marrone did not? Was Marrone that vindictive that he would sit a player just because he did not like him?

Interesting. I wonder the details of this. I mean exactly what does Whaley see that Marrone did not? Was Marrone that vindictive that he would sit a player just because he did not like him?

if true, it could be as simple as Whaley believed in his 2nd rd pick and wanted him to get PT, and Marrone didn't think he was ready and made him inactive every week.

After the urbik stuff, even ignoring Williams, is there much doubt that marrone was possibly letting emotion trump common sense

After the urbik stuff, even ignoring Williams, is there much doubt that marrone was possibly letting emotion trump common sense

hard to know for sure but yeah, can't really give Marrone the benefit of the doubt (though I used to before), too much coincidence with him not playing Whaley's guys or not throwing to Sammy and then marching into Pegs office and asking for personnel control.