A case for Ruben Brown

frogger

I know we all support the Steve Tasker for the hall of fame, but I'd like to make a case for Ruben Brown as a hall of famer and added to the wall of fame. He was a 9 time pro bowler and 4 time all pro, he went to the super bowl with the Bears.

I know that the last 15 years have not been great, but I believe Brown is the last Bills' drafted HOF.

even at the time i struggled considering him the best out there, and suspect that he was a guy that benefited from being at a position thats easy to keep sending the same person. not saying he was a terrible player, just that he didnt strike me as a guy who had play that matched his all time ELITE resume.

Edited by NoSaint

For whatever reason, Ruben Brown will never get a fair shake around here. His peers thought very highly of him, but hey..... what the heck do they know?

He gets a fair shake....many just don't believe he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

No. He was good for a long time, but not elite. Pro-bowl and All Pro mean nothing. Wasn't there something about guys kept voting him to the probowl because of his barbecue?

Somewhere out there, there's someone who would read this and say, "Well, that totally justifies deflating footballs."

Too bad he quit on the Bills at the end of the 2003 season. He can go into the HOF as a Bear though.

If you only knew the truth about those circumstances... Do you think Russ and the bills would embrace him the way they do if he "quit"?

Consider the head coach and coaching staff at the time.

Also, he should at least get a nod and mention as a preliminary nominee. If you look at the list every year there are some players weren't 1/2 the players ruben was...

Edited by RalphOP83

No. He was good for a long time, but not elite. Pro-bowl and All Pro mean nothing. Wasn't there something about guys kept voting him to the probowl because of his barbecue?

I'm with you guys on this. I never felt Ruben was elite.

Maybe my memory is off but I think I remember him collecting quite a number of yellow flags.

I'm with you guys on this. I never felt Ruben was elite.

Maybe my memory is off but I think I remember him collecting quite a number of yellow flags.

I also remember the yellow flags; holding and motion at critical times.

He was not better than Richter.

Yes he was. Richter was a nice player on a great line. He was a great college player and a pretty good pro. He was durable and went to 2 Pro Bowls. Ruben Brown was a 9 time Pro Bowler and a 4 time All Pro. Even if someone were to argue that Brown went to 3 Pro Bowls on reputation alone that would still leave him in 6 Pro Bowls and on 4 All Pro teams.

I am not trying to just use awards but it is tough to quantify OL contributions otherwise. The point being that there were many seasons in which Ruben Brown was considered one of the best OG's in the world. There were not many where you could say the same about Richter.

Let's look at the other Bills O-lineman on the Wall of Fame...

Billy Shaw- 5x 1st team All-Pro, 2x 2nd team All-Pro, 8 Pro Bowls. 9 NFL seasons, all with Bills

Joe DeLamielleure- 3x 1st team All-Pro, 4x 2nd team All-Pro, 6 Pro Bowls ( 1 was w/ Cleveland). 8 of his 13 NFL seasons with Bills.

Kent Hull- 2x 1st team All-Pro, 3 Pro Bowls. 11 NFL seasons, all with Bills

Jim Ritcher- 1x 2nd team All-Pro, 2 Pro Bowls. 14 of 16 NFL seasons with Bills

Ruben Brown- 2x 1st team All-Pro, 2x 2nd team All-Pro, 9 Pro Bowls. 9 of 13 NFL seasons with Bills.

While I think Brown was a real good player for us, I really never saw him as dominant. But his accolades stand up against all of these guys, 2 of which are rock-solid HOFers. Voters are going to look at All Pro teams & Pro Bowls, which are quantifiable, I doubt they go back & actually look at film on OGs.

I think Ruben deserves to be on the Wall. I'm not sure he's HOF material, but I won't be surprised if he squeaks in.

Maybe not the HOF but certainly the Wall of Fame. Ruben was a much better player than Hansen or Richter to name a few.

Agreed 100%. So was Eric Moulds. So was Aaron Schobel. So was Reggie McKenzie (before my time but this is what I understand to be the case). Ritcher and Hansen going up is kinda like when Bert Blyleven got in the Hall of Fame. It makes you wonder if the Bills are around for a long time how are they gonna have room for every solid, steady guard who plays for the Bills for an extended period of time. No disrespect whatsoever by the way, I loved Jim Ritcher. But you get the sense that the WOF was more than a little political- especially with Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist somehow not up there- and I guess we'll find out if that changes with Ralph's passing. EDIT: didn't realize Ritcher played 14 years for the Bills. That changes things a bit. I take it back. Still think Hansen going up before Moulds and Brown is suspect though.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Agreed 100%. So was Eric Moulds. So was Aaron Schobel. So was Reggie McKenzie (before my time but this is what I understand to be the case). Ritcher and Hansen going up is kinda like when Bert Blyleven got in the Hall of Fame. It makes you wonder if the Bills are around for a long time how are they gonna have room for every solid, steady guard who plays for the Bills for an extended period of time. No disrespect whatsoever by the way, I loved Jim Ritcher. But you get the sense that the WOF was more than a little political- especially with Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist somehow not up there- and I guess we'll find out if that changes with Ralph's passing. EDIT: didn't realize Ritcher played 14 years for the Bills. That changes things a bit. I take it back. Still think Hansen going up before Moulds and Brown is suspect though.

Perfectly said on all fronts!! I am okay with those guys going up I guess but not at the expense of the more deserving people that you mentioned.