New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Except you don't dribble a football. And my recollection from basketball is that those extra 1-2 pumps, while they're evident in dribbling, aren't discernible in passing or shooting.

You catch a football though, and a limited "bounce factor" most certainly helps in the catching when the ball is being thrown at you at 50mph (?) by an NFL caliber QB.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh BS. Then who is responsible for inflating the game balls to the NFL's regulation limits?

Bellycheat knows all the rules down to an ineligible eligible receiver yet know nothing about how to treat a game ball?

I'd imagine the head coach, especially with a hall of fame qb, might grant him SOME freedom to prep them how he pleases. You are acting like BB manually controls it himself down to the act of inflation and grit on the sandpaper scuffing them up.

Odds are he's not completely in the dark, and may even be fully aware but it's not terribly crazy to think this is one he wouldnt be as closely involved in past a basic approval to keep them as soft as they can get away with

Or not. Technically, if the league's measuring the pressure in indoor conditions, and the balls are compliant with the minimum, the team's still compliant even if the outdoor temperature drops the pressure during the game. That's a flaw (a fairly significant one, but not critical) in the league's controls.

Once again, beyond the cheating aspect, we have another example of the arbitrary, incomplete, and ass-headed nature of league rules and policies.

That I'll get on board with, regardless of what comes out of this

Brady warned us after the Divisional Round where he laughed at the Ravens for not knowing the rules:

"Maybe those guys gotta study the rule book and figure it out. We obviously knew what we were doing and we made some pretty important plays. It was a real good weapon for us. Maybe well have something in store next week. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/tom-brady-ravens-study-the-rule-book

Add to it Brady pushed for the rule (along with Manning), and then knowingly broke them. The guy is classless. I hope a reporter has the balls to throw this quote as well as the laughing "I don't know anything about that" after the game he threw out.

Great point!!

You catch a football though, and a limited "bounce factor" most certainly helps in the catching when the ball is being thrown at you at 50mph (?) by an NFL caliber QB.

Yeah...which also explains why the refs wouldn't necessarily notice.

if they blame the ball boy it opens a whole new ball of wax. Why did the ball boy try to undermine Brady and the team?

That would be interesting. The Pats could claim a conspiracy where the ball boy or someone else deflated the balls then alert the other team who naturally would report it to the officials. The Pats would cry a setup took place and could blame it on any Pat hater in the world and then they would be blameless. The NFL would then have to hire "a high profile investigator" to figure out the mystery but it would never be solved and the Pats get off free and clear.

My gut says given all the bad press about what some are calling DeflateGate the league would probably be happy if NE lost SB49. That would end the story right then and there. And if by some miracle we see the Patriots get called for offensive holding, Brady gets hit and there's no roughing call, or if Gronk actually gets a PI call for pushing off arms fully extended against the defender for the first time ever then I'll be really suspicious.

And if by some miracle we see the Patriots get called for offensive holding, Brady gets hit and there's no roughing call, or if Gronk actually gets a PI call for pushing off arms fully extended against the defender for the first time ever then I'll be really suspicious.

It's funny to think that this is what the NFL has become - fans getting suspicious if the Pats* don't get the calls :lol:

Amazing how much silly and senseless debate ensues on a NFL matter which is nothing but an accusation of cheating based on nothing but a made-up rumour unsubstantiated by the NFL. Yet, we have people suggesting fines and suspensions as punishment. What a world :rolleyes:

Edited by Pneumonic

Amazing how much silly and senseless debate ensues on a NFL matter which is nothing but an accusation of cheating which appears to be nothing but a made-up rumour unsubstantiated by the NFL. Yet, we have people suggesting fines and suspensions as punishment. What a world :rolleyes:

Umm, the NFL has confirmed 11 of the 12 balls were significantly under-inflated. I don't know how much more "substantiation" is required. The only issue is determining who will take the fall, or if the league will sweep it under the rug. But it happened.

Umm, the NFL has confirmed 11 of the 12 balls were significantly under-inflated. I don't know how much more "substantiation" is required. The only issue is determining who will take the fall, or if the league will sweep it under the rug. But it happened.

I know they have not disputed Morts report, and i could be wrong but i don't think they have confirmed it either. I think the non-denial is as good as a confirmation though from those butt clowns.

And this makes for great fun in an otherwise boring week

Edited by plenzmd1