Marrone hired as Jags OL coach

YoloinOhio

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? I can see him taking over if they fire Bradley mid-season but that rarely translates into the gig the following year.

I can see him taking over, doing okay, then interviewing for more jobs in 2016. Whether that's in Jax or elsewhere, like the Fins, Cleveland etc. Like a holdover position to try to be an HC next season.

Hmmm

@RyInCBus: Lulz. RT @spotrac: Per @SportsTaxMan, a move to Jacksonville (FL), means Doug Marrones $4M buyout from the #Bills will now be tax free.

I wonder if that is accurate. It might depend on how it is paid. I am not a tax expert, but I wonder if the $4M is fully guaranteed and vested fully upon his opt out, then New York might treat it as income earned in NY to a NY resident.

The Bills gave Dick LeBeau an Assistant Head Coach title and but not Coordinator in 2003, so I can't rip Marrone/Jags too hard for that.

It really only makes sense to give the AsstHC title to your most prized position coach. If another team wants your coordinator for a HC spot, then the AHC title does nothing to stop them.

Giving it to a position's coach protects against them getting picked off to be a coordinator somewhere else without you having to be the bad guy and deny the interview.

I wonder if that is accurate. It might depend on how it is paid. I am not a tax expert, but I wonder if the $4M is fully guaranteed and vested fully upon his opt out, then New York might treat it as income earned in NY to a NY resident.

im not an expert either but I figured @sportstaxman was lol. I'm sure we will find out.

Hmmm

@RyInCBus: Lulz. RT @spotrac: Per @SportsTaxMan, a move to Jacksonville (FL), means Doug Marrones $4M buyout from the #Bills will now be tax free.

Not really. Still gotta pay federal taxes and FL gas tax makes up for the income tax a bit. Better to have the tourists pay for us!

That was horrible. I would've been less tortured if the link was to a peter pan pixieland photo

I'm not sure who was in more pain, me listening to that or that poor guy trying to sing while passing a kidney stone. Must have been a big one.

If he becomes FL resident he will pay no state tax on $4M that the Bills owe him, correct?

(Attorney - former Tax consultant - tax rules change a lot though).

I'm pretty sure that state taxation rules are based on the Source of the income. Which would be NY.

(but, compare: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901427-why-does-income-from-a-non-income-tax-state-get-taxed-on-my-state-return

TurboTax uses the term "residency," which might be more accurate. TT focuses on your residency when the income was earned. DM should be considered to have earned his 4M in NY).

Edited by maddenboy