Rex explains why he freed Schwartz to go elsewhere

BmarvB

Worthless article/reason ...

I'm sure that he and Schwartz discussed it.

It's highly conceivable that Schwartz wants to be entirely in charge of D and with Ryan around that won't be possible. Given the choice most fans would rather have Ryan and his choices for assistants.

It's highly conceivable that Schwartz wants to be entirely in charge of D and with Ryan around that won't be possible. Given the choice most fans would rather have Ryan and his choices for assistants.

My belief is that if it ain't broke, don't F*** with it. Granted Rex is a very good DC, but Schwartz has proven that he is too. They just have different ways of doing the same thing. I'm inclined to trust Rex on this one, but I'm hoping he does more to enhance what Schwartz accomplished as opposed to changing it altogether.

Worthless article/reason ...

I have no doubt they spoke to each other. Letting him go so its easier for him to land another gig is considerate, and a reason to let him go now (as opposed to 1-2 months from now), but its not a reason for why he was let go to begin with.

Maybe its me, but the article reeks of "crap, I have a deadline, I need to write something".

Wish we had gotten something for Schwartz. Even a 4th round pick to replace the one we lost from the Watkins trade would have been nice. Should have allowed him to interview elsewhere then ask for compensation when an offer came in.

we got a 4th for Lynch and SJ13. We might get a 7th for the Swchartz

If Schwartz had one more year like last year IMO he'd be up for head coaching jobs and we'd lose him anyway. I just didn't see a way Schwartz stays around for 5 years, so I'd rather have Rex Ryan than be left with Marrone as head coach without Schwartz.

Rex will be overseeing the defense with a guy who he successfully worked with before.

Disappointed a little but not worried at all. Their philosophies are a bit different from a blitzing stand point, and as mentioned above Schwartz was probably going to move on in a year leaving Rex in a learch

Rex will be overseeing the defense with a guy who he successfully worked with before.

Disappointed a little but not worried at all. Their philosophies are a bit different from a blitzing stand point, and as mentioned above Schwartz was probably going to move on in a year leaving Rex in a learch

Could you imagine the same scenario but leaving Marrone in a learch? Now we have Marrone, Hackett and some LB coach from a donkey team that Doug knows as our DC.

I am disappointed that they lost Schwartz too, but lets not forget, the Bills wanted him to stay...he wanted to leave. The last thing the Bills (or any team) need is to have coordinators and head coaches butting heads... Schwartz is as emotional as Rex... I honestly don't think they would mix well. Schwartz did a great job, no reason to think that Ryan/Thurman can't get similar results. The talent available is a big factor...

I just hope he can resolve the 3rd and forever syndrome they have on defense where if they don't get the sack, they get burned for the big play.

Well Schwartz had solved that. We had the best 3rd down defense in the league last year. People's minds always go back to a few big 3rd and long conversions over the course of a season because those types of plays change games. However, I promise you - every team in the NFL gives a handful of those up. You have to accept that in the NFL the other guys are highly paid, talented athletes too and sometimes they are going to make plays. We had the best 3rd down defense in the National Football League.

This is the way I interpreted what happened:

1) The Bills and Rex wanted to Keep JS.

2) JS either did not want to stay or was not on board with whatever defense the Bills are going to run.

3) There is a short window for assistants to hook on as an HC or an assistant with another team.

4) The Bills did him a favor (given the above) by terminating him to allow him to get another job that he presumably would want more now.

5) By terminating JS, the Bills will continue to pay his salary going forward (with or without an off set depending on his contract).

Not that this has anything to do with the article, buuuuut - Jim Schwartz is the BEST example of TBD in action!

Our D becomes killer under Pettine in '13, at end of season, everyone freaks out that he's leaving.

Then everyone REALLY freaks out when they find Pettine is being replaced by Schwartz, with his ineffective Wide-9, Wannastache-esqe lack of blitzing, undisciplined teams and brash attitude. We were doomed!

Then our D lights it up in '14.

Now it's time for Schwartz to move on and everyone once again freaks, but now because we're losing Jim, rather than having him join the team!

Good news kids, at least we're replacing Schwartz with one of the few dudes out there that actually has chops to maybe do even better. Maybe we save our freak outs for when things are actually bad?

Edited by Heitz

Not that this has anything to do with the article, buuuuut - Jim Schwartz is the BEST example of TBD in action!

Our D becomes killer under Pettine in '13, at end of season, everyone freaks out that he's leaving.

Then everyone REALLY freaks out when they find Pettine is being replaced by Schwartz, with his ineffective Wide-9, Wannastache-esqe lack of blitzing, undisciplined teams and brash attitude. We were doomed!

Then our D lights it up in '14.

Now it's time for Schwartz to move on and everyone once again freaks, but now because we're losing Jim, rather than having him join the team!

Good news kids, at least we're replacing Schwartz with one of the few dudes out there that actually has chops to maybe do even better. Maybe we save our freak outs for when things are actually bad?

Crossman is another good example of this.